TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
McCaffertee

Pictures & Music on TIVO ROAMIO from External Drive

All i want to do is access/play my personal music and view my personal pictures thru the TIVO Roamio if possible.

I have a TIVO Roamio. Apple TV. Apple Time Capsule. Apple Airport. External Drive. Denon AVR. Mac Mini. And/or will buy whatever is needed to make this "just work".

Obviously, i don't want to use all devices, so what is the absolute simplest way to play my personal music and view my pictures? Can i connect an external HD or plug in a network cable?

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by McCaffertee : 02-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.
McCaffertee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Check out pyTivo. I'm not a Mac user, but pyTivo runs on Macs and should take care of everything you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
McCaffertee

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Check out [ I'm not a Mac user, but pyTivo runs on Macs and should take care of everything you're looking for.
Thanks...but that is part of what i DON'T WANT, is to rely on my Mac... i am trying to make a stand-alone media center that anybody in my house can use.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, well to answer the "Can i connect an external HD or plug in a network cable?" ... no.

I assume your Roamio is already on your home network? That would obviously be the first requirement. pyTivo will run on some NAS devices, but it sounds like you have just an external drive, so that won't work. If you don't want to rely on the Mac, you'll need some sort of "server" that's running all the time.

Personally, I run Linux on a cheap mini PC. It runs pyTivo for sharing videos (from a connected NAS) to the TiVos in the house (and does music and photos too, although with the Pandora and other apps we don't use those as much).

|
Old 02-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I've served music and photos directly from a WD My Cloud, using pyTivo. The music has to be in MP3 format, and the pictures are kind of slow to come up, but it works.

In principle it could probably run on the Time Capsule, but I'm not sure that's been cracked.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-23-2015 at 11:06 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
McCaffertee

Thanks guys, i appreciate the time to answer my questions.

I think TIVO is missing out here. If i could access my music and pictures simply by adding a link to their folders, it would make life so simple.

BUT, this means i have to get another "thing" to add to my stuff. So, i guess i need a Mac Mini or PC, then the TIVO interface will connect with this pity setup?

Again, thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah if TiVo supported DLNA this would probably be easier, but as it stands now you need to run third-party software (pyTivo, streambaby, etc.) to serve up your own media to the DVR.

|