TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Gaidin43

THX video on TiVo premiere XL. How to recover it?

I just got a TiVo premiere XL and clear and deleted everything to set it up and seems like I deleted the THX video.

I have researched this issue and all the threads seem to be a couple of years old.

Has anyone figured out a way to get this back? Or recover this file? Will TiVo push this video back out to the box?
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaidin43 View Post
I just got a TiVo premiere XL and clear and deleted everything to set it up and seems like I deleted the THX video.

I have researched this issue and all the threads seem to be a couple of years old.

Has anyone figured out a way to get this back? Or recover this file? Will TiVo push this video back out to the box?
Once gone it's gone! Sorry!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Mike-Wolf

Quote:

You can always try to find it on YouTube I went through the same thing when I first purchased the Premiere with the "TiVo Premiere Tour" 5 part series. Loved having that on my device for whatever reason. Now I can only find it for download in SD instead of the HD version that was originally on the device.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Gaidin43

The unit I bought still had an extended warranty and they are sending a replacement unit to me to fix the issue.

Amazing me this simple programming issue isn't in settings somewhere.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
WVZR1

Quote:
The unit I bought still had an extended warranty and they are sending a replacement unit to me to fix the issue.

Amazing me this simple programming issue isn't in settings somewhere.
You're very fortunate BUT the extended warranty is a "one time use" only and you're using it to replace a machine with "no other issues"? You might want to reconsider, I don't believe that to be using the warranty wisely OR if it's near end of the warranty there's no issue.

If the warranty purchase is recent you might want to see if you can purchase the extended on the replacement! I've heard both yes they will sell and no they won't. Post back!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Gaidin43

The warranty is good till December this year.

I am going to contact them tomorrow to see if I can buy the warranty on the new unit as well.

I am surprised they only have a 90 day warranty standard. I though all consumer electronics in US had to have a 1 year limited warranty?

Last edited by Gaidin43 : 03-16-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
WVZR1

Quote:
The warranty is good till December this year.
You're sacrificing 9 months of warranty for the THX? Will they sell you another extended warranty on your replacement?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
chrispitude

My Premiere is a regular and not an XL, but it truly boggles my mind that this file isn't read-only. Truly short-sighted.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
My Premiere is a regular and not an XL, but it truly boggles my mind that this file isn't read-only. Truly short-sighted.
Too bad there isn't a way to transfer the video off the TiVo. I wouldn't mind having that file myself, or at least seeing it.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Mike-Wolf

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
Worf

Quote:
I am surprised they only have a 90 day warranty standard. I though all consumer electronics in US had to have a 1 year limited warranty?
Nope. Tons of products only have 90 day warranties. A 1 year warranty is the exception these days, not the norm.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Nope. Tons of products only have 90 day warranties. A 1 year warranty is the exception these days, not the norm.
I know with Dell small/medium and larger Latitude and OptiPlex business line computers it's a standard three year warranty. Although I don't know if that's what you meant.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
teklock

Quote:

I don't ever recall that video. Where is it located?
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teklock View Post
I don't ever recall that video. Where is it located?
If you have an XL it's near the bottom of "MY SHOWS" in the HD Menu.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #15
dsnotgood

I'm pretty sure I can transfer it off my tivo to computer using kmttg.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
I'm pretty sure I can transfer it off my tivo to computer using kmttg.
I'm pretty sure if that were possible, someone would have done it by now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I'm pretty sure if that were possible, someone would have done it by now.
Even if you can't do it by kmttg...you could always just use the component outputs and get the same video out.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:

Is it truly deleted? Did you check in the recently deleted folder to see if it's still there? (Or did you clear this folder out already?)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Gaidin43

Nope I checked that folder before calling. It looks like I will be able to get a new warranty for the new unit as well not 100% on this yet I will let you know if it works.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
darock159

I put some calibration videos together from AVS HD 709 and then converted it to be used on the TiVo. It should do everything the THX video did but is able to be moved and stored on a computer. Instructions on how to use it are in the zip file. Hope this helps.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1m-...it?usp=sharing
darock159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I can't believe someone would return a TiVo, set up a CableCard all over again, and buy a new warranty, all because a video is missing.

I have never used that silly video sitting on my Elite box.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I can't believe someone would return a TiVo, set up a CableCard all over again, and buy a new warranty, all because a video is missing.

I have never used that silly video sitting on my Elite box.
It is hard to believe yes! There's a possibility of receiving a box that actually has REAL issues!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by darock159 View Post
I put some calibration videos together from AVS HD 709 and then converted it to be used on the TiVo. It should do everything the THX video did but is able to be moved and stored on a computer. Instructions on how to use it are in the zip file. Hope this helps.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1m-...it?usp=sharing
Is it anything like this? http://www.w6rz.net/
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #24
Gaidin43

Box is used and about two years old. I didn't pay for the first warranty and traded a premiere plus $150 for an elite XL 4. I just got a new 3 year warranty on the new box. If there are issues with the new box it will be covered. Overall I am happy with the deal and made out on it I think.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
WVZR1

Quote:
Box is used and about two years old. I didn't pay for the first warranty and traded a premiere plus $150 for an elite XL 4. I just got a new 3 year warranty on the new box. If there are issues with the new box it will be covered. Overall I am happy with the deal and made out on it I think.

Yes you did OK! The extended warranties are for different lengths of time and until you mention the 36 month term "WHO KNEW"! I'm guessing you didn't know to ask about the purchase of the second one for the replacement machine until you were advised here on the forum OR that the extended warranty is a "single use replacement" by contract.