TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
leitzsout

Interrupted Recordings

I've had my xl4 and premier since 2/15 and have lost three recordings in process. While Tivo CSRs have told me this can happen with software updates, I've learned here that these won't occur during an active recording. They also told me that I should not have the tivo's plugged into a surge protector and that I should protect my boxes with an extended warranty...really? Some helpful fellow tc members pointed out that the boxes should be protected with UPS units. I have done this and still have incomplete, 15 of 60 minutes, recordings. Furthermore, when a recording is interrupted, it doesn't restart when the box comes back online...even comcast dvrs do this!

Any ideas? If my wife misses Justified again, I'm dead meat!
leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
tivosupport_gen
TiVo Representative

leitzsout, it sounds like there is some kind of lapse in communication that is causing the TiVo to reboot. It could be something with the cable signal or networking.
What does the signal look like?
Go to Live TV and tune into a high numbered channel.
Press the TIVO button and select Settings & Messages (or Messages & Settings) > Account & System Information > DVR Diagnostics.

Channel:
Signal:
SNR:
RS Uncorrected:
RS Corrected:

How are you connecting to your Network?
G adapter:
N adapter:
Wired strait to the router:

If you would like me to take a look at your TiVo's data, please send me a Private Message with your TiVo Service Number.

Thank you,
Gen
tivosupport_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

Sounds like a signal problem to me. If the Tivo were rebooting, it would resume the recording and you would have two partial recordings for that show (unless the show ended before the box finished rebooting).
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
logicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitzsout View Post
Any ideas? If my wife misses Justified again, I'm dead meat!
Episodes of Justified are repeated 3 times after the original airing.
logicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
leitzsout

True but by the time I realized the recording was incomplete the additional two airings were done. All three air on the same night. Be great if Tivo boxes recognized incomplete recordings and searched for next airing automatically...tall order I know.
leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitzsout View Post
True but by the time I realized the recording was incomplete the additional two airings were done. All three air on the same night. Be great if Tivo boxes recognized incomplete recordings and searched for next airing automatically...tall order I know.
Although it may take a while to notice, a TiVo does seem to recognize when a recording was completely missed and reschedule it later. But an incomplete recording or one that's full of glitches due to poor reception will not be rescheduled. Apparently all the TiVo looks at is whether an entry was made in the My Shows list. I would love to see it consider whether the recording was complete and of sufficient quality. That would indeed be a great feature.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
chrispitude

I have random partial recordings on my TiVo Premiere as well. I suppose it could be a signal issue, but I've never seen the signal drop out while watching live TV...
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
XIBM

I have partical recordings on my XL4 on a regular basis. For me it usually happens when I loose all channels and have to do a soft reboot (which I am posting on another thread) but sometimes Tivo recovers on its own and I just find a short recording that I can not watch without missing the "last act". Now I have to check the green record line and make sure it goes all the way to the right for the time slot before I start watching the recording.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote