Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
New TiVo Mini, no video signal

So back oct I bought two Minis when they made the switch to free lifetime but the prices were still $99. One of them I hooked up righ away. The other I intended to put in the guest room. I never got around to hooking it up until tonight. However even though I never hooked it up I activated it right after I got it just to be sure I got the free lifetime. Anyway I hook it up and I get nothing. No "welcome starting up screen", nothing. TV just says "no signal". I even tried an analog cable connected to the AV port and still nothing. The light on the front is on. The link lights on the Ethernet port are not. And when I tried to plug something in to the USB port it has no power. I tried swapping it in place if one of my other Minis and got nothing there either, so it doesn't seem to be the power supply.

Is it just dead? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I held on to it for so long before hooking it up I might just be screwed if it's dead.

Last edited by Dan203; 03-22-2015 at 11:33 PM..
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Marty1781

If you bought from a company like Amazon, sometimes they will help you out if you just explain the situation even though it's been over 30 days (might have to play customer service rep roulette and/or ask to speak with a supervisor if you don't get anywhere at first). If all else fails, seems you are still within the 1 year parts Tivo warranty so you can try giving Tivo a call and see what they can do for you.

Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
HarperVision

Have you tried this:

There is no video output
Verify there is power to TiVo Mini by checking that the white LED on the front panel is illuminated.
Verify you are on the correct TV input.
Verify all cables are plugged in correctly.
Change the video output resolution on TiVo Mini:
Press the Resolution button (located on the bottom of TiVo Mini). Each time you press the button, the output resolution will change.
Continue pressing the Resolution button until the TV displays a picture. Wait a few moments between each press for the new resolution to synchronize with the TV.

From here:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2560

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah I tried that. Even tried the analog AV port. (I have the cable for it) It doesn't do anything. I don't even get a flicker on screen. And as I mentioned the USB poirt has no power and the Ethernet lighs never light up. So it's like it never even boots.

Man what bad luck. What are the odds the one I never opened until now would be dead?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
The Merg
1*

Just to look at all possible issues, have you tried swapping the two Minis?

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
mae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merg View Post
Just to look at all possible issues, have you tried swapping the two Minis?

- Merg

Or the two power supplies?

mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
The Merg
1*

That's always a possibility as well.

- Merg

Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So back oct I bought two Minis when they made the switch to free lifetime but the prices were still $99. One of them I hooked up righ away. The other I intended to put in the guest room. I never got around to hooking it up until tonight. However even though I never hooked it up I activated it right after I got it just to be sure I got the free lifetime. Anyway I hook it up and I get nothing. No "welcome starting up screen", nothing. TV just says "no signal". I even tried an analog cable connected to the AV port and still nothing. The light on the front is on. The link lights on the Ethernet port are not. And when I tried to plug something in to the USB port it has no power. I tried swapping it in place if one of my other Minis and got nothing there either, so it doesn't seem to be the power supply. Is it just dead? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I held on to it for so long before hooking it up I might just be screwed if it's dead.
Quote:
Just to look at all possible issues, have you tried swapping the two Minis? - Merg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Or the two power supplies?
Quote:
That's always a possibility as well. - Merg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems he has already tried that too.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah I also hooked up one of my exiting Minis in the guest room, using the power supply and HDMI cable that came with the new Mini and it works fine. So it's definitely the Mini itself.

Apparently I just got a dud.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
mae

Quote:
Yeah I also hooked up one of my exiting Minis in the guest room, using the power supply and HDMI cable that came with the new Mini and it works fine. So it's definitely the Mini itself.

Apparently I just got a dud.
Figured that given your level of sophistication. I know someone who faced with your situation, bought one at BB and then returned the DOA using the new purchase receipt. I questioned the ethics, but as he pointed out, BB didn't lose anything since they would return it to the manufacturer who was, after all, responsible for the defect. That would work while they are still clearing out the original minis.

As Rod Serling used to say on Twilight Zone, presented for your consideration....

Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I might consider that. I'm a little torn on the ethics of the whole thing. But it sucks to have spent $100 on something that doesn't even work and then get punished for it because I didn't open the box right away.

If I had just opened this one instead of the other one when I hooked up the one in the dining room I would have caught it inside the warranty period and been fine. Just dumb luck that I opened the other one instead.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
mae

One other thought...since you never activated it, maybe play CSR roulette a time or two and see if someone sympathetic might offer you an exchange. Since it is discontinued, they probably have them lying around, even if they are refurb.

I bought a mini 2 a few weeks ago at BB where they were mismarked as clearance and didn't plan on using it until we go to our place at the shore in a few weeks. But I did unpack it, hook it up and activate it just for this reason.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did activate it. I activated as soon as I got it, back in Oct of last year, because they said the free lifetime was for a "limited time" and I didn't want to forget about it and miss out. It had never been taken out of the box until yesterday though.

I ended up ordering one from Amazon. They still had the old ones available. I'll just return the broken one in it's place. It's a little shady but like your friend said it'll likely end up being returned to TiVo anyway and it's there fault it doesn't work.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
mae

Quote:
I did activate it. I activated as soon as I got it, back in Oct of last year, because they said the free lifetime was for a "limited time" and I didn't want to forget about it and miss out. It had never been taken out of the box until yesterday though.

I ended up ordering one from Amazon. They still had the old ones available. I'll just return the broken one in it's place. It's a little shady but like your friend said it'll likely end up being returned to TiVo anyway and it's there fault it doesn't work.
Oh, missed that back at the beginning of the thread, but they should have been able to tell the TSN never called home to activate or download.

Anyway, glad my idea helped, you help so many here.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Got the new one, it works great. I'm even using wifi, via an Ethernet bridge, and it still works perfectly. (I intend to run coax to that room eventually so we can use MoCa instead)