TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Ziggy86

Tivo pixelation with Time warner canle on one channel

I am getting pixelation on HBO HD but on only one of the channels. I checked the signal strength and it shows 82 while the other channels all show about 96-100.

I assume I am getting these issues because the strength is lower than the other channels?

What can I do to fix this?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
mattack

Do you have splitters? If so, remove the splitter(s).

Otherwise, get your cable company to come and fix the installation.

You might be able to try an amplifier if it covers all of the frequencies your cable uses.
Unfortunately, with my splitter (that I _need_), I'm still missing Comedy Central & MTV most of the time.. (We already have the maximum # of connections to the house apparently.)

I might try an amplifier that goes up to 1 GHz. (The one I currently have goes up to 450 MHz, and it *did* fix previous issues on SOME digital channels but not all, since obviously it doesn't amplify all frequencies..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Ziggy86

It is only one channel that is lower than the rest.

Won't an amplifier increase the other channels causing a "hot" signal that will cause more pixellation?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
jcanyon

Hello.

I have two TiVo Series 4 DVRs and a cable modem connected in my home. I have been experiencing pixelation on my time warner cable on many channels.

My s/n ratio (Settings, DVR diagnosis) showed a S/N ratio of 36/37 The Tivo folks told me to have TWC reduce the S/N ratio. They would not, I tried swapping TiVO boxes and it did not work

However, Good news! I went on line and purchased 3 - 12 dB pads. and placed them at the splitter on each of the lines that entered my house (at DC they are a short).

This dropped my S/N down to 32dB and fixed my pixelation.

Good luck!

Jim
jcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
I am getting pixelation on HBO HD but on only one of the channels. I checked the signal strength and it shows 82 while the other channels all show about 96-100.

I assume I am getting these issues because the strength is lower than the other channels?

What can I do to fix this?
82 is plenty good signal strength. What is the SNR for that channel? What are the RS error counts doing (all found in DVR diagnostics). 80-99 is the recommended range per TiVo support pages, for all digital Tivo models.

Signal strengths frequently vary a lot over the different channels. In my case many are 100, and many are in the recommended range and a few are in the 60-79 range. None of them have pixellation problems. SNR varies from 37 dB for the 100 sig strength down to 32 dB for the lowest strength range.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanyon View Post
Hello.

I have two TiVo Series 4 DVRs and a cable modem connected in my home. I have been experiencing pixelation on my time warner cable on many channels.

My s/n ratio (Settings, DVR diagnosis) showed a S/N ratio of 36/37 The Tivo folks told me to have TWC reduce the S/N ratio. They would not, I tried swapping TiVO boxes and it did not work

However, Good news! I went on line and purchased 3 - 12 dB pads. and placed them at the splitter on each of the lines that entered my house (at DC they are a short).

This dropped my S/N down to 32dB and fixed my pixelation.

Good luck!

Jim
There is something strange about how TiVo keeps telling people to reduce SNR. There is no such thing as too high SNR -- it is the ratio of signal to noise. In some cases the problem could be too much (i.e., a "hot") signal, which can cause video dropouts or pixellation because of tuner overload. However the cure is really just reducing (attenuating) the signal and the reduction in SNR is just incidental to that.

If your signal is in the 80-99 range recommended by Tivo and your SNR is 32 dB or higher (including 37 dB or more) you should be getting good video. Specifying an upper limit of SNR when the signal strength is in the recommended range (which TiVo does) makes no technical sense .......... UNLESS the value reported as SNR by TiVo's isn't actually SNR. (??)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote