TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
SerSpense

S2 w/ serial connection no longer changing channels

We have 3 S2s (all single tuner) attached via serial ports to our Motorola cable boxes (2 are DCT2244, one is DCT2524). About 2 days ago, all 3 lost the ability to change channels. The cable remote still changes channels successfully. All connections have been checked, and Guided Setup and Settings run and re-run, checked and double checked.

We talked to Comcast, and they are playing dumb (and unhelpful). It sure does feel as if they've pushed some sort of change they won't admit to.

I remember having to use IR connectors back in the bad old days, and I sincerely DO NOT want to go back there. Nor do I want to "solve" this by having to buy new machines, when these have been plugging along just fine for our needs until now (one is lifetime).

Is there something we're forgetting? Any ideas about what else to check? Any experiences with Comcast disabling serial control in these boxes?
SerSpense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
sharkster

IMO, it's the cable company. Just over a year ago I suddenly had this happen with both of my Series 2 Tivos (two completely different models - one Tivo branded and one Toshiba Tivo/DVD player). I was using serial.

I made numerous calls to the cable co (Charter, in my case) and to Tivo. Nobody knew what it was and everybody said that they had not made any changes lately. Yet, on the same day both Tivos suddenly had massive problems with channel-changing.

I was advised to try changing to the IR and that helped just a little bit for one of them, but not at all for the other. The IR thing was truly ridiculous, which is why I went with the serial connection from the beginning.

I finally relented and replaced both of them with Series 4 Tivos (Premieres) last March. Thankfully, the newer ones don't have those silly connector things for channel-changing and the problem went away.

To this day I think it was some change in cable that caused it because it happened to both of my machines on the same date.

I must say, I don't miss having cable boxes but the only one downside is that you no longer have 'on demand' unless your cable co is hooked up with it for Tivo in your area (Charter here isn't).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

It's likely the cable company disabled the serial port on the cable boxes. Your only options are the ones you don't want to do - IR or new Tivo.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
SerSpense

Thank you both for answering; I appreciate the confirmation. We're still deciding what we'll end up with, and in the meantime are trying a Comcast DVR. I have to say I'm not enjoying either the interface or the feeling that I've been manipulated, so it may go back soon. We have many decisions to make, and it's been helpful to have your input so that we could stop wobbling around wondering whether there was more we could do with our current configuration.
SerSpense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
sharkster

I hope you're able to construct a 'fix' for this problem, but I fear it's terminal. I tried everything I could think of and everything the people on the phone at Tivo could think of. The cable people didn't even have any suggestions or advice.

I hate spending that kind of money and, although the equipment still 'works', it is rendered unusable.

One of my S2 Tivos has lifetime and it just sits here in a box, up in my office. The worst part of that was that it didn't have lifetime but the guy on the phone at Tivo, from whom I purchased my two Premieres, talked me into getting the $99 Lifetime for it so that I could use it for storage. Seemed like the perfect idea to me. He lied - I could not transfer HD content onto it, so that was $99 down the tubes. By the time I realized this it was too late to get my money back.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote