TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
rtandler

Desktop: System cannot find file

I just installed Desktop 2.8 on Windows 7. When I go to transfer a program everything goes along fine until a few seconds after the transfer starts. I get an error message that the transfer has interrupted. When I click to check the box to check the status of the transfer, the program has a red X and the error message says that "The system cannot find the file specified".

Which doesn't make any sense, of course, since it just found it so that I could designate it for transfer.

I have restarted Tivo Destop, the server, I've tried using both the Tivo server and Bonjour for Windows, I've restarted the Tivo itself with the same results.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by rtandler : 01-28-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Hit post button too soon
rtandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
jmbissell

Same problem

Almost the same problem here. Have 2.8 Plus which works fine under WinXP. Went to Now Playing menu and was able to see my computer. Selected a .mov file that I'd downloaded to My TiVo Recordings. TiVo said the file would be transferred. Blue light went on for about 10 secs and then went out. No transfer. Not sure which log contains any reason code. Went back to XP and the file transferred right away.
Guess there's a fix needed for Win 7 - lots of other posts listing workarounds but none seems definitive.

John
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
MichaelWK

Here's what worked for me. With the Desktop running and server activated, enter you Windows Task Manager by hitting CTRL / ALT / DEL.
Under Processes, you should see 4 Tivo services running.
Right click TIVO TRANSFER, and make sure UAC Virtualization is checked.
Once I did that, works like a charm! Now transferring a file to my PC that I could not burn to DVD on my Humax Series 2 with built in DVD burner.
Pretty excited about not losing the program from my DVR at some point. Woo hoo!
MichaelWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
slay65

UAC Virtualization worked

I was having the same problem. And setting "UAC Virtualization" for the transfer process worked for me. THANKS MichaelWK!!!
slay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
kumaaz99

Transfer Fix Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWK View Post
Here's what worked for me. With the Desktop running and server activated, enter you Windows Task Manager by hitting CTRL / ALT / DEL.
Under Processes, you should see 4 Tivo services running.
Right click TIVO TRANSFER, and make sure UAC Virtualization is checked.
Once I did that, works like a charm! Now transferring a file to my PC that I could not burn to DVD on my Humax Series 2 with built in DVD burner.
Pretty excited about not losing the program from my DVR at some point. Woo hoo!
=======================
This sounds good but when I do the rightclick I don't see the "UAC Virtualization". I only get end process, end process tree & set priority. Can you tell me where it is?
I'm getting the same transfer issue. I transferred about 10 recordings ok before this started. Tried everything - different pc, different tivo, etc. When I spoke to CS they said it's a known issue and they're working on it. I told them this issue has been on the forums since 2009 and I got a pretty ****ty response, as usual.
kumaaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaaz99 View Post
=======================
This sounds good but when I do the rightclick I don't see the "UAC Virtualization". I only get end process, end process tree & set priority. Can you tell me where it is?
I'm getting the same transfer issue. I transferred about 10 recordings ok before this started. Tried everything - different pc, different tivo, etc. When I spoke to CS they said it's a known issue and they're working on it. I told them this issue has been on the forums since 2009 and I got a pretty ****ty response, as usual.
This is a new problem which has generated numerous threads. Absolutely no reason to resurrect a thread that has been dead for 3 years. Both pyTivo and kmttg have already been modified and there is a workaround for TD documented here.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
EdwPowers

Anyone know if TiVOPlayList is also going to get fixed, or if there is a work around for it?
EdwPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwPowers View Post
Anyone know if TiVOPlayList is also going to get fixed, or if there is a work around for it?
Answers: The developer says yes, when he gets to it, and yes there is a workaround.

Search these forums on "tivoplaylist" selecting post results and details of both answers will pop up near the top of the results list.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
SNJpage1

How many threads are there now on this subject?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
How many threads are there now on this subject?
As Damon Runyon would have said, more than several.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
SNJpage1

Does any one know if Tivo is going to release an Update for Desktop to fix the problem?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Does any one know if Tivo is going to release an Update for Desktop to fix the problem?
They're making noises in that direction, completely ignoring the fact that, with regard to this particular problem, it's not Desktop that needs fixing, but the TiVos themselves, because the TiVos are where the outdated cookie time bomb was placed.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
SNJpage1

unitron
does the Tivo send the cookie back to the folder that Tivo Desktop created when it was installed, like a web site downloads a cookie to your computer?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
unitron
does the Tivo send the cookie back to the folder that Tivo Desktop created when it was installed, like a web site downloads a cookie to your computer?
notting and morac figured out what was going on (which would have been beyond my abilities), I just spread the word to several of the many threads where people were asking what was wrong.

Start here, like I did.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post9526322

Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
unitron
Neither the TiVo nor web sites work that way. They send cookies -- what happens on your end is up to the software on your end.

In this case, the cookies are marked with an expiration date of February 16th, 2013. RFC-compliant software is therefore throwing these cookies away, as it should. So, they don't get stored anywhere. But, if they did get stored, the location would be both software-specific, and irrelevant. So, I'm not sure what information you're really looking for here.

Edit: To elaborate, web sites don't download. You download things from a website to your computer; or, you could say that your computer (or rather, specific software on your computer) downloads things from the web site. Either way, the web server just sits there waiting for your requests. It's not the initiator, and it doesn't know about locations on your computer. (There are some exceptions, but let's not go into that right now.) And, if it were the web server initiating the transfer, you'd say that it was uploading to you, not downloading.

Cookies are delivered as part of the "headers" in response to a request -- a few lines of info that precede the document proper. And in this case, the TiVo is expecting the cookie that it last sent you to be sent back to it on your next request. Since RFC-compliant software has already thrown the expired cookie away, that doesn't happen. But as it turns out, what the TiVo really wants back is just a cookie with the data "sid=<whatever>", and it doesn't check the value of <whatever>. So the workarounds are just sending fake cookies, with a constant value for <whatever>. (If the TiVo actually cared about the value sent back, it would be necessary to override the normal cookie expiration behavior, instead of sending fake cookies.)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 03-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwPowers View Post
I have released a new version of TiVoPlayList v0.71 which fixes the expired cookie issue. Thanks everyone.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote