TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
CCourtney

POE Filter install issue

I installed the POE filter inline with the main incoming line right at the bidirectional amplifier (on input line.) It's in my electrical closet, but there's no splitter before this.

When I did this, both my TiVo Roamio and my X1 box lost connections. My TiVo Mini still communicated to my Roamio and I was able to play recorded show (as expected since the POE filter is outside of the loop.)

Any know issues w/ POE Filters on Comcast systems or with Bidirectional Amps? Or do I potentially have a dead POE Filter. In my old job, I'd just take it to work and hook it up to a Signal Generator and Spectrum Analyzer but I don't have the luxury in my new job

- Roamio Plus (3TB) 5/13/15
- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
CCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCourtney View Post
I installed the POE filter inline with the main incoming line right at the bidirectional amplifier (on input line.) It's in my electrical closet, but there's no splitter before this.

When I did this, both my TiVo Roamio and my X1 box lost connections. My TiVo Mini still communicated to my Roamio and I was able to play recorded show (as expected since the POE filter is outside of the loop.)

Any know issues w/ POE Filters on Comcast systems or with Bidirectional Amps? Or do I potentially have a dead POE Filter. In my old job, I'd just take it to work and hook it up to a Signal Generator and Spectrum Analyzer but I don't have the luxury in my new job
Try putting the filter on the output of the amp.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #3
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Try putting the filter on the output of the amp.
It's an 8 port amp, so that wouldn't be effective for POE except to isolate a single line.

- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #4
convergent

Quote:
It's an 8 port amp, so that wouldn't be effective for POE except to isolate a single line.
Sounds like there may be another splitter before the amp that you aren't aware of. Can you go to where the line comes out of the ground (the box outside in my case) and insert it there. Its only purpose is to create a wall to the outside world so if its in the right place doesn't seem that it would block MoCA from flowing around your internal network.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #5
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Sounds like there may be another splitter before the amp that you aren't aware of. Can you go to where the line comes out of the ground (the box outside in my case) and insert it there. Its only purpose is to create a wall to the outside world so if its in the right place doesn't seem that it would block MoCA from flowing around your internal network.
There is an external point of entry, but no splitter, just a coupler. I could technically move the filter there, but I didn't see the point. (i.e. The difference is one end versus the other end of about a 30-40' coax run)

Note that my cable modem line is coming from one of the 8 ports of the bidirectional amplifier.

- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #6
fcfc2

Quote:
There is an external point of entry, but no splitter, just a coupler. I could technically move the filter there, but I didn't see the point. (i.e. The difference is one end versus the other end of about a 30-40' coax run)

Note that my cable modem line is coming from one of the 8 ports of the bidirectional amplifier.
What is the make and model number of the amp? Where did you get the MoCA filter?
EDIT: Were you using the xfinity system with Whole Home DVR service? Are you using one of Comcast's modems/gateway's? If you were there may already be a MoCA filter at the tap.

Last edited by fcfc2; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.
fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM   #7
convergent

Quote:

I would try putting it on that coupler. That is where i put mine. It should be impossible for it to interfere with anything downstream in the house. But of course crazy things happen.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #8
snerd

Quote:
It is better to leave the PoE filter inside the house, at the input of the first splitter. The reason is that MoCA signals coming up from a MoCA transmitter will reflect off the MoCA filter and go back down through coax and splitters to reach all of the other MoCA devices. The net effect is that the MoCA signals will be stronger if they don't have to pass both ways through that extra 30-40' of coax.

Having the PoE filter indoors will also eliminate failure due to exposure to outdoor weather.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote