Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Game of thrones -Valar Morghulis-s2e10 6/3/12

I don't know exactly what I wanted in the season finale, but I feel like I didn't get it.

The wide shot of the undead army at the end was cool.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Daaaaaymn! I think they saved their CG budget for this episode so we could finally see the dragons and some white walkers
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Those dragons looked amazing.

Loved that Dany kept her promise that those who wronged her will be destroyed. Or something like that.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Questions.

Last time we saw Stannis (previous episode) he was captured. Now he was back at his castle? Did I miss something?

So Qarth was all fake gold/jewels? (all show?)

Can someone explain difference between whitewalkers & wildlings? Didn't realize till just these past few episodes they were different...

What was up with dude changing faces? Huh?
NatasNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
chronatog7
Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Dragons looked awesome. I like the episode. After Blackwater, it was a view of things to come and how the pieces fell after the dust settle. There were three very strong "love" scenes. I was happy to see Drogo.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Here is my take on the questions:

Stannis- he wasn't captured he was dragged away by his own men before he could be captured

Qarth - the gold/jewels on display were real, but the guys claims about being rich were lies and it was all for show. I believe someone here even suspected the vault was empty

Whitewalkers - supernatural boogeyman tha people tell stories about.

Wildlings - normal people that live beyond the wall, usually in small tribes and unorganized

Jaqen - caught me off guard, had to change faces sinces Jaqen is "dead". I wish arya went with him to learn how to kill for the red god
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Questions.
Can someone explain difference between whitewalkers & wildlings? Didn't realize till just these past few episodes they were different...

What was up with dude changing faces? Huh?
White walkers are some as yet completely understood entity. The fan theory is they are an undead of sorts. Wildlings are the humans that live north of the wall. They follow the old gods and are tribal.

Hagr and his changing face is a Faceless Man. You will learn more about them in the next few seasons. Basically, they are skilled assassins who can change their appearance to blend in or get away.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
White walkers are some as yet completely understood entity. The fan theory is they are an undead of sorts. Wildlings are the humans that live north of the wall. They follow the old gods and are tribal.
The white walkers are the undead. That was shown last season when the dead man became a white walker at the wall. That's also why the wildlings burn everyone they kill, to prevent them from coming back as white walkers. Tonight when they burnt Qoren Halfhand a wilding said, "I wouldn't want him coming back after me."

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
The white walkers are the undead. That was shown last season when the dead man became a white walker at the wall. That's also why the wildlings burn everyone they kill, to prevent them from coming back as white walkers. Tonight when they burnt Qoren Halfhand a wilding said, "I wouldn't want him coming back after me."

tk

The undead are called
Spoiler:
wights
. A White Walker is what you saw riding the horse.

Last edited by cherry ghost : 06-04-2012 at 12:34 AM.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

So let's see. We have fire dragons beyond the Narrow Sea. We have ice zombies beyond the Wall.

So I guess eventually they get together and sing a song?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
tlc

Alright! Another zombie show!

Damn. There was a really good line I wanted to remember...
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude
Qarth - the gold/jewels on display were real, but the guys claims about being rich were lies and it was all for show. I believe someone here even suspected the vault was empty.
Yeah. That was me.

I also said that Breinne would cut Jamie's jewels off. Right action. Wrong guy.

I said that Tyrion would get dissed.

I said that Dany & the dragons could toast the house.

Totally unemcumbered by reading the books.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
john4200

I thought Brienne looked rather clumsy during her fight with the three men. I was expecting her to be more controlled, with precise and deliberate movements. But she seemed to flail around instead. She was quick, but did not seem like an expert with the sword to me.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Hagr and his changing face is a Faceless Man. You will learn more about them in the next few seasons. Basically, they are skilled assassins who can change their appearance to blend in or get away.
Looks like they're analagous to the Dune universe "Face dancers."

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #15
markb

I don't really understand what happened at Winterfell. Who burnt down the castle? Theon's men as they retreated?
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

You aren't supposed to know what happened to Winterfell I believe. Plus this has played out differently than the book, although not so much that they can't end up in the same place.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
LordKronos

So what did we see there at the end? Was that just an army of White Walkers separate from Mance Rayder, or is Mance Rayder a whitewalker? I saw lots of the gray camouflage outfits the wildlings wear, and earlier this season we did see cooperation between a wildling (the dude that marries his daughters) and a white walker.

What was Varys after in the brothel? Was he just trying to locate shae, or was he after something more?

I figured stannis was going to come back darker than before, and it looks like we are on track.

I wasn't so thrilled with the whole Dany scene...especially the ending. It just didn't feel like this show. Something about the way it was produced. It also felt rushed...like they tried to squeeze too much into too little time. I know that's how the entire show is, but the rest of it doesn't really feel rushed.

So what happened to all of the men waiting outside of winterfell? Where did they all go to, that the iron men were able torch the place and then just waltz away? Was the whole horn thing a ruse they put on to torment Theon?

Disappointed (but not surprised) that Tyrion got absolutely no credit. Not surprised Joffrey dumped Sansa for Margery (though I am surprised it took so much prodding). Did I see correctly, was Sansa relieved and smiling while walking away? As stupid as she's been, I figured she'd run away crying or something? Guess she should have gone with the Hound.

Last edited by LordKronos : 06-04-2012 at 10:38 AM.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

I hate the way Joffrey sits on the throne, slumped to the side like he's too cool to sit up straight.

Sansa should have exited, stage left with the Hound. Girl can't do nothin' right.

The principal from Community underestimated Dany and her dragons. So much for his magic.

I hope Tyrion gets his revenge next season.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

since you touched on every topic I wanted to get to, I figured I'd chop up your post for my purposes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
So what did we see there at the end? Was that just an army of White Walkers separate from Mance Rayder, or is Mance Rayder a whitewalker? I saw lots of the gray camouflage outfits the wildlings wear, and earlier this season we did see cooperation between a wildling (the dude that marries his daughters) and a white walker.
As I understand it, The Wildings/Rayder and the White Walkers are 2 separate entities. The Wildings are just as afraid of the WW as people south of the wall. But the big ender for the season is the reveal of the size and organization of the WW army

Quote:
What was Varys after in the brothel? Was he just trying to locate shae, or was he after something more?
I thought it was the head spy recruiting a spy to work for him (and spy on Littlefinger). Especially now that Littlefinger has risen very high and got Harrenhall. He is now a much bigger threat and Varys is putting his pawns in place.

Quote:
I wasn't so thrilled with the whole Dany scene...especially the ending. It just didn't feel like this show. Something about the way it was produced. It also felt rushed...like they tried to squeeze too much into too little time. I know that's how the entire show is, but the rest of it doesn't really feel rushed.
Same here. I thought at least she would declare herself the queen of Qarth; not get a little ship and go home!

Quote:
So what happened to all of the men waiting outside of winterfell? Where did they all go to, that the iron men were able torch the place and then just waltz away? Was the whole horn thing a ruse they put on to torment Theon?
I thought Theon would be handed over to the men outside (and that still may have been). But Winterfell burning seems strange. My theory is that Yara told the men to bring Theon home by any means necessary. They knew he would not listen so they knocked him out and burned the place down to cover their escape. The siege men are not there because they are chasing the Iron Island people.

Quote:
Disappointed (but not surprised) that Tyrion got absolutely no credit. Not surprised Joffrey dumped Sansa for Margery (though I am surprised it took so much prodding). Did I see correctly, was Sansa relieved and smiling while walking away? As stupid as she's been, I figured she'd run away crying or something? Guess she should have gone with the Hound.
Sansa is back on my total idiot list. She should have gone with the Hound. I hope Joffrey rapes and tortures her!

(I can't believe I just wrote that last part!)
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
It was a couple white walkers, the ones on horses with the ice-looking swords, leading many more wights. The wights are reanimated dead creatures (human, horse, etc). Everyone, Night's Watch and wildlings alike, is afraid of this bunch.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I can't remember how much of this we know this from the show yet or just the books, and even if it hasn't explicitly been spelled out it should be pretty obvious by now, but...
Spoiler:
the White Walkers are what is coming back, who have the Wildlings so terrified they're gathering together to flee south. They've been hanging over the series since literally the first scene, but this is the first time we've seen them in full force, if that IS their full force. They're also why the Wall was built and why the Watch exists, although most people seem to have forgotten that.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I thought Brienne looked rather clumsy during her fight with the three men. I was expecting her to be more controlled, with precise and deliberate movements. But she seemed to flail around instead. She was quick, but did not seem like an expert with the sword to me.
Are you kidding? She was surrounded (guys in front and behind), and she managed to disable 1 and kill 2 others in about 4 seconds. She accomplished that about as gracefully as one could.

I think Jamie was impressed. I wonder if we'll here any more of him attempting to goad her into a swordfight. Like Ned said early on, Jamie picks his opponents well. He may no longer be interested in picking this one.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

My favorite line was Littlefinger to Sansa:

"We are all liars here one and all and all better than you." After her statement about Kingslanding being her home now.

Though I am almost certainly paraphrasing.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I can't remember how much of this we know this from the show yet or just the books, and even if it hasn't explicitly been spelled out it should be pretty obvious by now, but...
Spoiler:
the White Walkers are what is coming back, who have the Wildlings so terrified they're gathering together to flee south. They've been hanging over the series since literally the first scene, but this is the first time we've seen them in full force, if that IS their full force. They're also why the Wall was built and why the Watch exists, although most people seem to have forgotten that.
Yeah, but clearly not everyone is afraid of them, since Castor apparently has some pact with them. And we know that some wildlings are fleeing individually. But I don't recall anything that would specifically eliminate the possibility that they are the same army. That said, it's probably not the case.

Also, I'll say I'm surprised to see so much of the white walkers this early. I was sure they weren't going to hit bit for a few more season, though maybe they are just going to spend the next few seasons slowly building them up.

