TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
casmit

Minis won't communicate with router/roamio

Here's my situation, Have an actiontec mocha adapter hooked to a surfboard 6141 modem. I use an apple extreme router. Tivo Mini and premiere xl4 were communicating fine until about a month ago when premiere rebooted. Tivo mini went blank. I was able to use a spare actiontec moca adapter and set mini via ethernet and it works perfectly. Now zoom ahead until today.

Picked up a new roamio pro with a new mini. Roamio pro works great over moca, however I get a C109 error when I try to use moca on either mini. I have tried everything to get the mini's to work. The mini's give the same error even when using the same coaxial cable that the roamio is in.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is happening? I was on phone with tiro for over 3 hrs and they are going to research it and get back to me.

Again, the mini's work when attached to moca adapters, but not when I use the Moca setting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

casmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Actiontec adapters have been known to be more sensitive to moca signals than the Minis, so they can sometimes work better, as you've apparently seen.

Weak moca signals are usually a result of either poor splitters or an amp on the line. If there's no amp in the way, I would start with the home's primary splitter and replace it with something rated 1GHz or higher. (but not too high. 3-4GHz frequency splitters are intended for satellite.)

If the problem persists, replace any other splitter(s) in between the main moca adapter, the DVR, and minis that could block their communication.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 02-03-2016 at 03:38 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
casmit

There may be an amplifier to boost whole house signal. I know Comcast was out about a year ago and worked on signal and noise problem. The house is approximately 10 years old. There are no splitters being used, what would you suggest?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
casmit

There is a commscope home connect subscriber amplifier, in our structured wiring box

Old 02-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Is the amp itself serving the feeds to all the rooms? If so, you might need to either replace it with a moca-compatible amp similar to the ones linked below, or (less ideal) have all of the moca devices share a common splitter that connects to your amp, so that the moca signal doesn't have to pass through the amp itself. If you do the latter, it's a good idea to add to a POE filter ($5 on ebay) to the input side of the splitter.

http://www.pctstore.com/RF_Amplifier...ifier_s/55.htm

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 02-03-2016 at 05:54 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Well, there has to be a splitter of some sort, and ok, so it sounds like you are using an amplified splitter.... Its likely the culprit.

Would only take a couple bucks and five minutes to swap in and test with a plain ole splitter to troubleshoot.

You may have had a power surge on the power or cable wires that damaged the amp and made your Tivo reboot. The simple electronics used in splitting are fairly easily damaged by power events.

----
Another avenue of troubleshooting:
Choose specific Moca channels on the Actiontec adapter and all of the tivos. Higher channels are somewhat harder to push/more likely to "go away" with fading coax hardware. The lower/lowest channels can conflict with signals from your cable provider depending on their usage of frequency range, but can be easier to pass. Try a few different channels. Some people have better luck with higher ones, others with lower ones.

Actually, this might be easier to do if you use the bridge in the Roamio as opposed to the adapter... if you have ethernet available near the Roamio... Just pop into the settings menu and pick different channels.

-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
casmit

All rooms go through this amp, howeverThe amplifier is a commscope csapdu9vp, which supposedly Moca compatible. i am not sure if there is a certain way to hook up the cables, I will have to look at it when I get home. I am not sure if it matters what cables are hooked up in what spots. This is all new to me

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Would only take a couple bucks and five minutes to swap in and test with a plain ole splitter to troubleshoot.
Yes. Do it.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmit View Post
All rooms go through this amp, howeverThe amplifier is a commscope csapdu9vp, which supposedly Moca compatible. i am not sure if there is a certain way to hook up the cables, I will have to look at it when I get home. I am not sure if it matters what cables are hooked up in what spots. This is all new to me
Hi,
If you go through Commscope's web pages carefully, you will find there are actually 2 different versions listed with exactly the same model number, however the only one that mentions "MoCA" compatibility in the specifications has a small yellow label on the front where yours currently says "4db Voip". I bought several of those off of Ebay with sellers claiming theirs were "MoCA" compatible but when I tested them found they were not although a severely degraded/ unusable MoCA signal was detected on some. I returned all of them for a refund, no questions were asked.
There are some MoCA compatible amps which I have found for a reasonable price. They are the PPC EVO1-9-U/U or the EVO1-5-U/U but only get the "blue" label ones as the "red" ones are not MoCA friendly. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...U%2FU&_sacat=0
These should also be used with a MoCA POE or Whole Home DVR filter.

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
casmit

Ty. I actually went to Comcast office today and asked if they had any Moca friendly amps and they said they don't usually carry them and would have to call a tech. However someone turned in the blue one you are talking about and you can just have it. I swapped it out and it work perfectly. Oh happy day.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Ty. I actually went to Comcast office today and asked if they had any Moca friendly amps and they said they don't usually carry them and would have to call a tech. However someone turned in the blue one you are talking about and you can just have it. I swapped it out and it work perfectly. Oh happy day.
Comcast gave something away?

j/k Glad you solved the problem, and let us know.... hate to be left wondering!

-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #12
fcfc2

Quote:
Hi,
Glad you have your MoCA setup working for free, but that model you have does not have a builtin MoCA filter like the one Big Jim suggested. You might already have a filter at your the tap but if you are not sure, either ask Comcast for one if you are feeling lucky or order one off Ebay, sometimes you can order a small quantity for about $10. Your current cable modem has a builtin MoCA filter but another make / model may not and will need one installed on the input. MoCA POE and Whole Home DVR filters are functionally the same, and some come with rubber weather boots but will also work fine indoors. Here is a lifetime supply for $10, http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pieces-MoC...QAAOSwm8VUu-u1

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: