TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Thos19

TiVo Desktop: Can't see PC from "My Shows"

New owner of a TiVo Premiere 4 (upgraded from Series 3). Tivo Desktop on my PC sees my TiVo, and allows me to copy shows to my PC. I was able to download back to my TiVo until today, where the PC is no longer listed at the bottom of the My Shows list. Back at my PC, Tivo Desktop still sees my TiVo and successfully uploaded a show as a test.

I noticed that my pictures and music were not listed on the TiVo under "Music & Photo's" section, so I did a restart of the TiVo from the menu. Upon rebooting, I now have my photos and pictures listed and I can safely access. But still my PC is not listed under my shows.

Any suggestions? A reboot by unplugging from back of unit?

Thos.

Edit: second reboot fixed problem. Never mind.

Last edited by Thos19 : 01-26-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Thos19

As a follow up, this still does seem to happen intermittently.

The easiest (and quickest) way to fix, is to go to my PC and pause/resume the server. Following that, my shows, pictures and music are once again listed via the TiVo menu(s).

Anyone else encounter this issue?

Thos.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yes. Although my problem was the Tivo Server would stop running.
Turns out I had a corrupted(?) video in my My Tivo Recordings folder.

When I emptied out the MTR folder (I moved all the recordings to another folder), I no longer had any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Thos19

Thanks, Steve! I'll give that a try.

Thos.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
When I emptied out the MTR folder (I moved all the recordings to another folder), I no longer had any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
Thanks, Steve! I'll give that a try.
thos, i have also been having issues with the "now playing" link disappearing at the bottom of the "my shows" list. this started last november (update related?).

at first i called tech support, we uninstalled/reinstalled tivo desktop, and that restored the link, but it disappeared again in a couple of weeks, so i searched tcf for a solution.

i started using the pause/resume server option with tivo desktop to restore the link. i found out by experimenting that refreshing the internet settings on premiere (same values, just repeat setup) on tivo will restore the link too, without a trip to the pc.

did you try moving your recordings to another folder like steve suggested, and if so, did it permenantly resolve the issue for you?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Thos19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
thos, i have also been having issues with the "now playing" link disappearing at the bottom of the "my shows" list. this started last november (update related?).

at first i called tech support, we uninstalled/reinstalled tivo desktop, and that restored the link, but it disappeared again in a couple of weeks, so i searched tcf for a solution.

i started using the pause/resume server option with tivo desktop to restore the link. i found out by experimenting that refreshing the internet settings on premiere (same values, just repeat setup) on tivo will restore the link too, without a trip to the pc.

did you try moving your recordings to another folder like steve suggested, and if so, did it permenantly resolve the issue for you?
Hey NA,

I tried Steve's suggestion, but that didn't seem to solve the problem either.

However, I found in another thread a different solution that has worked for me. If you open Tivo Desktop, and click the menu item "services", then "TiVo service properties", you can choose between "Bonjour" and "Tivo Beacon". I switched to TiVo Beacon, and have not had any further issues.

My PC is now always listed at the bottom of "My Shows", and "My Photos" and "My Music" links are back under Photos and Music. Not sure why this fixed things, especially since according to the set-up, "Bonjour" is "preferred".

Hopefully it would work for you, too...

Thos.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
I found in another thread a different solution that has worked for me. If you open Tivo Desktop, and click the menu item "services", then "TiVo service properties", you can choose between "Bonjour" and "Tivo Beacon". I switched to TiVo Beacon, and have not had any further issues
thanks for the info thos, it's greatly appreciated. i'll give it a try, and post my results in a few days...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
sehale

Hopefully the others' suggestions will help you but what works for me is to go to the Network settings on the Tivo and essentially re-establish the wireless link (re-select your home network, etc. etc.).
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehale View Post
what works for me is to go to the Network settings on the Tivo and essentially re-establish the wireless link
yes, that works for me too, and so does a pause/resume of the tivo desktop server. heck, you can even uninstall/reinstall tivo desktop software to re-establish the link.

what i'm hoping is that making the change in the network properties stops the link from disappearing for good.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
what i'm hoping is that making the change in the network properties stops the link from disappearing for good.
It should. I find that Tivo Beacon is much more reliable than Bonjour.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Tivo Beacon is much more reliable than Bonjour
looks like the switch from bonjour to tivo beacon solved the problem for good, thanks to everyone for their help!