TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.47 average.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #91
HazelW

Just got my replacement mini and it has the same problem. Moca does not work, but nim100 works on same outlet. I guess I'll just try to get my lifetime service refunded and return the mini and do without. Can't see trying it over and over until TiVo recalls the bad batch--assuming that is what it is.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Just got my replacement mini and it has the same problem. Moca does not work, but nim100 works on same outlet. I guess I'll just try to get my lifetime service refunded and return the mini and do without. Can't see trying it over and over until TiVo recalls the bad batch--assuming that is what it is.
Have you tried manually selecting the MoCA channel for all your MoCA devices?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #93
HazelW

I have not tried that but I did try using a different device to connect to the router. The XL4 on Moca worked fine either way but the mini does not.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #94
Dan203
Super Moderator

As a test try putting the mini in the same room as the XL4 and see if they can talk via MoCa. Could be that the nim100 is just better at picking up a weak signal. If that's the case then you may want to check your wiring and remove any unused splitters or cable runs to boost the signal to the room where you actually want the Mini. If it doesn't work even in the same room then there is something wrong with the Mini itself.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #95
farlz

Do the minis use a different chipset for MOCA than theXL4?
farlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #96
Dan203
Super Moderator

I believe the MoCa capabilities in the Mini are built right into the main Broadcom chipset. Also I seem to remember seeing something somewhere that said the Mini was only MoCa 1.1 capable, while the XL4 was 1.2. Although I'm not sure what that difference entails in the real world. Obviously TiVo designed the Mini to work with the XL4 so their MoCa capabilities must be compatible.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #97
farlz

I know the mini and XL4 are compatible when using the XL4 as the source of the MOCA, but it appears that for those of us with existing MOCA from a Verizon MI424WR Verizon FIOS router, the XL4 connects fine as a client but the minis do not. Has anyone here been able to connect a mini to a Verizon MI424WR?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #98
BigJimOutlaw

I'm not experiencing any issues using the Fios/Actiontec router.

For either of you, are there any amps or old splitters rated for less than 1000MHz on the coax leading to those TVs? Either of those could kill the MoCA signal. Ideally there would be no amps and any questionable splitters should be at least 1000MHz.

If an amp is in use, it would ideally be at the coax's point of entry in the house so that all the moca devices can find each other without having to pass through it. But if that's not doable, it also needs to be able to pass-through frequencies up to at least 1000 MHz.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-31-2013 at 01:53 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #99
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I'm not experiencing any issues using the Fios/Actiontec router.

For either of you, are there any amps or old splitters rated for less than 1000MHz on the coax leading to those TVs? Either of those could kill the MoCA signal. Ideally there would be no amps and any questionable splitters should be at least 1000MHz.

If an amp is in use, it would ideally be at the coax's point of entry in the house so that all the moca devices can find each other without having to pass through it. But if that's not doable, it also needs to be able to pass-through frequencies up to at least 1000 MHz.
In my case, all of the outlets home run to a spliter with no amps. My Moca works fine on all outlets I have tried. I have used actiontek routers and nim100 with no problem. The XL4 works fine. The two minis I have tried did not work on moca and I tried both an actiontek router and a min100 connected to my router. XL4 worked with either, minis did not.

Tivo is replacing my second mini, so I'll have another go at it next week.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #100
HazelW

Well, I got my third mini to try and have the same problem(MOCA does not work). So I bought an official TiVo MOCA adapter to use at the router end of my network. The mini still does not connect via MOCA but does connect via Ethernet using a NIM100 MOCA adapter on the same outlet. I guess I'll just have to resign myself to using that.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #101
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm betting your signal quality is right on the edge. The NIM100 must just be better at establishing a connection with poor signal quality then the MoCa adapter built into the Mini.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #102
farlz

I have the same exact scenario as HazelW. I went ahead and bought the newest Fios router from the Verizon online store (wireless N and gigE) thinking maybe the older one didn't have Moca 1.1 or something, but NO, same issue, the Mini's won't connect but the nim100 does. I turned the old router into a Moca bridge in another room and it connects fine too while the second Mini won't connect via Moca in that spot either. There's something seriously wrong with the Moca in these things. Is it possible they are designed to work over Moca ONLY when the Premier is the source of the Moca and not another client?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #103
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think that's possible. But you could test it. Turn the router's MoCa off, connect the premiere to the router using Ethernet and then enable the Premiere's MoCa Bridge Mode. If that works then you at least know it's a compatibility issue between the router and the Mini and not a signal strength issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #104
HazelW

Tivo.com says:

Verify you have not accidentally connected both a coax cable and an Ethernet cable to a 4-tuner TiVo DVR on your MoCA network. Doing so will automatically enable the Bridge mode, and the TiVo DVR will attempt to create another MoCA network rather than use the current network.

I do have a switch connected to the Ethernet port of my XL4 that connects to a PS3 and a TV. Works fine. What does it mean that the DVR will "attempt to create another MoCA network".

I guess I'll try disconnecting the ethernet from the XL4 and see what that does.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #105
BigJimOutlaw

Worth trying I guess. Not sure if it'll be fruitful.

It means pretty much that. The Fios router creates a moca network. If the Tivo is in bridge mode, it will try to create its own moca network too. This conflict can cause signal problems. One can also make sure there isn't a conflict by going into the network settings and confirm the Tivo is set strictly to "moca connection" and not "moca + ethernet".

Wish I knew what's happening for some folks. The Fios router + Tivo setup is playing well for me.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #106
BigJimOutlaw

Shot in the dark, but does anybody with Mini troubles want to try disabling the IGMP Proxy on their Fios router?

Advanced > IGMP Proxy > Disable

Unless you use their multi-room DVR, you don't need it. It's mostly a data sharing/auto discovery thing and probably won't work, but it helped fix an unrelated problem I was having with various devices as well as the iOS app.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #107
Hrbek14

One note to make - after looking through this thread, I sent off a message to TiVo support to ask about the ethernet port on the TiVo Mini. Since I'll be using MoCA with my XL4 running the network (it is directly attached to the router) and my Mini will be in another room, connected by MoCA, I thought I might be able to use the ethernet port on the Mini to connect another device to the network, but support said it is an input only port, so I'd need to get a MoCA adapter to do that. Too bad - it seems like I should be able to piggy-back on the built-in capability.
Hrbek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #108
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah the Mini does not bridge MoCa and Ethernet like the XL4 does. On the Mini it's one or the other.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #109
farlz

Quote:
Wish I knew what's happening for some folks. The Fios router + Tivo setup is playing well for me.
Do you also have a Mini in the mix with your Fios router and Tivo?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #110
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlz View Post
Do you also have a Mini in the mix with your Fios router and Tivo?
Yep. I have an Elite and Mini using moca, and a classic Premiere using moca via a second Actiontec router in bridge mode.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #111
HazelW

Quote:
Worth trying I guess. Not sure if it'll be fruitful.

It means pretty much that. The Fios router creates a moca network. If the Tivo is in bridge mode, it will try to create its own moca network too. This conflict can cause signal problems. One can also make sure there isn't a conflict by going into the network settings and confirm the Tivo is set strictly to "moca connection" and not "moca + ethernet".

I disconnected the ethernet cable from my XL4, but the network status still says "moca + ethernet". It also says "no more moca nodes available". Perhaps I should reboot the DVR and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #112
HazelW

Success!

Well I just reset the network on the XL4 to ethernet and of course it did not connect since there is no ethernet connected. I then reset it to moca. At first it said it could not find a connection but after trying a few times it connected via moca. I then went to the mini and tried moca again, and viola--it worked!

The XL4 still says "ethernet + moca" even though there is no ethernet cable connected right now.

Next step will be to reconnect the ethernet cabel on the XL4 that goes to a switch and a PS3 and TV and see if the mini still works.

So faltz--give that a try and see if you can get the mini to work.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #113
farlz

Thanks, will do (might be a while, it's actually my dad's setup which I "support"). I also have a Roku connected to the XL4's ethernet port, hopefully that won't be an issue. I never did reboot the XL4 after installing the Mini's (was pressed for time), I should knock myself in the head for disregarding the first step in computer troubleshooting - REBOOT!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #114
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlz View Post
Thanks, will do (might be a while, it's actually my dad's setup which I "support"). I also have a Roku connected to the XL4's ethernet port, hopefully that won't be an issue. I never did reboot the XL4 after installing the Mini's (was pressed for time), I should knock myself in the head for disregarding the first step in computer troubleshooting - REBOOT!
Also, disconnect the Roku before trying the mini again. I actually did not reboot, just redid the network setup after disconnecting the ethernet cable.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #115
topperge

Moca not happening

Hey guys,
I've been trying to get this working with both Brighthouse and Tivo tech support for two days and it's become a bunch of finger pointing. Hoping to get some help here.

