TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Bwatford141

Are there any decent 4 tuner deals out there right now?

I'm thinking about getting a TiVo for my mother for her birthday coming up. Are there any good deals out there right now? I was able to get my XL4 about 6 months ago for $330. The best I can find right now is $350 with a tivo promo code that I have. I would also consider a regular premiere 4 if I could find it for less than $200.

I thought about getting one on eBay, but I would rather get a new one with warranty.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
MeInDallas

You can get a brand new in the box Premiere 4 off Ebay for $218 and it has the exact same warranty as if you got it directly from Tivo. I've bought from Yogi-Comp before and he's really a great seller, and you get it with free shipping with no tax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140850280493...84.m1438.l2649
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
tivoboy

While $$, the XL4 for 350$ seems pretty good for what one gets.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
chrispitude

I currently have a Premiere2 with lifetime. I called TiVo yesterday to ask how I would transfer my current lifetime subscription to a new Premiere4, and I was told that there's currently no promotion to do that. Bummer.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
justen
Gadget Geek

Best Buy open box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a TiVo for my mother for her birthday coming up. Are there any good deals out there right now? I was able to get my XL4 about 6 months ago for $330. The best I can find right now is $350 with a tivo promo code that I have. I would also consider a regular premiere 4 if I could find it for less than $200.

I thought about getting one on eBay, but I would rather get a new one with warranty.
Not sure if a trip to Daytona Beach is feasible for you or not, but it looks like there might be an open box Premiere 4 for $149.99 at at Best Buy there. If it is a trip you could make, I would definitely call ahead and have them reserve it for you, since they only have one... Either way, good luck with your search.
justen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
I currently have a Premiere2 with lifetime. I called TiVo yesterday to ask how I would transfer my current lifetime subscription to a new Premiere4, and I was told that there's currently no promotion to do that. Bummer.
Yup, there have only been a few transfers ever, IIRC.

S1 -> S2. This was a free transfer, IIRC.. But the S2 didn't seem any better to me (the S2DT wasn't out yet, I would have jumped on that).

S1 (and probably S2) to S3OLED.. I jumped on that with one of my lifetime S1s..
S1 (and probably S2) to TivoHD. I jumped on that with my other lifetime S1.

(and the one time "grandfather" transfer, but that's a different situation.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You "transfer" your lifetime from a Premiere 2-tuner to a new box by selling the current box for about the same as what lifetime costs, then use that money to pay for lifetime on the new box. Once you have lifetime, your only real costs should be for new hardware.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
bd177

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
You can get a brand new in the box Premiere 4 off Ebay for $218 and it has the exact same warranty as if you got it directly from Tivo. I've bought from Yogi-Comp before and he's really a great seller, and you get it with free shipping with no tax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140850280493...84.m1438.l2649

I have a 2 tuner Premiere with an upgraded 2TB hard drive. If I would buy the 4 tuner Premiere, would I be able to drop the 2TB drive from the 2 Tuner unit into it ? I know I would have to re-do the service part.
bd177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You would have to re-image it. The 2-tuner and 4-tuner TiVo boxes use different software versions.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
bd177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
You would have to re-image it. The 2-tuner and 4-tuner TiVo boxes use different software versions.

Thanks
bd177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
farmermac
Super user

im also looking and the tivo website has a basketball hoop gizmo that will email you a discount code. I got $50. Still wondering if i should pull the trigger... $1090 for a XL4 & TiVo Mini with lifetime on both and 3 yr warranty on the tivo box. Not sure i want to give up my 2 TiVO HD boxes, they're awefully nice in case one goes down for whatever reason.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen View Post
Not sure if a trip to Daytona Beach is feasible for you or not, but it looks like there might be an open box Premiere 4 for $149.99 at at Best Buy there. If it is a trip you could make, I would definitely call ahead and have them reserve it for you, since they only have one... Either way, good luck with your search.
Thanks for the heads up, but that's just too far.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post

best deals I've seen was at Walmart for $249.00
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #14
poofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
best deals I've seen was at Walmart for $249.00
Hello Dr.

The $249.00 is the regular price for Premiere 4 at all places that sell Tivo including TiVo.com. I believe the OP wants a deal, not an everyday price.

Thank you Dr.
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofy View Post
Hello Dr.

The $249.00 is the regular price for Premiere 4 at all places that sell Tivo including TiVo.com. I believe the OP wants a deal, not an everyday price.

Thank you Dr.
Unless that was the price for a TPXL-4

Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
farmermac
Super user

The woot deal is hard to beat. $389 for refurb xl4 and stream. Sell stream for $100, you end up with sub 300$ xl4
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
The woot deal is hard to beat. $389 for refurb xl4 and stream. Sell stream for $100, you end up with sub 300$ xl4
IMHO the TPXL-4 would cost me another $100 for a 2Tb backup drive as I would not have a TiVo in my home that if the drive went bad I could not get it running myself, without purchasing an image drive from someone. With the TP-4 I still purchase the $100 2Tb drive, but have the original 500Gb drive as backup.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #18
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unless that was the price for a TPXL-4
wasn't the price $299 at day one launch for the basic Preme 4?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
farmermac
Super user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
IMHO the TPXL-4 would cost me another $100 for a 2Tb backup drive as I would not have a TiVo in my home that if the drive went bad I could not get it running myself, without purchasing an image drive from someone. With the TP-4 I still purchase the $100 2Tb drive, but have the original 500Gb drive as backup.
Are there no images available in that long images thread for tpxl4?

It's definitely one way to look at it but since you still lose all your shows, then might as well get a tpxl4 and get TiVo to replace it under warranty and get a glow remote with it. I wish I could clone my TiVo drive like I do my computer and have a ready to go clone with all shows backed
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
Are there no images available in that long images thread for tpxl4?

It's definitely one way to look at it but since you still lose all your shows, then might as well get a tpxl4 and get TiVo to replace it under warranty and get a glow remote with it. I wish I could clone my TiVo drive like I do my computer and have a ready to go clone with all shows backed
With my way
I don't have to have pay for a TiVo warranty (past 90 days)
I can have my TiVo up and running in less than an hour.
My service cost is the current cost of another 2tb drive.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
farmermac
Super user

Last time I had a TiVo breakdown was within 2 years of purchase. I understand what you're saying that a hard drive is easily replaced. Visa covered the exchange through TiVo ($79) so really you get a free 2 year warranty by using a card. I have 2 Tivos so I don't really care about a few days of downtime.