TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
maury

Weird transfer question

I, of course, ran into the transfer problem everyone seemed to have around 2/15, but after I fixed it (with the help of a great thread on tivo community), I transferred a video which came across about 40% smaller file size than reported on the tivo premiere itself. Tivo Desktop is my default transfer mechanism.

First I transferred some files via kmttg (using all defaults) when tivo desktop didn't work, and everything seemed normal. Then I got the tivo desktop transfer working & transferred 2 more files. One came across normally (HD), the other (SD) didn't.

I didn't compare file sizes until I noticed the playback seemed inferior to me (B&W movie on TCM). Then I noticed tivo reported this a around 4.1 GB, but what came across was only 2.5 GB. I then tried a kmttg transfer. In kmttg's view of the tivo's program list, showed 4.10 GB, but when I brought it across, I got the same result (2.5) as Tivo desktop. Ostensibly, the file size reported by tivo is not supposed to be accurate, but I find that it typically is very close... and 2 GB/hr of SD for this channel is pretty typical.

I transferred a second movie reported as the same size (4.1 GB) from the same channel, with the same result (~2.5 GB).

It's driving me crazy that I can't determine whether I have an anomaly or a real quality issue.

Last edited by maury : 03-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
moyekj

TTG transfers do not give you exactly the same file as stored on the TiVo. There is decrypt, demux, remux, encrypt happening before you get the file which is why TTG has historically been pretty CPU intensive and slow and also why sometimes TTG transfers can give you partial files because of glitches in recording.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
I, of course, ran into the transfer problem everyone seemed to have around 2/15, but after I fixed it (with the help of a great thread on tivo community), I transferred a video which came across about 40% smaller file size than reported on the tivo premiere itself. Tivo Desktop is my default transfer mechanism.

First I transferred some files via kmttg (using all defaults) when tivo desktop didn't work, and everything seemed normal. Then I got the tivo desktop transfer working & transferred 2 more files. One came across normally (HD), the other (SD) didn't.

I didn't compare file sizes until I noticed the playback seemed inferior to me (B&W movie on TCM). Then I noticed tivo reported this a around 4.1 GB, but what came across was only 2.5 GB. I then tried a kmttg transfer. In kmttg's view of the tivo's program list, showed 4.10 GB, but when I brought it across, I got the same result (2.5) as Tivo desktop. Ostensibly, the file size reported by tivo is not supposed to be accurate, but I find that it typically is very close... and 2 GB/min of SD for this channel is pretty typical.

I transferred a second movie reported as the same size (4.1 GB) from the same channel, with the same result (~2.5 GB).

It's driving me crazy that I can't determine whether I have an anomaly or a real quality issue.
It's a known bug for small SD files. Either 2.1 or 4.2 display. Desktop shows correct size, usually just under 1GB per hour. Search other, slightly older threads. It's a display problem, not a size problem.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
maury

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
TTG transfers do not give you exactly the same file as stored on the TiVo. There is decrypt, demux, remux, encrypt happening before you get the file which is why TTG has historically been pretty CPU intensive and slow and also why sometimes TTG transfers can give you partial files because of glitches in recording.
The smaller size was both from kmttg and Tivo desktop, but the weird thing is that this has never happened before. I have transferred hundreds of shows, and edited quite a few for commercials, and not one of them has ever been different than the size reported by tivo. As a matter of fact, tivo, tivo desktop, kmttg, and Windows Explorer have always agreed on the file size, and this was consistent between a 32 bit XP machine, and a 64 bit Win7 machine (not that it shouldn't be, but just one more variable introduced).

Although it could be a reporting error, I'm just wondering why all of a sudden it's just now doing this after 18 months? Also, because of the consistent history of never seeing a discrepancy over time, and the fact that GB/hour is not a hard fast rule, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not losing something.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
The smaller size was both from kmttg and Tivo desktop, but the weird thing is that this has never happened before. I have transferred hundreds of shows, and edited quite a few for commercials, and not one of them has ever been different than the size reported by tivo. As a matter of fact, tivo, tivo desktop, kmttg, and Windows Explorer have always agreed on the file size, and this was consistent between a 32 bit XP machine, and a 64 bit Win7 machine (not that it shouldn't be, but just one more variable introduced).

Although it could be a reporting error, I'm just wondering why all of a sudden it's just now doing this after 18 months? Also, because of the consistent history of never seeing a discrepancy over time, and the fact that GB/hour is not a hard fast rule, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not losing something.
It's always been different, but not to the tune of 4GB->2.5GB. The transferred files are usually on the order of 90-95% the size they are on the TiVo. They are never as big as on the TiVo.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
maury

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's always been different, but not to the tune of 4GB->2.5GB. The transferred files are usually on the order of 90-95% the size they are on the TiVo. They are never as big as on the TiVo.
That's what I'm talking about. If it was a 200 MB smaller, it wouldn't matter to me. I've noticed that, too. I'm stumped as to what happened since the last time - maybe a month ago - that made me lose 40% on these 2 transfers (I haven't done any SD since, but will again soon).
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
unitron

"...2 GB/min..."

You meant per hour, right?

There's another thread around here somewhere about S4's (since a recent software update) reporting shows as larger than they really are, and apparently 4GB or so is the minimum no matter how short the show.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
maury

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
"...2 GB/min..."

You meant per hour, right?
Yes, & I fixed it. Nice to know someone is reading the whole thing!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
It's not "just now". This has been true since the latest Tivo software update, at least (maybe one before that)?

It's really annoying (saying every file is 2.05 GB). I don't have absolute proof, but it SEEMS like the Tivo itself thinks the files are this big too, and SEEMS to delete suggestions/recently deleted sooner because of the false sizes.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote