TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
CoaxMystery

3 TiVo premiere boxes, 1 has poor signal no matter what?

This is making me crazy! I have 3 TiVos premiers, 2 are XL. So we're all on the same page- I refer to them as TiVo #1,#2 and #3. #1 is an XL, #2 is not XL and #3 is XL. Tivo# 3 (the second XL) was a replacement for a series 3 XL that wouldn't boot. TiVos #1 and #2 are working fine but #3 is having issues. The symptoms- macroblocking, stuttering and some channels won't tune.

I have Verizon Fios (near Annapolis, MD). I have 1 coax line going into a 3 way splitter that feeds all 3 boxes. #1 and #2 both show signal strength in the 90s, #3 shows low 30s. If I pull the coax feeds from #1 or #2 and connect to #3 there's no difference.

If I take the splitter out of the equation and connect the main coax feed to #1 or #2 I still have signal strength in the 90s. When I connect the main feed to #3 signal strength is in the 60s but it works fine. #3 shows lower signal strength no matter what I do.

I really don't want to think that #3 is defective. It's probably a refurb as it was shipped from TiVo as a warranty replacement. I hooked it up for the first time today. What could be causing this? Any tips for fixing it?
CoaxMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoaxMystery View Post
This is making me crazy! I have 3 TiVos premiers, 2 are XL. So we're all on the same page- I refer to them as TiVo #1,#2 and #3. #1 is an XL, #2 is not XL and #3 is XL. Tivo# 3 (the second XL) was a replacement for a series 3 XL that wouldn't boot. TiVos #1 and #2 are working fine but #3 is having issues. The symptoms- macroblocking, stuttering and some channels won't tune.

I have Verizon Fios (near Annapolis, MD). I have 1 coax line going into a 3 way splitter that feeds all 3 boxes. #1 and #2 both show signal strength in the 90s, #3 shows low 30s. If I pull the coax feeds from #1 or #2 and connect to #3 there's no difference.

If I take the splitter out of the equation and connect the main coax feed to #1 or #2 I still have signal strength in the 90s. When I connect the main feed to #3 signal strength is in the 60s but it works fine. #3 shows lower signal strength no matter what I do.

I really don't want to think that #3 is defective. It's probably a refurb as it was shipped from TiVo as a warranty replacement. I hooked it up for the first time today. What could be causing this? Any tips for fixing it?
Do you have #3 plugged into the same electrical outlet throughout all of this co-ax swapping?

Are #'s 1 and 2 plugged into that same outlet?

Are there cable cards involved?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
CoaxMystery

All 3 are plugged in to the same surge protector. I did swap power outlets and cords along the way, no difference.
CoaxMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Signal strengths usually vary with channel so you should be making all these comparisons using the same channel. Are you using a Tuning Adapter? That complicates things because even tuning to the same channel doesn't necessarily mean you're on the same QAM channel frequency. In that case you either need to compare using a non-switched channel or verify the frequency is always the same in DVR Diagnostics.

Other than that, it sure sounds like you have a defective TiVo. 30 will definitely be a problem whereas 50 or above meets TiVo's stated minimum level for good performance.

Also, if you are using TA's, you should use the same one for your comparisons since one TA may be attenuating the signal more.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote