TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Cancelled Premier work with streaming?

A friend is planning to cancel service on his Premier and use it to watch Netflix and Hulu only. Will this work?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Nope. All you get is tuner functionality and ability to watch existing recordings.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Nope. All you get is tuner functionality and ability to watch existing recordings.
OK. I'll let him know what to expect.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
csell

What about the ability to connect to a local server with PyTivo so you can keep bringing in new shows? You can have it on the local network but configure your router to not allow that Tivo to access the internet. Would that work?
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nope. Without service a TiVo is basically useless. It disables all network features and I believe in newer versions they even disable the 30 minute live TV buffer. Internally TiVo refers to this as "boat anchor mode", so the name gives you an idea of how useful an unsubbed TiVo is.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
What about the ability to connect to a local server with PyTivo so you can keep bringing in new shows? You can have it on the local network but configure your router to not allow that Tivo to access the internet. Would that work?
It would work for a short period of time. If you check the System Info page, you'll notice a line (forget what it's called) that contains a date that is up to one month from now. If no future connections are made to the Tivo service, the box will lock itself down once that date is reached.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
csell

Does this apply to the Tivo HD as well, which is actually what I'm referring to.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Internally TiVo refers to this as "boat anchor mode", so the name gives you an idea of how useful an unsubbed TiVo is.
I don't imagine it's a very good boat anchor at that.

They could corner the dual-use market of people who watch TV on boats if they improved this mode.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
tatergator1

No personal experience, but it should also apply to a Tivo HD.

The only platform I remember a forum member claiming will still work for manual recordings and such if denied network access is an early Series 2 that does not have the most recent software update, was disconnected from Tivo while a subscription was still active, and hasn't connected to Tivo since (5+ years).

No subscription = Boat Anchor as Dan203 notes, except in very rare circumstances.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Chris Gerhard

I have used a TiVoHD without service, it does everything a Premiere will do plus has 30 minute buffer on each tuner. No network functions other than contacting TiVo over the network is possible, no guide information.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
No personal experience, but it should also apply to a Tivo HD.

The only platform I remember a forum member claiming will still work for manual recordings and such if denied network access is an early Series 2 that does not have the most recent software update, was disconnected from Tivo while a subscription was still active, and hasn't connected to Tivo since (5+ years).

No subscription = Boat Anchor as Dan203 notes, except in very rare circumstances.
The rare circumstances include manual recording and trick play on TiVos newer than Series 2 according to multiple users, including myself.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=504978&page=2
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote