TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Patrick

TiVo App without internet access

Is there a way to watch content downloaded through the TiVo app while I don't have internet access, such as on an airplane?

The app doesn't allow login without an internet connection, so it's not possible to play the downloaded content through the app if there isn't an internet connection present.

Any suggestions of alternate apps to use to view the downloaded content?
I really like the simplicity of downloading the content directly from the TiVo app, so it would be great to be able to play the content during flights.

TiVo App version: 3.2.0-89662

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
fflewddur
R&D

There are a few different tools that let you transfer recordings from a TiVo for offline viewing.

KMTTG is probably the most popular (https://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/), cTiVo is a nice tool if you have a Mac (https://github.com/dscottbuch/cTiVo), and I've recently put together Archivo (http://straylightlabs.net/archivo/), which aims to make the process as painless as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Cross-platform app for archiving TiVo recordings to your computer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Java app and library for decrypting TiVo files
fflewddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
alleybj

You don't have to log in or have an internet connection to watch downloaded shows on the app. I watch them on planes all the time.

alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
You don't have to log in or have an internet connection to watch downloaded shows on the app. I watch them on planes all the time.
Absolutely. I usually just switch to Airplane mode and get a warning about that when starting iOS App, but then I'm able to watch downloaded content without issue.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 AM   #5
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Absolutely. I usually just switch to Airplane mode and get a warning about that when starting iOS App, but then I'm able to watch downloaded content without issue.
I'm using the Android app, perhaps there's some difference between the IOS and Android apps?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
lew

I'm using the same version. Are you sure you've downloaded shows to your device? In airplane mode my login screen gives me the option to watch downloaded programs without logging in.

edited to add: Did you download any copy protected programs? As an experiment make sure the only programs downloaded to your device have no restrictions then try.

Last edited by lew; 05-20-2016 at 09:12 AM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Patrick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I'm using the same version. Are you sure you've downloaded shows to your device? In airplane mode my login screen gives me the option to watch downloaded programs without logging in.

edited to add: Did you download any copy protected programs? As an experiment make sure the only programs downloaded to your device have no restrictions then try.
Yes, I had content downloaded to both of my devices and they weren't showing the "Shows on Phone" button.

I now have this working. I had to uninstall the TiVo app, then re-install it. After re-downloading my content, this fixed the issue on both my Nexus 6P and my Nexus 9 tablet where I wasn't getting the "Shows On Phone" button.

Not sure if it was a problem with the content or the app, but it seems to be working now.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. Lesson learned, test in airplane mode before boarding the plane

Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
MaryT

I had the same issue today. App opens and immediately goes to the background. I tried I'm my phone, older iPad, and iPad Air. Same results on all.

It used to work on the older versions of the app.

What's the point of downloading if you can't watch offline ?

MaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryT View Post
I had the same issue today. App opens and immediately goes to the background. I tried I'm my phone, older iPad, and iPad Air. Same results on all.

It used to work on the older versions of the app.

What's the point of downloading if you can't watch offline ?
As mentioned above, turn on Airplane mode and then it should work.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
MaryT

I was on airplane mode and it didn't work on any device. I just checked it again with the same results.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
oscarfish

I've got a Nexus 5X running Android 6.0.1. The Tivo app will not allow me to do anything other than return to the signin page when the device is in airplane mode. So, I can not view any already downloaded programs without an internet connection.

I first ran into this a little over a month ago while traveling. It was kind of inconvenient. I spent some time trying to troubleshoot it, but essentially gave up.

My Nexus 7 (2013) did not behave this way. The Nexus 7 worked fine in airplane mode.

Unless someone publishes a magic fix, or it's fixed at Tivos end, my intention when I get back into this is uninstall and reinstall the Tivo app. I think I read something about that helping some people.

I don't know why I think this, but I think something Tivo app related is failing at bootup time. I'll continue my guess that it's getting some sort of authentication keys which allows the app to work offline.

oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
MaryT

The update today fixed the problem. I can now view downloaded content with airplane mode on. Apparently the May 31 update. Caused the problem