TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
pdeminico

Problem with metadata

Hi all,
Definitely a newbie question on metadata. I'm trying to group shows that I'm pushing to my Tivo Series 4 using pyTivo.

I have two problems that I can't seem to figure out why it's happening based on what I've read here. First, no matter what I've tried, I cannot get the Tivo to show an episode title for my pushes.

Then I kept the same series show, with the same series id tag and changed the name of the title and the shows were organized by the title and not grouped in the same folder.

Below is an example of my first tries. I pushed episodes 1 and 2. All I changed in the metadata for these two, were the episode title: field

description :
isEpisode : true
seriesTitle : Superfriends: The Lost Episodes
title : E02 Warpland
episodeTitle : E02 Warpland
seriesId : SH888801
time : 1983-09-10T12:16:34Z
displayMajorNumber : 0
callsign : 2015
showingBits : 0
episodeNumber : 2

Both episodes were grouped together; however there was no episode title on the Tivo.

So then I tried changing the title but keep the series id the same as shown below. All this did was create another post, in a different folder from above

description :
seriesTitle : Superfriends: The Lost Episodes-04
title : Superfriends: The Lost Episodes-04
episodeTitle : E04 Revenge of Doom-A Pint of Life-Day of the Dinosaurs
seriesId : SH888801
time : 1983-09-10T12:16:34Z
displayMajorNumber : 0
callsign : 2015
showingBits : 0
episodeNumber : 4

I am putting the metdata in the same folder as the videos are in. The episodes would be superfriends the lost episodes.avi and my metadata is labelled superfriends the lost episodes.txt.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and ow to group all of these shows together AND to show episode title?
Thanks

pdeminico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeminico View Post
The episodes would be superfriends the lost episodes.avi and my metadata is labelled superfriends the lost episodes.txt.
It would need to be "superfriends the lost episodes.avi.txt"

Also -- and maybe the above is misleading? -- but you should use different filenames for each episode, e.g. "superfriends the lost episodes 01.avi".

Also, omit the blank "description" lines (or put a description).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
pdeminico

Episode number

Thanks for the quick response. SO I tried your suggestion and for some reason, no matter what I tried, nothing worked as hoped.

So I tried a new series to push over and tried used MetagGenerator. With this, I was able to keep all the videos in the same folder and I can see the episode titles as I expected finally; however, no matter what I do I can't get the field episodeNumber to display anywhere. So as a workaround, I now typed the episode title with the episode number first and tat stayed - so not great, but I can live with that.

Copy of metadata that I used for the new videos:

title : DuckTales
seriesTitle : DuckTales
episodeTitle : S1E06 Armstrong
episodeNumber : 006
description : Gyro Gearloose builds a robot that can do anything efficiently and effectively. Then it goes berserk and takes over Scrooge's empire.
seriesId : DT00000001
vSeriesGenre : Animation
vSeriesGenre : Children
vPrimaryGenre : Animation
vActor : Young|Alan
vActor : Taylor|Russi
vActor : McGovern|Terrance
vActor : McCann|Chuck
vActor : Cummings|Brian
vActor : Welker|Frank
vActor : Smith|Hal
vActor : Camp|Hamilton
vActor : Gerber|Joan
vActor : Foray|June
vActor : Freeman|Kathleen
vActor : Anselmo|Tony
vActor : Cullen|Peter
image : Duck Tales - 006 -Armstrong.avi.jpg

Also, I don't have any idea why the jpg art is not being pushed although it appears that I'm now able to see the description under where the jpg art should be.

Thanks to all, appreciate the help for a newbie.

pdeminico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, the TiVo only uses the episodeNumber field in the old, "standard-definition" user interface (SDUI). In the new, "high-definition" user interface (HDUI), the TiVo ignores that field, and the only way to control the episode number display (which is now Season, Episode) is by including a valid programId, which the TiVo uses to look up the numbers. (A valid programId overrides the contents of many other fields, too, so the description, etc. aren't necessarily what you sent.)

The same is true for the "image" field, except that's never been used in either the SDUI or HDUI. It's only there for the benefit of other programs, like Streambaby, that can use pyTivo-format metadata, and generate their own displays, via HME or otherwise. (By "the same is true", I mean that the metadata "image" field does nothing, but the TiVo will use a valid programId to look up the artwork for the HDUI, if available.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Metagenerator 3 optionally can look up programId either for all episodes of a series (checkbox at bottom of TV show tab) or on a per-season or per-episode basis (right-click on season or episode). This is time consuming. A large series can take around a minute. And it occasionally is inaccurate.