My setup is an XL4 connected to a Sonicwall TZ215 router via Ethernet and enabling the MOCA bridge on the XL4. I'm trying to get it to connect to a Mini via MOCA.

I've confirmed that the TV signal is getting to the TV where the mini is so no problems there. I've put a POE filter in the correct spot before any splitters. I'm running a Motorola SB6141 of my own which does not have MOCA built in.

My XL4 and Mini will not get on the MOCA network at all. The XL4 gets an IP from the Sonicwall but the bridging doesn't seem to be working. When I plug the mini directly into the XL4 the MOCA interfaces on both sides are enabled and online but the mini isn't able to find the XL4. (It's farkin direct connected!!!) At this point Brighthouse and Tivo are at a loss.

Any ideas?
Matt
topperge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #116
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperge View Post
Hey guys,
I've been trying to get this working with both Brighthouse and Tivo tech support for two days and it's become a bunch of finger pointing. Hoping to get some help here.

My setup is an XL4 connected to a Sonicwall TZ215 router via Ethernet and enabling the MOCA bridge on the XL4. I'm trying to get it to connect to a Mini via MOCA.

I've confirmed that the TV signal is getting to the TV where the mini is so no problems there. I've put a POE filter in the correct spot before any splitters. I'm running a Motorola SB6141 of my own which does not have MOCA built in.

My XL4 and Mini will not get on the MOCA network at all. The XL4 gets an IP from the Sonicwall but the bridging doesn't seem to be working. When I plug the mini directly into the XL4 the MOCA interfaces on both sides are enabled and online but the mini isn't able to find the XL4. (It's farkin direct connected!!!) At this point Brighthouse and Tivo are at a loss.

Any ideas?
Matt
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Is the XL4 network settings set to "ethernet + moca" for your setup?

Are all of the splitters between the XL4 and Mini rated for at least 1000 MHz? You may get a TV signal, but moca operates at a higher frequency than the video.

Is there an amp? That too would need to be able to pass-through at least 1000MHz.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #117
Pacomartin

I like this diagram because it clearly shows the coax output labelled "TV/STB out" going to the cable modem, and not to the TV/STB.

I realized that the bridge has an engraved label for another intended purpose, that of being used in pairs. In pair usage, the Coax is just a relay for the ethernet signal.

I note that the cable installer put two MoCa filters on my system. One at the "point of entry" and a second one at the cable modem. I am not precisely sure what is the reason for the second filter, but it works fine. I assume that he knows what he is doing.

I am curious as to the motivation, however.
Pacomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #118
topperge

Quote:
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Is the XL4 network settings set to "ethernet + moca" for your setup?

Are all of the splitters between the XL4 and Mini rated for at least 1000 MHz? You may get a TV signal, but moca operates at a higher frequency than the video.

Is there an amp? That too would need to be able to pass-through at least 1000MHz.
Yes, shows ethernet+moca, but you might have hit on something with the splitters. I don't have any amps but the splitters only work up to 1002MHz. After reading moca runs between 500-1500.

Looks like I'm making a rat shack trip in the morning.
topperge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #119
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post

I like this diagram because it clearly shows the coax output labelled "TV/STB out" going to the cable modem, and not to the TV/STB.

I realized that the bridge has an engraved label for another intended purpose, that of being used in pairs. In pair usage, the Coax is just a relay for the ethernet signal.

I note that the cable installer put two MoCa filters on my system. One at the "point of entry" and a second one at the cable modem. I am not precisely sure what is the reason for the second filter, but it works fine. I assume that he knows what he is doing.

I am curious as to the motivation, however.
I actually don't much like that diagram because it sort of implies that you *need* the MoCA adapter connected to the cable modem, which you don't. You just need it connected to your cable plant *somewhere*. My adapter is bridged in the basement, nowhere near my cable modem.

The MoCA filter your installer put at the cable modem is to prevent MoCA interference with the modem. There has been much debate on these forums as to whether it's necessary or actually does anything, but it isn't likely to hurt.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #120
Bigg

The MoCA filter on the modem does absolutely nothing. The legitimate debate is whether you need one at the point of entry, and from what I've heard, the answer is usually no, but sometimes yes.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote