TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
markp99
TakoKichi

The Following - Let Me Go - S01E07 - OAD 03/04/13

So, how exactly how/when/where did they make the switch while transferring Joe? That was a shocker, huh?

Wasn't Kevin watching as they loaded him into the transport truck, and then, FBI-Lady followed as they drove out of the facility, with chopper overhead? What did I miss?

I saw that the warden swapped/edited the surveillance video, but what was the timing?

Seeing the cult of followers at the mansion was odd and creepy for me.

I think I am about ready to JUMP OFF this train. While I like each of the actors, the story is just too far fetched. The for-effect loud/screeching SFX at the "scary" parts are cheap and insulting.

Falling off the fence.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Wasn't Kevin watching as they loaded him into the transport truck, and then, FBI-Lady followed as they drove out of the facility, with chopper overhead? What did I miss?

I saw that the warden swapped/edited the surveillance video, but what was the timing?
When the truck was in the bay, they closed the door from the inside (blocking Kevin) and then opened the outside door. So they obviously slipped him out in between.

The number of people who would have had to be in on it, of course, supports my joke theory that everybody but Kevin is a Follower. Or a complete idiot.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
sburnside1

I told my wife a week ago, I am only still watching because of Kevin Bacon, but am about to drop it. (Actually I like James Purefoy as well)

The actors are doing ok, its just the writing is crap. Its gotten to be that its so far fetched that people are guessing the plot points by going with the obviously outlandish.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I think I am about ready to JUMP OFF this train.
Call me "mama" because this episode threw me off it for me.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Call me "mama" because this episode threw me off it for me.

--Carlos V.
LOL Too funny.

I also deleted my season pass after this episode. I know it's a tv show, but there was more shark jumping than Discovery's Shark Week.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
SnakeVargas

I'm still enjoying it.

To me, it is to the serial killer genre what 'Cabin in the Woods' was to the horror genre.

As usual Westin was conveniently missing when Ryan needed backup. He's either secretly Roderick (I'm still sticking with that theory) or has a serious donut habit he's feeding in secret. I'm expecting the next-to-the-last episode this season to be a Westin/Roderick-centric flashback replay of the season showing him manipulating the other serial killers during each of these mysterious periods where Westin was absent. So confident am I, I might even start calling him 'Westerick".

The kid remains ****ing stupid. He finds a girl in a cage, yet he still doesn't seem to be aware that he's with the bad guys instead of the good guys.

We all know Carroll has people everywhere. Ryan knows this. The FBI knows this. Every supposed good guy knows this. Yet, his lawyer who we know is passing messages to his followers is not monitored as she leaves with Carroll in her trunk. At least she's dead now. She was another character who was so stupid that she deserved to die.

The final scene with the massive cult of serial killers was the icing on the cake. It shows just how delightgully implausible and over the top the producers are willing to go with it. More and more serial killers are revealed who Carroll has not met. This reinforces my theory that Carroll is not the puppetmaster, but is merely the figurehead.

This is the show I look forward to most each week. I'm still having a grand time watching it. Only 8 new episodes left!

Last edited by SnakeVargas : 03-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeVargas View Post
I'm still enjoying it.

To me, it is to the serial killer genre what 'Cabin in the Woods' was to the horror genre.

As usual Westin was conveniently missing when Ryan needed backup. He's either secretly Roderick (I'm still sticking with that theory) or has a serious donut habit he's feeding in secret. I'm expecting the next-to-the-last episode this season to be a Westin/Roderick-centric flashback replay of the season showing him manipulating the other serial killers during each of these mysterious periods where Westin was absent. So confident am I, I might even start calling him 'Westerick".

The kid remains ****ing stupid. He finds a girl in a cage, yet he still doesn't seem to be aware that he's with the bad guys instead of the good guys.

We all know Carroll has people everywhere. Ryan knows this. The FBI knows this. Every supposed good guy knows this. Yet, his lawyer who we know is passing messages to his followers is not monitored as she leaves with Carroll in her trunk. At least she's dead now. She was another character who was so stupid that she deserved to die.

The final scene with the massive cult of serial killers was the icing on the cake. It shows just how delightgully implausible and over the top the producers are willing to go with it. More and more serial killers are revealed who Carroll has not met. This reinforces my theory that Carroll is not the puppetmaster, but is merely the figurehead.
i wonder if the writers are manipulating us. By introducing character after character that we feel is so stupid that they do indeed deserve grisly deaths, they're slowly and cleverly making us into uncaring sociopaths. By the end of the next 8 episodes we the viewing audience, those of us with enough tolerance for plot inanity, will have become sociopathic stone killers devoid of sympathy for our fellow humans whom we disdain as too stupid to deserve to live. We'll be Followers!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
SnakeVargas

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
By the end of the next 8 episodes we the viewing audience, those of us with enough tolerance for plot inanity, will have become sociopathic stone killers devoid of sympathy for our fellow humans whom we disdain as too stupid to deserve to live. We'll be Followers!
But... I already believe most of humanity is so stupid that they don't deserve to live.

Is this why I like this show so much?

Last night my girlfriend says to me, "Ya know, your favorite shows are Dexter and The Following, should I be worried?"
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnside1 View Post
I told my wife a week ago, I am only still watching because of Kevin Bacon, but am about to drop it. (Actually I like James Purefoy as well)

The actors are doing ok, its just the writing is crap. Its gotten to be that its so far fetched that people are guessing the plot points by going with the obviously outlandish.
+1

Well, Actually I told MY wife, not yours - but still +1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Why is it that every time Bacon goes to chase somebody, he never calls for backup?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Why is it that every time Bacon goes to chase somebody, he never calls for backup?
Because then he'd be able to catch them?

BACON IS A FOLLOWER!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

BACON IS A FOLLOWER!!!
Please, use SPOILER tags!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
philw1776

At first I was gobsmacked to see this show renewed for a 2nd season but then I figured it out. The renewal answer is simple. As we saw in last night's episode something over half the US population are Followers, so they're driving the ratings by watching for those secret coded messages from the college professor calling them to kidnap/cage/eviscerate/whatever someone.

I shudder at imagining how they'll end this season in preparation for next.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I know you, you're my dad...
Ugh

I'm still in but that kid is Kim in a bear trap kind of stupid.
At least they aren't refreshing hard drives or setting up a port protocol every 5 minutes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
eddyj

I've decided this show is actually a comedy. The enjoyment is now to see just how stupid the characters can be, and how ridiculous the story line. This episode was hysterical, by those standards.

I particularly enjoyed the reveal of a super secret web site for recruiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I've decided this show is actually a comedy. The enjoyment is now to see just how stupid the characters can be, and how ridiculous the story line. This episode was hysterical, by those standards.

I particularly enjoyed the reveal of a super secret web site for recruiting.
I don't know about you but I enjoy these mocking threads far better than the show, a major reason to keep watching this dreck so that I can participate.

Off to cleanse the palate with another fine "Justified" episode tonight.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
eddyj

Quote:
I don't know about you but I enjoy these mocking threads far better than the show, a major reason to keep watching this dreck so that I can participate.

Yes, I totally agree the mocking discussion is better than the show.

And I have started watching Justified on Amazon Prime. Just into the second season, so plenty of episodes left for me!
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
What do you get when you mix The Following and Justified?

A mediocre show!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

BACON IS A FOLLOWER!!!
It's the only explanation that makes sense when you consider that he has less endurance than Barnaby Jones.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
...makes sense...
Drat! You have found the fatal flaw in my theory!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Yes, I totally agree the mocking discussion is better than the show.

And I have started watching Justified on Amazon Prime. Just into the second season, so plenty of episodes left for me!
Season two is the best of the best
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:

BACON IS A FOLLOWER!!!
That is not technically correct.

Spoiler:
His pacemaker is a follower.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
awsnyde

I liked this show a lot until last episode, where I started to really dislike it. In fact, if not for my wife wanting to continue watching, I would have deleted my SP last week.

While watching this week, I actively hated the show. Luckily, by the time this episode was over, my wife was ready to give it up too. So the SP is gone.

Quote from my wife near the end of the episode, "Even with nine years, there's no way he could have found that many crazy people willing to follow him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

Spoiler:
His pacemaker is a follower.
COL (Chuckling out loud)
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #24
getbak

I think the touching father and son reunion at Professor Joe's School for Gifted Serial Killers was the perfect finale for this show.

I'm done.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think the touching father and son reunion at Professor Joe's School for Gifted Serial Killers was the perfect finale for this show.

I'm done.
Hehe, I thought the same thing about the mansion.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #26
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

I'm done.
The government will break in and they will all escape and we'll find out they are all really mutants.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
markp99
TakoKichi

...and Joe will meet-up with a guy named Lucifer Bacon who will drop a huge stone block on him, confining him to a wheelchair!

Joe Carrol's crew will heretofore be know as the "CMen"

/stolen from BBT

Last edited by markp99 : 03-06-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
Cainebj

well - Joe miraculously escaping was almost the breaking point for me but i reminded myself to suspend all thinking process and just go along for the ride.

it is VERY 24 with Bacon instead of Sutherland and cultists instead of terrorists.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
philw1776

I think "The Following" makes 24 look realistic, especially after this episode.
I never thought I'd ever say that.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

How many people have died so far trying to "save" the Joe's kid?

If Kevin Bacon just left the case Joe's game would be over as he would have no one to play his Poe role play stuff with.

I quit this show but got back in when I walked in on my wife watching. Instead of pounding the remote against my head and hurting myself. I developed a drinking game. I take a swig of beer every time the show jumps a shark. Unfortunately, same end result, my head hurts the next day.