TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.69 average.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #301
fish62858

thanks again Bigg... you have been most helpful...

unfortunately, i have just tested the coax jacks/cables of the rooms in question and there is no continuity, which is what i was afraid of... we had cox cable, then went to directv, and when the satellite service was installed, apparently things changed and now that all the directv stuff is pulled and returned, the two rooms are apparently not connected any longer... so i guess i'm going to run a cat5 along the wall baseboard and over doors and along the corner of wall and ceiling and be done with it... the wife will not like it but she will like having choices for viewing in the bedroom... besides, i think i've spent enough money already, we'll wait till some of the "cut the cord" savings begin to accumulate and see what that may bring... thanks again...
fish62858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #302
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish62858 View Post
thanks again Bigg... you have been most helpful...

unfortunately, i have just tested the coax jacks/cables of the rooms in question and there is no continuity, which is what i was afraid of... we had cox cable, then went to directv, and when the satellite service was installed, apparently things changed and now that all the directv stuff is pulled and returned, the two rooms are apparently not connected any longer... so i guess i'm going to run a cat5 along the wall baseboard and over doors and along the corner of wall and ceiling and be done with it... the wife will not like it but she will like having choices for viewing in the bedroom... besides, i think i've spent enough money already, we'll wait till some of the "cut the cord" savings begin to accumulate and see what that may bring... thanks again...
They most likely end up in the same place, either on the outside of the building, or in the basement. Go figure out where all the coax goes, and then test which cable is which, and you should be able to join them together. It just sounds like there is nothing there right now, or there is a legacy D* multiswitch or something. My house had a SWiM setup, we have Comcast now, but the SWiM stuff and the dish are all still here, we just switched the wires over to regular splitters. OTOH, the CAT-5 method is cheaper. Do you rent or own your dwelling unit?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #303
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Do you rent or own your dwelling unit?
"dwelling unit" -> home -> residence, all the same stuff, but I got a laugh for some bizarre reason...

"parental units", now that's one from The Jetsons saying that used to drive my parental units to anger. Depersonalized a bit much I guess.

Dwelling unit sounds like a SRO/cube/or anyplace you could "dwell in", even a cave...

Nice to see you helping out. I never had D* or any form of satellite, so you seem quite qualified for this.

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #304
Bigg

Yeah, I usually hear things referred to as Multiple Dwelling Units or Single Family Units for the sake of telecom stuff... It's a little bit of a weird terminology. People have built dwellings in caves.

I have never had D* either, but the house I am in now has some remnants of a Slimline setup that was converted to a SWiMLine setup at some point, which is now used with Comcast cable. It looks like it may have been used with DECA for a short period of time, and now we're running with MoCA.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #305
rich
Final answer?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. If I get a MoCA network adapter, can I run the "cable out" to a TiVo Mini, as well as use the "ethernet out" to connect to a stereo receiver that wants an ethernet connection?

This seems like a cool way to get ethernet to that receiver without having to run a dedicated wire to it.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #306
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

That should work, but if it doesn't you could always split the cable before it goes into the adapter then send the other leg to the Mini.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #307
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked before. If I get a MoCA network adapter, can I run the "cable out" to a TiVo Mini, as well as use the "ethernet out" to connect to a stereo receiver that wants an ethernet connection?

This seems like a cool way to get ethernet to that receiver without having to run a dedicated wire to it.
I do something similer for my son's room but a use a old cheap fios router I picked up on ebay to connect his room were he has a desktop PC, Xbox and a 2 tuner Premiere. The router is configured as as a gateway bridging the coax Moca back to 5 ports of ethernet. It was too distant to run ethernet to his room and was too far away to get a decent wireless signal.

Using a single Moca adapter would accomplish the same if all you need is a single ethernet port.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #308
Bigg

Quote:

You would need an Ethernet switch or a coax splitter, as the MoCA adapter filters out MoCA on the cable out port.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #309
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:

You'll need a splitter. One leg to the Mini, the other leg to the moca adapter. Easy little fix. (Reason: The cable-out on the adapter for some silly reason doesn't pass-through the moca signal, so the Mini wouldn't be able to connect.)

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-17-2014 at 05:15 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #310
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
The router is configured as as a gateway bridging the coax Moca back to 5 ports of ethernet.
How do you get the 5 ports of ethernet? I get 4 without the wan port.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #311
tbielowicz

I plan on using my Roamio Plus to setup my Moca network.

Has anyone been able to use a moca connected Tivo Mini's Ethernet port to connect another device?
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #312
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post
I plan on using my Roamio Plus to setup my Moca network.

Has anyone been able to use a moca connected Tivo Mini's Ethernet port to connect another device?
Unfortunately the Mini doesn't bridge its ethernet port. Would be nice if it did though.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #313
sheshechic

Help me please, I'm tearing out my hair.

I have a Roamio Pro that is Moca host, an XL4client and two mini clients. One mini is in the LR downstairs that I want to run with a moca adapter but everything I have tried fails. The coax is split, with one leg going to cable box, one leg going to adapter, ethernet out of adapter to mini. That seems to kill the adapter altogether because then I couldn't get the coax or ethernet to work with the mini removed either. After that it wouldn't even work with coax straight in without going through guided setup again. At one point the mini was showing the connection as ethernet + moca, I didn't think it could do that, so why would it even show that?

Prior to trying to accomplish this again (tried last year) I had the moca network setup via an adapter at the modem/router and the partner adapter in LR. I'm attempting this once again because there's just too much electrical stuff surrounding me now - more than 12, and that's not including the stuff on the tv wall or my husbands desk across the room. I'm going to start seeing ghosts soon with all the emf going on in this room, so please help me get my head straight on this. Like I said, I tried it last year when I upgraded all my tivos and failed. Is it just not possible to insert an adapter into the tivo created moca system? Could it possibly be my actiontec adapters, or what? Thanks.
sheshechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #314
BigJimOutlaw

sheshechic, I'm not not quite sure I follow everything. I thought I had an idea, but then you say you're trying last year's setup again, so we need to be clear what your exact setup is right now today. Are you now trying to create a moca network with an adapter or the Tivo?

First, let's make sure the moca network is setup properly.

1. All of your Tivo devices have moca built-in, so the adapter isn't needed directly at any of the devices. It can be installed at the modem/router as you did before. (First pic in wildcat's post.)

2. Disconnect any ethernet on all Tivo boxes and select "MoCA" as all of their connections. Minis too. No adapters needed. If there is a Mini that still needs Guided Setup done, hold off on that one.

3. Reboot everything... Modem, Router, Tivos, Minis, to flush out old connection settings.

4. If there's a Mini that needed Guided Setup run, do it now.

After that, with a moca adapter as the host and all Tivo devices set up as moca clients, which ones don't work?

The most common fix to poor moca signals is to check the splitters in the house. Make sure they're rated for at least 1000 MHz (1 GHz) and aren't damaged or too old. If this problem is only happening at one location, you can follow that coax to the potential problem splitter(s).

A moca POE filter installed at the house's point of entry is a good idea as well.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-29-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #315
sheshechic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcat4life View Post
Not to confuse you but the instructions I just gave you in my previous post was assuming that you wasn't going to be connecting your MoCA enabled DVR (roamio pro or XL4) directly to your router?: if you are not connecting your DVR directly to your router then you would follow the instructions in my previous reply but if you are going to connect your Roamio Pro directly to your router then you don't need any action tech adaptors... all you would need to do is Connect the coax cable coming from the wall to the Cable/MoCA port on the Roamio Pro and then Connect an Ethernet cable from your home network to the Ethernet port on the Roamio Pro then go into your network settings and select " use this DVR to create MoCA network" then on your XL4 and mini just hook your coax cable into their MoCA ports and go into your network settings and select " connect using MoCA"

Hope my information helps you....
That is how I've got it hooked up now and moca is working. The problem is in the living room where I need ethernet for other components, using an ethernet hub. That is my setup in the den as well but with the XL4 it's easy peasy because it acts as a bridge, which the mini will not do. It was my understanding that all moca is compatible but in my situation it's acting like it's not. When I insert a single moca adapter into the mix, with the mini, it gets knocked out, as though a loop is being created or something. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, missing a step, or if it's the actiontec adapter (same one that Tivo sells). It does work when I use 2 adapters, with one creating and hosting the moca network, but not when Tivo hosts and I try to insert a single adapter. Does anyone else have a setup like this? My ideal setup would be connecting mini via ethernet off the ethernet hub.

Edit: Doesn't the status of the mini stating moca + ethernet indicate a possible loop? That really threw me, especially since it would not change through "change network setting" option.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #316
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
When I insert a single moca adapter into the mix, with the mini, it gets knocked out, as though a loop is being created or something.
The coax to that wonky moca adapter wasn't coming from the TV-out of another adapter by chance, was it? That won't work, so just making sure. Sort of also sounds like the wonky adapter wants to be the host and competes with the Roamio if it's a host. Does that particular adapter have a host/client switch? It sounds like you pretty much know what's-what, but I'm just covering the bases.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #317
sheshechic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The coax to that wonky moca adapter wasn't coming from the TV-out of another adapter by chance, was it? That won't work, so just making sure. Sort of also sounds like the wonky adapter wants to be the host and competes with the Roamio if it's a host. Does that particular adapter have a host/client switch? It sounds like you pretty much know what's-what, but I'm just covering the bases.
There is a switch but that is not it's function. I just went through all of the online information available on this model- ECB2500C and found nothing that indicates that it can, or needs, to be set to either host or client.

The cable/coax isn't coming from any other device. I've tried this with the coax coming from a two way splitter and direct from the wall. If no one has any answers or new ideas I guess I still have two other options- switch minis to see what happens and/or let the mini in question stay unplugged for a period of time and try again being sure not to ever let it hook up by moca.

Thanks for trying. I was hoping that someone before me had this problem and could tell me how they resolved it- knowing what caused it would sooth my brain too.

Edit: BTW, I did try this with both adapters too.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #318
sheshechic

Quote:
Its good to hear that your MoCA is working but we need to figure out why the Mini isn't..... I'm not completely sure on a few things so if you don't mind if I ask; did you use one of your 4 tuner DVR's (Roamio Pro or XL4) at your router to create your MoCA or did you use an action tech adaptor at your router to create your MoCA? also do you have a Coax cable available to connect directly to your MoCA port to your Mini or are you trying to connect your Mini via an ethernet cable? after I know this information I think I can troubleshoot your problem better...thanks
Yes, and my moca is working without the adapter at the mini. It also works when the adapter is the moca host, with the adapter at the mini. It just doesn't work when the Roamio Pro is the host and I try to insert the adapter at another location on the mini. This was tried with both with a coax from the wall and with a two way splitter. And I have also swapped out the adapters to ensure that the problem isn't only with one.

Can you tell me how the mini could possibly state that the connection is ethernet + coax? That makes no sense at all. Also, can you tell me why the adapter light for coax gives a steady light until the mini is put into the mix? After that I cannot get the adapter's light for coax to come on again until everything (Roamio Pro and Mini) is rebooted. I kept the XL4 out of the mix while attempting to get this all working correctly.

BTW, my ultimate goal is to connect the mini by ethernet via hub attached to adapter, but I can't even get it going simply attached to the adapter.

Last edited by sheshechic : 06-29-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #319
sheshechic

Quote:
Ok lets go through a few things....first like Big Jim Outlaw and I said last night all of your devices have MoCA built into them so you really don't need to use an adaptor..the only way you should use an adaptor is if you are not going to hook one of your 4 tuner DVR's (Roamio Pro or XL4) directly to your router and use that DVR as the host to create your MoCA network.... if you are not using one of your 4 tuner DVR's to create your MoCA network then you would have to use one adaptor at your router to create your MoCA and then just plug your Coax cable into the devices ( Roamio Pro, XL4, and Mini) and go into your network settings and connect via MoCA on all of them....like Jim Outlaw stated last night you would also disconnect any ethernet cords from them....you stated that you were using two adaptors? if so that is definitely a problem and would create that loop that you were talking about and thats because all of your devices already MoCA built into them and if you're using two adaptors then you're creating a double MoCA network and thus forming a loop.... and the only explanation I can come up with as to why your Mini is saying its connected via ethernet and Coax is because you have connected both an ethernet and Coax cable into it? if so you can't do that; you would either have to connect it via an ethernet cord or just your Coax cable... I myself use one Mini and I connect mine via a Coax cable and use MoCA...... let me know if this helps you any....I don't mind to keep troubleshooting until we can figure this out....
I mean no disrespect but, I'm really sorry that you're not understanding anything that I've said, nor what I'm trying to accomplish. Thank you for trying.

Regarding the connection status on the mini, it should not be capable of saying that the status is "ethernet + moca" because it is not capable of utilizing that type of connection at all- just not technically possible. Also, even if it could, it should only state such if both ports are being used- ethernet and coax connected- that has never happened. This seems to indicate to me that it's not letting go of one connection when switching to another. I'll be trying this out with my other mini on Monday, once my non-nerd people are out of the house.

Last edited by sheshechic : 06-29-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #320
BigJimOutlaw

Ok, from long distance I don't really understand why the Roamio and adapter don't like each other when the Roamio is the host, other than maybe they're both in a packet battle to create the moca network for some reason. I also don't know why the Mini would say moca + ethernet or why that'd even be an option for it.

But obviously the Mini should be set to moca or ethernet, not both, and only one or the other cable should be connected to it.

I know you're trying to cut down on the rats nest of equipment so you don't see dead things, but perhaps the best thing is to let the adapter do the hosting, and get an additional one if necessary for a location that needs it.

If it helps, there is now (finally) a moca adapter with 4 ethernet ports, hopefully negating the need for a switch. Cheapest price I'm seeing in google is $81, but this is what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-Thea...s=moca+adapter

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-30-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #321
sheshechic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Ok, from long distance I don't really understand why the Roamio and adapter don't like each other when the Roamio is the host, other than maybe they're both in a packet battle to create the moca network for some reason. I also don't know why the Mini would say moca + ethernet or why that'd even be an option for it.

But obviously the Mini should be set to moca or ethernet, not both, and only one or the other cable should be connected to it.

I know you're trying to cut down on the rats nest of equipment so you don't see dead things, but perhaps the best thing is to let the adapter do the hosting, and get an additional one if necessary for a location that needs it.

If it helps, there is now (finally) a moca adapter with 4 ethernet ports, hopefully negating the need for a switch. Cheapest price I'm seeing in google is $81, but this is what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-Thea...s=moca+adapter
Thanks BigJim, you really put a smile on my face. I'm going to try the other mini just to eliminate the possibility that I have one bad mini, and if so, then I can just swap them out. If not then I'll probably just do as you've suggested. I'm spoiled and no longer care for wireless, besides the living room (where the problem exists) has problems with wireless reception. Actually, thinking about it, it's always been a problem room, even cable reception was bad in there- long story. Anyway... Thank you so much for your help.
Sheila
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #322
sheshechic

Didn't work with other mini either. I'm ordering another adapter and will update after it arrives- just in case anyone else goes through the same thing.

Does anyone think that posting my question on another board could have better results?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #323
Farplaner

Hello all, I'm trying to get my Roamio Plus to connect to the MoCA network that I have working already, but no luck (C33 error). I currently have Verizon FiOS (but not using their router). This is my current setup:

1st floor:
ONT (ethernet) -> Router -> Netgear MoCA adapter (mca1001) -> Coax outlet

2nd floor:
Coax outlet -> Netgear MoCA adapter (mca1001) -> network switch -> other devices

Coax outlet -> FiOS DVR

Everything is currently working, having MoCA connectivity to all other devices I have on the network. (FiOS DVR can access guide data and VOD)

Now when I tried to replace my FiOS DVR with my Roamio Plus, and try to connect via MoCA. It doesn't work (C33 error). I can connect an ethernet cable to it since I have the network switch nearby, but I was hoping I can replace the netgear on the 2nd floor and just use the Roamio Plus as the MoCA bridge.

I looked into the Netgear status and it says it uses MoCA 1.1, which should be what the Roamio uses, so I'm a bit lost at the moment why it wouldn't connect to the MoCA network.

Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance.
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #324
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post
Hello all, I'm trying to get my Roamio Plus to connect to the MoCA network that I have working already, but no luck (C33 error). I currently have Verizon FiOS (but not using their router). This is my current setup:

1st floor:

2nd floor:
Coax outlet -> Netgear MoCA adapter (mca1001) -> network switch -> other devices

Coax outlet -> FiOS DVR

Everything is currently working, having MoCA connectivity to all other devices I have on the network. (FiOS DVR can access guide data and VOD)

Now when I tried to replace my FiOS DVR with my Roamio Plus, and try to connect via MoCA. It doesn't work (C33 error). I can connect an ethernet cable to it since I have the network switch nearby, but I was hoping I can replace the netgear on the 2nd floor and just use the Roamio Plus as the MoCA bridge.

I looked into the Netgear status and it says it uses MoCA 1.1, which should be what the Roamio uses, so I'm a bit lost at the moment why it wouldn't connect to the MoCA network.

I would try different moca channel settings on the Roamio (including Auto if it's not already) to see if any of them hit.

If that's a no-go, you could try connecting the Roamio to the moca network at another location and see if it connects. This may either isolate the Roamio as the issue, or perhaps that location's coax as the issue.

Have you tried making it the moca host yet? Maybe everything will just work?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #325
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post

1st floor:

2nd floor:

Coax outlet -> FiOS DVR

Are your netgear devices set for one specific channel or on auto? I'm not sure if it has an auto setting. I know I set my Dlink MoCA adapters(which are basically identical to the Netgear ones) on channel 15. Then I set my Roamio Pro on auto for the channel selection. I needed to turn on the TiVo first and then connect one Dlink adapter at a time. Making sure I got a connection before turning on the second one.

When I did that I had no problem connecting to the Dlink adapters. But when I tried connecting to them, after they had established a link between each other, the Roamio would not connect to them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #326
Farplaner

Thanks for the suggestions. I have everything set up to auto (and it seems like the adapters chose channel 15).

I'm not exactly sure what fixed it, but I did these:
1) Unplugged all the coax from the house
2) Plug in the 2 Netgear MoCA adapters
3) Make sure the network functions
4) Plug in Roamio
5) Try to connect... and it worked.
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #327
rodeho

In lieu of starting a whole new thread regarding my wonderful venture into MoCA and having everyone sigh at the sight of it, I decided to post in here.

Let me preface by saying I have read through this entire thread. Some great information in here. I almost feel like an expert in MoCA. Almost being the keyword...

I am trying to set up a MoCA network in my house and it is not going well.

See the attached image for my current setup.

Originally, the main feed went through a 2-way splitter where one side went to the modem (MoCA adapter) and the other through the amp which fed all of the wall outlets. We (cable tech and myself) reconfigured it to the attached and still can not get it to work.

As a trial, we split the feed going to the modem/MoCA adapter between the modem and the Roamio. This resulted in the MoCA being recognized by the Roamio.

So is this telling me that the feed to the Roamio is not working properly? It currently displays all TV channels within our package with no issue whatsoever. I would like to keep it at this location because this is where all of our TV consumption occurs.

This weekend, I plan on moving the Roamio to another outlet to see if that resolves the issue. I may also relocate the modem and router to where the Roamio is currently and split the feed as we did with the trial. This would eliminate the need for the MoCA adapter as I could just connect to the router directly via Cat5e.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HouseCableWiring-New.jpg (40.2 KB, 22 views)
rodeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #328
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

What is the purpose of the ecb2500c moca adapter? Are you using that to bridge your ethernet into moca instead of using the Roamio Plus to bridge it since it doesnt appear you have ethernet going to the plus?

I would take the amp out and see what happens, I understand that unless its specifically designed for moca, those can cause issues.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #329
rodeho

That is correct sir.

Regarding the amp, in a document shared in this thread..

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/.../4031235_B.pdf

..I followed the suggestion of placing the amp ahead of everything in the system hoping this would resolve the issue. I will take it out and see if that does anything.

Thank you for the suggestion.
rodeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #330
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

You are correct that the amplifier should not be a problem in its current location (assuming it is working correctly and not over-amplifying everything beyond specs).

You are not saying how things are not working. Is it problems between Roamio and Mini? Is it problems between Roamio and Internet? Is all other internet working (current diagram really puts a lot of stress on the cable modem - it should really be set up as in your original setup (outside to splitter, one to cable modem and one to amplifier)).