But that horn that we hear...isn't that horn at the wall? And it blew 3 blasts, so the white walkers have to be visible from the wall.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Yeah, but clearly not everyone is afraid of them, since Castor apparently has some pact with them. And we know that some wildlings are fleeing individually. But I don't recall anything that would specifically eliminate the possibility that they are the same army. That said, it's probably not the case.

Also, I'll say I'm surprised to see so much of the white walkers this early. I was sure they weren't going to hit bit for a few more season, though maybe they are just going to spend the next few seasons slowly building them up.

But that horn that we hear...isn't that horn at the wall? And it blew 3 blasts, so the white walkers have to be visible from the wall.
No, that big hill they were headed towards is the Fist of the First Men, which is where the Nights Watch camp is. The horn blasts would have come from rangers who were on watch around the Fist.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
"We are all liars here one and all and all better than you." After her statement about Kingslanding being her home now.

Though I am almost certainly paraphrasing.
Close enough. "Look around you, we are all liers here, and every one of us is better than you".

Littlefinger is clearly trying to make another play for Cat here. If he keeps this up, by the end of the series he just might be able to wear her down enough to get Cat to simply say no without her being offended by the idea. :-)

About Harrenhall, wasn't that already promised to (or given to) someone else? I think Tyrion used it as his bait earlier this season (when he was testing Littlefinger/Varys/Pycelle), but it seemed like there was someone else that had it, though maybe I'm just mixing it up. I know The Mountain is temporarily holding it, but it seemed like someone more permanent.

Actually, just checked season 1 episode 7: Joffrey named Janos Slynt lord of Harrenahll, and that it be passed to his sons and grandsons. So what happened there? Was Janos Slynt the guy that Tyrion/Bronn had sent away? Was noone able to locate him? Did he have no kids to pass it down to?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

You have it right. Tyrion took it away from him when he sent him to the Night's Watch and gave Bronn the job.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I don't know exactly what I wanted in the season finale, but I feel like I didn't get it.

The wide shot of the undead army at the end was cool.
This....but the ending was still good.

I, for one, am not interested much in Dany and her Dragons (unless she gets naked, then I'm VERY interested!! ). For some reason that whole plotline seemed VERY secondary all season.

Looks like Tywin just used Tyrion. Very sad indeed, but, you can see Tyrion's wheels are already spinning. He said something like, I enjoy outsmarting them (perhaps HE should have been the "little person" who played Survivor last season ). So it will be interesting to see how he does this.

I agree, Sansa is an idiot....what could she possibly gain from staying in King's Landing? Does she think she's going to still be Queen? I'm not getting this.

Arya is still my my favorite character. I think she's smarter than than the whole lot of them, and eventually, when she gets in a position of power, I pity the rest of them. I wonder if this is going to lead to a battle of will between Arya and Dany eventually.

Jon Snow is still an idiot!

Robb Stark, is becoming one. He's not seeing the big picture. But love has blinded many a men. If he doesn't see how he's going to lose alliances and this could be his downfall, maybe he's not the leader we thought he was.

And..uggh....another zombie show. Disappointed, but I guess I should have seen this happening. I guess I'll just have to see how this plays out. I'm too invested in this show to care that much that there's zombies I guess.

And.....oh yeah, long wait until S3. Very sad.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #29
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
since you touched on every topic I wanted to get to, I figured I'd chop up your post for my purposes!
And I to you!

Quote:
I thought it was the head spy recruiting a spy to work for him (and spy on Littlefinger). Especially now that Littlefinger has risen very high and got Harrenhall. He is now a much bigger threat and Varys is putting his pawns in place.
This is right on. Varys just trying to get intel. It was nice to see more of Varys and his methods. Find the weak spots and exploit them.

Quote:
Same here. I thought at least she would declare herself the queen of Qarth; not get a little ship and go home!
Why be Queen of Qarth? She's got her dragons, money for a ship. Time to start heading west, no?

Quote:
I thought Theon would be handed over to the men outside (and that still may have been). But Winterfell burning seems strange. My theory is that Yara told the men to bring Theon home by any means necessary. They knew he would not listen so they knocked him out and burned the place down to cover their escape. The siege men are not there because they are chasing the Iron Island people.
The show was pretty vague on this whole section. I don't know exactly where they are going with it, but suffice it to say that we just don't really know what happened. Last we know, the Ironborn had a hood over Theon's head, said they were going home, and 500 northmen were outside the gates (Bolton's bastard son leading them, fair to assume).

Quote:
Sansa is back on my total idiot list. She should have gone with the Hound. I hope Joffrey rapes and tortures her!
Don't know that I can agree. Was the Hound really a knight in shining armor? And she was definitely happy at first about not marrying Joffrey!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Littlefinger is clearly trying to make another play for Cat here. If he keeps this up, by the end of the series he just might be able to wear her down enough to get Cat to simply say no without her being offended by the idea. :-)
For a while there I got the impression he was making the moves on Sansa. Either to protect her, or to ensure those offspring that he talked about earlier in the episode.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote