TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

pyTiVo: is it okay to rename show titles?

So when I transfer shows to my NAS using pyTiVo, they show up as two files per show:

<showname>.TiVo <- actual show
<showname>.TiVo.txt <- metadata file

Can I rename both using the Window Explorer rename (in other words, the F2 key), and will they then show up with those new show names when I view a share on NP on a TiVo? I'm not sure how the TiVo is able to link/pair up those files internally.

This has come up, because some of my wife's folders within shares contain a good number of eps, and my wife wants to see the shows in ep order.

I came up with an idea where I could create a DOS batch file to rename all shows to contain the ep number in the filename, then she could direct her TiVo to display NP in show name order.

BTW, my idea on creating this batch file is like this:

1. Do a DIR *.txt > filename.txt in DOS
2. Do a copy *.txt filename2.txt in DOS
3. Open filename2.txt in Excel
3a) do a text to columns command, then search for the episode parameter in column A, and column B should have the ep number.
3b) strip out all other rows so I just have a list of ep numbers
3c) open file filename.txt in Excel, and splice the two together to form a spreadsheet with filename and ep number in separate columns
3d) edit that spreadsheet to contain DOS commands: (RENAME <filename1> <filename2>, and save it as a DOS batch file, and execute it.

But before embarking on this, I'd like to know if this approach will even accomplish what I'm seeking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Yes, I do it all the time. I also decrypt it to .mpg as then it can go to any Tivo or computer without the Tivo Desktop extension installed.

I use KMTTG to download shows and had setup a unique filename system so they would not get overwritten by accident. I use PyTivo as well to do action such as push to Tivo. I can also edit the .tivo.txt or .mpg.txt files to access its title and description, etc. I can use epguide.com for title info and expand what info the Tivo gave.

Such as:
ShowTitle - 0101 - EpisodeTitle.mpg.txt

The first 2 numbers indicate season, and last the last 2 indicate episode. If you go to the folder where your videos are stored with Windows Explorer, it is sorted.

KMTTG and PyTivo works well together.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 03-12-2013 at 06:37 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
So when I transfer shows to my NAS using pyTiVo, they show up as two files per show:

<showname>.TiVo <- actual show
<showname>.TiVo.txt <- metadata file

Can I rename both using the Window Explorer rename (in other words, the F2 key), and will they then show up with those new show names when I view a share on NP on a TiVo? I'm not sure how the TiVo is able to link/pair up those files internally.
The TiVo doesn't link them; pyTivo does. You can freely rename them, as long as you keep the names matching each other (i.e. "filename" and "filename.txt").

But this will not change how they appear on the TiVo. For that, you'd need to adjust the titles that are within the metadata (.txt) file... and even that isn't enough, in the case of a .TiVo file. For every other file type, the metadata .txt file is the last word. But the data stored in the .TiVo file overrides everything else. If you change the contents of the metadata .txt file, but not the .TiVo file itself, then the new name will be shown when browsing the remote file list, but only until you select the .TiVo file, at which point its internal title replaces the one from the .txt.

If you decrypt the file to an .mpg, you can freely set the metadata.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
timckelley
TCFer

Thank you. (Btw, a cleaner solution than fiddling with excel and batch files occurred to me: I could design a MS Access database that presents a drop down of folder names, and VB code could make all the changes.) So if I understand correctly, for .tivo files, if I rename the files and adjust the titles inside the metadata, then when viewing the list of eps on a TV, inside the folder, the ep numbers I put in the titles will be visible, and as she scrolls through them, she can pick an ep, but when she presses <select>, the the title will revert? That seems fine since by then she's already identified and selected the specific ep she wants.

But then I now wonder this: when sorting the NP list by title, would it sort by my renamed titles, or by the titles embedded inside the ..TiVo files?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
So if I understand correctly
Yes.

Quote:
But then I now wonder this: when sorting the NP list by title, would it sort by my renamed titles, or by the titles embedded inside the ..TiVo files?
By the time it's transferred to the TiVo, the embedded title in the .TiVo file has already overridden everything else.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If you don't really care about the metadata for the file, just transfer it from the Tivo and have it automatically decrypt it to "normal" mpg format with no metadata file. Then you can rename and transfer back to the Tivo with the new name. I did this so my wife can just run her exercise videos from the Tivo instead of having to load VHS tapes. Should have noted that I use kmttg to get the files from the Tivo and pyTivo to make them visible to the Tivo for transfer back.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
VHS tapes.
I used to use that alot to record and play my shows, used to also get TVGuide magazines to get the TV info/times to record. Boy, was it limiting, 6 hrs per tape, and the TVGuide only gets updated once a week.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
By the time it's transferred to the TiVo, the embedded title in the .TiVo file has already overridden everything else.
I guess this is slightly confusing, because if it's overridden everything else, then I'd think the renamed filenames wouldn't be visible in the share folder. Oh wait, I think I see the confusion. My question is really this: without transferring to the TiVo... what if we use the remote to view the shares on the NP menu, so that the files are still residing on the NAS. If NP is set to sort by show name, I'm wondering: would the folders (inside the share) containing renamed files be sorted by the renamed filenames, or by the original names in the .TiVo files? I'm inferring from your answer that once we transfer them from the NAS back to the TiVo, the internal .TiVo names override everthing else, presumably I guess including the names visible in Now Playing. So I guess all vestiges of the renamed shows would be gone once this transfer happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
If you don't really care about the metadata for the file, just transfer it from the Tivo and have it automatically decrypt it to "normal" mpg format with no metadata file.
Depending on the answer above, if it turns out that decrypting to mpg is the way to go, then I figure why not also fix the metafile while I'm at it, since it sounds like the metafile controls all and persists, once we go to mpg format. Well yes, there's the extra tedious work involved in modifying metafiles, though if I make the MS Access database utility I talked about, this task would be mostly automated. (And I feel it wouldn't take me long to develop such a database, as VB for Access is actually the language I'm most proficient in.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
My question is really this: without transferring to the TiVo... what if we use the remote to view the shares on the NP menu, so that the files are still residing on the NAS. If NP is set to sort by show name, I'm wondering: would the folders (inside the share) containing renamed files be sorted by the renamed filenames, or by the original names in the .TiVo files?
In that case, the actual filenames are used. (Which can be confusing, since the metadata is used for the displayed titles, but not for sorting.)

Quote:
So I guess all vestiges of the renamed shows would be gone once this transfer happens?
Yep.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
lrhorer

This is very powerful. The sorting of the program names is done by the OS based upon the filename. The display title on the NPL, however, is based upon the name in the metadata. Thus, when dealing with a series or movie franchise, I name the files based upon their chronological relationships. For example:

Harry Potter 01 and the Sorcerers Stone (Recorded Wed Jun 20, 2012, MAXHD).mp4
Harry Potter 02 and the Chamber of Secrets (Recorded Wed Sep 26, 2012, BluRay).mp4
ER - S01 E12 The Gift (Recorded Thu Mar 26, 2009, TNTHD).mp4
ER - S01 E13 Happy New Year (Recorded Fri Mar 27, 2009, TNTHD).mp4

all come out sorted chronologically by default in the NPL. Then, of course, I also employ databse mangement in vidmgr to produce sorts by genre, director, date recorded, date last pushed to a TiVo, actor, grouped by the alpha of the first character in the name, grouped by release year, etc.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote