TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
sherm

Tivo-To-Go transfers keep failing

I just hooked up my Tivo-To-Go to my home network using a wireless connection. I have the Tivo usb wireless adapter connected to the Tivo and Lynsys wireless router connected to my pc. I am able to get Tivo and my pc to communicate but it usually does not get all the way through the transfer before I get an error that "some transfers have been interupted". I then have to start it over from the begining. It usually takes me 2 or threes tries for each show to get it transfered. For a few shows after a few attemps tivo desktop doesn't even see the show on Tivo anymore, it just says details unavailable and wont let me try to transfer it. On Tivo the show is still there and works fine.
Anyone have any advice about this
Thanks
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
jeff92k7

My first thought is wireless interference. Do you have any 2.4Ghz cordless phones nearby? Do they fail around the time someone in your house uses the microwave?
Heck, your neighbors wireless network may even be interfering.

Wired is always the best option for TiVo to go, however, that isn't always a feasible option for everyone.

The first thing I would do is just be aware of what else is going on in your house while you are copying. When the error occurs, see what other devices are being used and where. You may find out what is causing the problem that way. If you can't figure out what is causing the problem, try changing channels on your wireless network. Instead of the default channel, switch the router to use a different channel, ideally 3 or 4 channels apart. I.E. if you are on channel 6 right now, try channel 1, 2, 10, or 11. Secondly, make certain that the antennas for both your router and your tivo are high enough up that they aren't being blocked by being too close to anything. ...and get them as far away from other electronic devices as possible. Note that if an antenna is mounted vertically (pointing straight up or down) the best transmission and reception strength is radiating horizontally. Try to arrange both antennas so that they are in the other antennas "hot spot". For example. If they are on the same floor of your residence, place them at exactly the same height pointing up so that they transmit directly to each other along the horizontal plane.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7
My first thought is wireless interference. Do you have any 2.4Ghz cordless phones nearby? Do they fail around the time someone in your house uses the microwave?
Heck, your neighbors wireless network may even be interfering.

Wired is always the best option for TiVo to go, however, that isn't always a feasible option for everyone.

The first thing I would do is just be aware of what else is going on in your house while you are copying. When the error occurs, see what other devices are being used and where. You may find out what is causing the problem that way. If you can't figure out what is causing the problem, try changing channels on your wireless network. Instead of the default channel, switch the router to use a different channel, ideally 3 or 4 channels apart. I.E. if you are on channel 6 right now, try channel 1, 2, 10, or 11. Secondly, make certain that the antennas for both your router and your tivo are high enough up that they aren't being blocked by being too close to anything. ...and get them as far away from other electronic devices as possible. Note that if an antenna is mounted vertically (pointing straight up or down) the best transmission and reception strength is radiating horizontally. Try to arrange both antennas so that they are in the other antennas "hot spot". For example. If they are on the same floor of your residence, place them at exactly the same height pointing up so that they transmit directly to each other along the horizontal plane.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
That stuff it definitely worth investigating. The thing that I wonder though is that the single will go from 80-90% to 7 or 8%, so the idea of a cordless phone interfering may be right. That address one part of the issue with the tranfers dropping. How about the issue with some of my shows not being seen by Tivo desktop. It is picking up all the other shows, but only some shows that failed during the last attempted transfer are listed as details not available. I went into the the downloaded tivo folder and deleted the file that it tried to create, but that did not help. Am I just never going to be able to transfer these shows?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm
How about the issue with some of my shows not being seen by Tivo desktop. It is picking up all the other shows, but only some shows that failed during the last attempted transfer are listed as details not available.

I have had a similar issue and corrected it by closing down the tivo desktop software to clear the cache of shows available to transfer then reopening the software and rechecking for shows.

The issue that I had was that some glitch made certain shows disappear from the list and other shows duplicated. I couldn't get the software to repoll the TiVo without closing it completely and reopening it. After that, it has worked fine.

Everything on my TiVo was still unaffected but the list just didn't sync up properly.

It's quite likely that your wireless glitches are causing that problem where it will lose sync with the TiVo and just needs to be reset be resarting the software.

Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7
I have had a similar issue and corrected it by closing down the tivo desktop software to clear the cache of shows available to transfer then reopening the software and rechecking for shows.

The issue that I had was that some glitch made certain shows disappear from the list and other shows duplicated. I couldn't get the software to repoll the TiVo without closing it completely and reopening it. After that, it has worked fine.

Everything on my TiVo was still unaffected but the list just didn't sync up properly.

It's quite likely that your wireless glitches are causing that problem where it will lose sync with the TiVo and just needs to be reset be resarting the software.

Jeff
I have restarted Tivo Desktop as well as rebooted the pc and still the same problem. Where would I clear the cache from?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
rearea

The TiVo Desktop cache:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache

Delete all of the files in this folder.

Then re-start TiVo Desktop. That should clear out those "details unavailable" items.
rearea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearea
The TiVo Desktop cache:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache

Delete all of the files in this folder.

Then re-start TiVo Desktop. That should clear out those "details unavailable" items.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
godsgill

I've never had a problem downloading from my Tivo box to my PC until yesterday. All of a sudden I keep getting the following error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

I can see them listed in the Pick Recordings to Transfer listing but they won't transfer,
godsgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsgill View Post
I've never had a problem downloading from my Tivo box to my PC until yesterday. All of a sudden I keep getting the following error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

I can see them listed in the Pick Recordings to Transfer listing but they won't transfer,
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...63#post9527463
See post #30

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

TiVo Desktop/TiVo To Go Update

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501794
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote