TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
caughey

Verizon FiOS Network "Enhancements"

Did anyone else get this email?

Quote:
To provide you the very best entertainment experience, Verizon continues to enhance our FiOS® network. We wanted you to be aware of an upcoming change that may impact how you view certain HD channels.

On or after April 15, 2013, we will be making a change to our network which may require that you exchange your current High Definition Set Top Box (STB)** if you want to access the HD channels impacted by this change (list provided below). The exchange is provided at no cost to you. If you choose to exchange your STB, it's a simple process. You can order a new STB directly from your FiOS® TV and we will promptly mail it to you, along with a box and pre-paid label so you can easily return your old STB.
You are not required to exchange your Set Top Box

If you want to view the impacted channels below on or after April 15, 2013, then you may be required to exchange your current Set Top Box at no cost to you

Set Top Box exchange is a simple process - your FiOS TV will guide you through the process in a few easy steps. On or after April 15, 2013, when you tune to one of the impacted channels below, your FiOS TV will recommend you exchange your Set Top Box and show you how to do so

Verizon will ship your new Set Top Box promptly, and include a box and pre-paid shipping label to return your old Set Top Box. We'll also include simple instructions for connecting your new Set Top Box

If you have multiple boxes that are impacted by this network change, your FiOS TV will prompt you to exchange all boxes that require a replacement, again at no cost to you

Here are the channels impacted by our network change on or after April 15, 2013:

IMPACTED CHANNELS
Channel Name Channel Number
ES.TV 558
HBO Family 906
ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater 571
HBO Family (West) 907
Tennis Channel 592
HBO Latino 912
World Fishing Networ 597
HBO Latino West 913
Cars.TV 599
MoreMax (West) 923
Pets.TV 633
Action Max 924
MyDestination.TV 674
Thriller Max 926
Recipe.TV 676
W Max 928
Comedy.TV 695
At Max 929
MGM HD 744
ESPN 3D 1002

To determine if your HD STB(s) must be exchanged to view the impacted channels:

Press the MENU button on your remote

Navigate to CUSTOMER SUPPORT, select IN-HOME AGENT, choose SET TOP BOX EXCHANGE, and then press OK

You can then follow the onscreen prompts to determine if your HD STB(s) must be replaced and submit a STB exchange request.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to continuing to provide you with the very best entertainment over the FiOS network.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team
Any ideas what it means? Are they transitioning to MPEG-4 on these channels?

I assume this optimistic footnote means their cablecard is compatible, but that my TiVoHD is probably not.

Quote:
** CableCARDs provided by Verizon are compatible with the network enhancements being made and do not require an exchange. If you use a CableCARD and experience issues viewing any of the channels listed above, please click here for more information.

caughey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r280...D-STB-Exchange

Cox provides about 30 channels in H.264 (MPEG-4) and the Premieres work fine with that format, (after the May 2012 SW update), However the Series 3 and TiVoHD did not get a SW update and cannot display H.264 at this time. The TiVoHD probably could with a SW update, having another provider other than Cox now providing H.264 perhaps TiVo could be persuaded???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 03-06-2013 at 04:09 AM.
CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
NSPhillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
Did anyone else get this email?

Any ideas what it means? Are they transitioning to MPEG-4 on these channels?

I assume this optimistic footnote means their cablecard is compatible, but that my TiVoHD is probably not.
I got a letter in the mail saying the same thing. But like you, I was annoyed at the lack of specifics. I have a premiere and a series 3 so I guess I will see.
NSPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
vurbano

got that email too. Hope it isnt SDV. that would stink.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

This is an h.264 (mpeg4) transition. They're slowly phasing out 6xxx-series boxes for their newer boxes that can handle mpeg4.

Premieres are good to go. Series 3 boxes would need a software update to watch those channels but I doubt Tivo's going to update those anymore.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-06-2013 at 06:31 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Time_Lord

The stupid question, what is the advantage of mpeg4? Is it lower bandwidth requirements due to higher compression rates? Licensing issues?
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
The stupid question, what is the advantage of mpeg4? Is it lower bandwidth requirements due to higher compression rates? Licensing issues?
Typically, it's a bandwidth savings. Mpeg4 usually consumes about half the bandwidth of a mpeg2 encoded broadcast for a comparable picture quality.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I just got the e-mail too. I had a knot in my stomach that they were going to SDV. Having that stupid extra box before I dumped TWCNYC was a nightmare. I always had to reboot it.

I hope this isn't SDV.

It WOULD be awesome if there was some kind of small update for the HD/HDXL so these channels would be viewable. But that's probably the reason why they are trying to get people to upgrade to the Premieres, with some of those "lucrative" lifetime offers floating around.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Joe3

If fido doesn't get his Pet.TV, I don't know what we'll do~
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
lew

From the VZ website:

Quote:
Verizon delivers programming in both MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 format. If your device only supports content delivered in MPEG 2 format, then the services delivered in MPEG 4 will not be displayed when you select them.
VZ wouldn't need to update their boxes for SDV.

We know the TivoHD boxes can handle some MP4 video.

Does anyone know if the TivoHD has the hardware to even handle the video?

A few stations are already MP4. Does anyone know the specs? Do they meet the requirements for "pushing" a video program to a TivoHD?
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility

Last edited by lew : 03-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Does anyone know if the TivoHD has the hardware to even handle the video?
The hardware is fine, AFAICT; the software won't cut it.

Only the Premiere is ready for these channels.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r280...D-STB-Exchange

Cox provides about 30 channels in H.264 (MPEG-4) and the Premieres work fine with that format, (after the May 2012 SW update), However the Series 3 and TiVoHD did not get a SW update and cannot display H.264 at this time. The TiVoHD probably could with a SW update, having another provider other than Cox now providing H.264 perhaps TiVo could be persuaded???
FiOS started broadcasting some MPEG4 channels last Spring. I think they have around a dozen of them now. They worked fine with my Premieres. They are Spanish channels and Sports game channels. I tested a few of the FiOS MPEG 4 channels out when they had baseball and hockey previews last year.

It's nice that they are finally going to switch some channels to MPEG4. I only wish they would switch more of them to free up even more space. And I hope that any new channels they add will also be using MPEG4.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
got that email too. Hope it isnt SDV. that would stink.
SDV would make no sense for FIOS, it doesn't really fit into the FTTH model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
This is an h.264 (mpeg4) transition. They're slowly phasing out 6xxx-series boxes for their newer boxes that can handle mpeg4.

Premieres are good to go. Series 3 boxes would need a software update to watch those channels but I doubt Tivo's going to update those anymore.
That's awesome. Sounds like they are starting with a few junk channels and will slowly move to MPEG-4 so that they don't have the MPEG-2 boxes coming in one big flood to get swapped out.

So they will probably end up doing 4 MPEG-4 channels per QAM instead of 2 MPEG-2's? I so wish Comcast would do this so that they could go from 3 per QAM to 4 MPEG-4 per QAM and not have over-compressed channels.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
tlc

Before I got this email, I was considering buying an XL4 just to scratch an itch. (We have two HDs with Lifetime) Now I'm pissed.

I called to make a pitch for an upgrade deal. I knew there was little chance.

I was told it was Verizon's fault -- they changed things and made it MPEG4, which is true.

But if the cable provider can change things and Tivo wont help, it would be pretty silly for me to buy a couple of $800 boxes from Tivo, especially with the threat of FIOS switching to IPTV.

I can't even threaten their income stream. As a Lifetime customer, Tivo already has my money.

Anyone used a FIOS DVR lately?

Last edited by tlc : 03-07-2013 at 09:56 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Gregor

My parents have a FIOS DVR and it mostly goes unused. They are not of the DVR generation, I guess.

I am OK with FIOS improving their network and obsoleting old gear. My Series 3s are getting on 6 and 7 yrs old, I guess. Nothing lasts forever. One is lifetime and one is on the $6.99/mo grandfathered clause. Have a few Series 4s on Lifetime.

The channels that are Mpeg4 aren't ones I watch. I'd be more upset if it were something I actually watch. If I can get a couple more years out of the S3s that'd be great.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
My parents have a FIOS DVR and it mostly goes unused. They are not of the DVR generation, I guess.

I am OK with FIOS improving their network and obsoleting old gear. My Series 3s are getting on 6 and 7 yrs old, I guess. Nothing lasts forever. One is lifetime and one is on the $6.99/mo grandfathered clause. Have a few Series 4s on Lifetime.

The channels that are Mpeg4 aren't ones I watch. I'd be more upset if it were something I actually watch. If I can get a couple more years out of the S3s that'd be great.
That's not the issue. Verizon is not obsoleting the boxes. TiVo is by refusing to roll out a patch to support MPEG-4.

I wonder if you can transfer an MPEG-4 recording from a Premiere to an S3? Probably not.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I wonder if you can transfer an MPEG-4 recording from a Premiere to an S3? Probably not.
I can, and I get sound, but no picture. (This happens even with files that I'd previously pushed to the S3 as MP4s and had them work fine, when I pull them to the Premiere as transport streams and from there try to pull them to the S3.)

Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
am95

I take it with a S3 it's not possible to transfer MPEG-4 files to a PC to make them playable? Or can they not be stored on a S3 in the first place and it isn't just matter of not being able to play them?
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

There is a post on Tivo's website that says they are sending down an update to S3 and S2 boxes for the certificate problem. Wouldn't it be cool, if they could add Tivo App enhancements and MPEG4 support to S3 at the same time.

I am sure someone inside Tivo had done this for their own equipment. They should 'share the love'
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
There is a post on Tivo's website that says they are sending down an update to S3 and S2 boxes for the certificate problem. Wouldn't it be cool, if they could add Tivo App enhancements and MPEG4 support to S3 at the same time.

I am sure someone inside Tivo had done this for their own equipment. They should 'share the love'
Fixing the expired cookie (not certificate) problem is fairly simple in terms of code modifications. Adding MPEG4 support is a tad more difficult.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by am95 View Post
I take it with a S3 it's not possible to transfer MPEG-4 files to a PC to make them playable? Or can they not be stored on a S3 in the first place and it isn't just matter of not being able to play them?
Interesting question. It never occurred to me to try that. I'll have to wait for some MPEG4 channels to become available again before I can test if the S3 can record them (I expect not). It can store the recordings, at least after a fashion, since I pulled some from the Premiere. And you can extract transport streams from the S3 (although you can't send them back), so it might be possible to pull them off again intact.

But, even if it works, it doesn't seem terribly useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I am sure someone inside Tivo had done this for their own equipment.
I doubt that very much.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I just got the e-mail too. I had a knot in my stomach that they were going to SDV. Having that stupid extra box before I dumped TWCNYC was a nightmare. I always had to reboot it.

I hope this isn't SDV.
Don't be foolish. The transition to h.264 is a temporary band-aid. It gains at the very most a 100% increase in effective bandwidth, and that just isn't going to cut it. Of course, in the case of FIOS, they can simply abandon their fixed broadcast network entirely, and switch everything to IPTV. That is not practical with a traditional CATV system.

Overall I am very happy with my new CATV provider, but I desperately wish they would implement SDV. Although I pay somewhat less than I did with TWC, it is really not nearly enough less to justify the loss of over 30 channels of prime content. ( I also lost about 100 channels of junk, but I don't really care about that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
It WOULD be awesome if there was some kind of small update for the HD/HDXL so these channels would be viewable. But that's probably the reason why they are trying to get people to upgrade to the Premieres, with some of those "lucrative" lifetime offers floating around.
They are trying to get people to upgrade so they can make more money.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Don't be foolish. The transition to h.264 is a temporary band-aid. It gains at the very most a 100% increase in effective bandwidth, and that just isn't going to cut it. Of course, in the case of FIOS, they can simply abandon their fixed broadcast network entirely, and switch everything to IPTV. That is not practical with a traditional CATV system.

Overall I am very happy with my new CATV provider, but I desperately wish they would implement SDV. Although I pay somewhat less than I did with TWC, it is really not nearly enough less to justify the loss of over 30 channels of prime content. ( I also lost about 100 channels of junk, but I don't really care about that.)

They are trying to get people to upgrade so they can make more money.
What does FIOS need more than DOUBLE the capacity for? Even if they do, they will probably load the QAM system up to the gills, and then put the least popular stuff or specialized sports packages that aren't always on on IP, as they already have the QAM system set up and working well, so they may as well leverage it as hard as they can.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
but I desperately wish they would implement SDV.
Are we in opposite-land today?

I honestly don't remember anyone else saying they liked SDV before. (At least not when they had to deal with SDV boxes.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Are we in opposite-land today?

I honestly don't remember anyone else saying they liked SDV before. (At least not when they had to deal with SDV boxes.)
Exactly. And it makes no sense in a world where cable is the last thing in that dark ages of MPEG-2, and can relatively easily move to MPEG-4. SDV also doesn't really fit in with the FIOS model, even though theoretically it could be run over FIOS's 256QAM system.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
sevenx7

I'm glad i purchased a Premiere now! I just had FIOS set up and am glad to be back in the TiVo family, I'm glad i didnt get a TivoHD like i was going to. The Premiere seems to be the right choice for FIOS right now.
sevenx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Typically, it's a bandwidth savings. Mpeg4 usually consumes about half the bandwidth of a mpeg2 encoded broadcast for a comparable picture quality.
As someone else pointed out in another thread this also means you can store more hours of program on your TiVo.

It would be nice if someone with a Premiere recorded an hour show on or before the switch on April 15 and then recorded the same exact show after the switch so we could compare the two.

Anybody out there willing to do this?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I would think you could transfer to a PC, convert to a format compatible with an S3 and transfer it to the S3. KMTTG should be able to do this, yes?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
am95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Interesting question. It never occurred to me to try that. I'll have to wait for some MPEG4 channels to become available again before I can test if the S3 can record them (I expect not). It can store the recordings, at least after a fashion, since I pulled some from the Premiere. And you can extract transport streams from the S3 (although you can't send them back), so it might be possible to pull them off again intact.

But, even if it works, it doesn't seem terribly useful.

I doubt that very much.
Yea, not very useful for the average person but it would work for my purposes. I'll have to give it a try next month after the update and report back if no one has done so by then.
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
rlcarr

Where was the email sent to? I haven't received it at my @verizon.com address and I haven't received it at any other address I've ever given to Verizon. FWIW, I'm in the Boston area.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote