TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
PSUlion01

DVD Encodes Appear Windowboxed - HELP

Hi all,

Curious, but all of my Handbrake encodes (Universal setting, as well as High Profile), require me to hit the 'Zoom' button on my remote (I have a TiVo Premiere) in order to fill the screen, resulting in a nasty hit to the quality. When I say fill the screen, I mean fill it with the intended aspect ratio. When the TiVo is set to the 'Full' setting, I get a windowboxed video (letterboxing and pillarboxing). I assume I've got to change some video or picture setting when encoding, but I don't know which one.

The encodes are all from DVD media and are done as anamorphic. From what I can tell, there are no issues or need to zoom when playing the same files on my AppleTV or Roku3. Anyone else experience this or know what needs to be set when encoding so the video doesn't need to be zoomed to be represented on the screen correctly?

As I mentioned, I've got a Premiere and have PyTiVoX running to serve up content. I've seen some threads about 'streaming' the video files, but my setup only allows me to transfer them to the TiVo. The folders I'm sharing appear in My Shows. Is this a PyTivoX issue and not a Handbrake/encoding issue?

Thanks!

PSUlion01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Why do you even need to encode anyway? DVDs has the video files as .VOB which is .MPG basically. How does the video look before you did the encoding? And after? Do people appear squished tall and skinny?

I have had recorded from a channel where the screen showed everything squished and I used VideoReDo (only for Windows) to save with the option set to 16x9 from the original 4:3.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
PSUlion01

I do the encodes so I can load onto my iPhone or iPad (for travel, commuting, etc). I'd love to just rip and store everything that way, but the reality is I watch most of the stuff during my almost 4 hours of my work commute.

As I mentioned, on other devices everything is fine. It's only on the TiVo that it gets messed up. If I set to 'Full' I'll have black bars all around, 'Wide' stretches and the side bars go away but everything is squished short, and 'Zoom' fits the screen with the correct letterboxing, but the quality is now in the crapper. Still trying to sort it out, and trying to get Streambaby set up to see if streaming, vs. transferring to the tivo results in something different.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
moyekj

Using the ancient/unsupported pyTivoX is likely the problem. Update to using pyTivo and it will probably work and if not you can get help. pyTivoX hasn't been updated in years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, my guess would be that the old version of pyTivo included with pyTivoX is failing to recognize the Premiere as an HD unit, so it's reencoding the video to 4:3 letterboxed SD, as it would for a Series 2. But I haven't verified that.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
PSUlion01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yes, my guess would be that the old version of pyTivo included with pyTivoX is failing to recognize the Premiere as an HD unit, so it's reencoding the video to 4:3 letterboxed SD, as it would for a Series 2. But I haven't verified that.

I think this may be what's happening. The quality is that bad that it could be that it's been re-encoded.

I downloaded, set up and ran the new pytivo. I think the problem may be fixed now, but need to compare a newly-transferred file with a previously-transferred file. Been trying to get Streambaby set up, but for some reason TiVo isn't seeing it, despite it being up and running on my server computer.

Thanks for the help with pytivo though.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUlion01 View Post
Been trying to get Streambaby set up, but for some reason TiVo isn't seeing it, despite it being up and running on my server computer.
Try reboot of HDUI which is the following sequence from TiVo Central:
Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Play, Play

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Try reboot of HDUI which is the following sequence from TiVo Central:
Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Play, Play
Correction: Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
PSUlion01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I tried that, still not there. It should be in the 'Apps' section, right? I also tried adding it as an app manually by keying in the IP address of the computer running streambaby, but that's giving me error code 310 (little help on the TiVo site and google). I'm going to try a reboot of my TiVo tomorrow to see if that works.

Also, I have the tiivo hard wired into a wireless bridge that connects to my router and modem over wifi. Perhaps that's causing some issue with connecting to the ip of the server, but pytivo worked fine so I dunno...

Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUlion01 View Post
I tried that, still not there. It should be in the 'Apps' section, right? I also tried adding it as an app manually by keying in the IP address of the computer running streambaby, but that's giving me error code 310 (little help on the TiVo site and google). I'm going to try a reboot of my TiVo tomorrow to see if that works.

Also, I have the tiivo hard wired into a wireless bridge that connects to my router and modem over wifi. Perhaps that's causing some issue with connecting to the ip of the server, but pytivo worked fine so I dunno...
That sequence is an HD Menu reset, which is done on the Tivo Central menu with your remote.

I haven't used streambaby in a long while, but it worked then on the Series 3.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~