Also you can customize what MG3 puts in the title. Look on the settings tab about half way down.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
leswar
leswar

For programId info I visit zap2it and search the show's episodes. The programId will appear in your browser's address bar for each episode you mouse over or actually click on. Just copy and paste that portion of the address bar you need.

leswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
supercaijin

Metadata push?

Hello all.
I am new to tivo,pytivo,kmttg, etc. Just installed everything yesterday, in fact.

I am trying to understand how the pull/push works.

I want to pull recordings off of a series 2 tivo and transfer to a new roamio. The tivos have different MAKs.

I was able to get the recordings on the new roamio but have two issues:

1.> Transferred recordings show a red 'x' through the pyTivo pull-menu.

2.> Kmttg gives me an error when I attempt to push a metadata file xxx.mp4.txt. Specifically: This is not a valid video file to be pushed

Can someone point me in the relevant direction?

supercaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercaijin View Post
Hello all.
I am new to tivo,pytivo,kmttg, etc. Just installed everything yesterday, in fact.

I am trying to understand how the pull/push works.

I want to pull recordings off of a series 2 tivo and transfer to a new roamio. The tivos have different MAKs.

I was able to get the recordings on the new roamio but have two issues:

1.> Transferred recordings show a red 'x' through the pyTivo pull-menu.
Pushed recordings are always marked "Copy Protected:.

Quote:
2.> Kmttg gives me an error when I attempt to push a metadata file xxx.mp4.txt. Specifically: This is not a valid video file to be pushed
You don't push a metadata file. You push the associated recording.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
supercaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Pushed recordings are always marked "Copy Protected:.
So in the distant future I would not be able to retrieve the recording to put on my future tivos?

Quote:
You don't push a metadata file. You push the associated recording.
So is there no way for a tivo to have the metadata info in order to display recording info? Should kmttg have Metadata checked in addition to push? The recordings I am able to push have no associated details with the recordings.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by supercaijin; 02-02-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
So in the distant future I would not be able to retrieve the recording to put on my future tivos?
Either leave them on your PC or pull them to the TiVo instead of pushing.

Quote:
So is there no way for a tivo to have the metadata info in order to display recording info? Should kmttg have Metadata checked in addition to push? The recordings I am able to push have no associated details with the recordings.
The simple answer is that if the metadata file is in the same folder as the recording and has the correct name, then pyTiVo will process it and send the metadata to the PC with the recording.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
HerronScott

You would be better off moving then to the same account with the same MAK and pulling to the new Roamio.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
supercaijin

Quote:
pull them to the TiVo
Is that a euphemism for use plex or some other tivo-client-program for streaming? I assume there is no client to allow me to pull recordings from pyTivo shares to the tivo?

Quote:
same folder
Nope.

Quote:
pyTiVo will process it
So would the processing take place on-the-fly and create one video file with embedded metadata? Does it matter how I encoded the file on the initial pull? Would the copy-protect be sensitive to the encoding type?

Quote:
send the metadata to the PC with the recording.
Did you mean to the tivo?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #13
supercaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
same account
Agreed but, unfortunately, a point-of-contention for me.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
Is that a euphemism for use plex or some other tivo-client-program for streaming? I assume there is no client to allow me to pull recordings from pyTivo shares to the tivo?
You mean besides pyTivo? The pyTivo shares should show up in "My Shows" of the TiVos. If you select a recording via the share entry, you should be able to transfer it.

Quote:
Nope.
What do you mean by that?

Quote:
So would the processing take place on-the-fly and create one video file with embedded metadata? Does it matter how I encoded the file on the initial pull? Would the copy-protect be sensitive to the encoding type?
Has nothing to do with the encoding type.

Quote:
Did you mean to the tivo?
Yes. Sorry about that.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
supercaijin

Quote:
same folder

Quote:
Nope.
What do you mean by that?.
Meaning that I attempted pushing with relevant and aptly-named metadata file in same folder and I got the same result; no information about the recording.

Quote:
You mean besides pyTivo? The pyTivo shares should show up in "My Shows" of the TiVos.
Believe it or not this was the piece of information I was missing. After my last post I noticed this on the series 2 tivo. I have been doing all my testing on the new system with a Tivo Mini, so I might be missing the fact that the roamio can pick it up. I will have to check it out tomorrow; but I am willing to bet I'll be able to get it that way. *facepalm*

Many thanks!! @Ipwcomp