TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Lrscpa

"HDMI not permitted" banner on device that's using Mini's A/V miniplug Output

I use a Mini hooked up to large TV via HDMI, and also hardwired to small bedside portable DVD player via the Mini's A/V composite output. About 50% of the time when watching on portable DVD player only, I will get the "HDMI not Permitted" Banner. I can stop this banner by turning on large TV for approx 30 seconds simultaneously with the DVD player, then turning off large TV, which clears the banner on the DVD player. I watch this small DVD player when wife is sleeping, so turning on large TV sort of defeats the purpose.

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Bigg

Aside from that being a really bizarre use case, it's an interesting phenomenon. My guess is it's not meant for simultaneous output, but that still doesn't really explain why it's doing it.

My Premiere XL4 gives the "HDMI Connection Not Permitted" message occasionally through HDMI, but it either quickly clears, or hitting Live TV and going back to TiVo Central will clear it. I just chalk it up to the complexity of my setup, which has the TiVo outputting to video processor, which then outputs video to my TV, and audio to my AVR, all via HDMI.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is common. When a show is flagged as "copy once" it also requires an HDCP connection if one is available. When you're TV is off it still communicates with the TiVo over HDMI and tells it that HDCP is available but not currently active. This causes the TiVo to display the message you're seeing. Turning the TV on establishes the HDCP connection and allows the show to play.

The easiest way to fix this is to buy a cheap HDMI switchbox, connect it between the TiVo and the TV, and the click it over to one of the other inputs when you're watching via the portable DVD player. That will break the HDMI connection and make it so the TiVo isn't aware that HDCP is even possible.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This is common. When a show is flagged as "copy once" it also requires an HDCP connection if one is available. When you're TV is off it still communicates with the TiVo over HDMI and tells it that HDCP is available but not currently active. This causes the TiVo to display the message you're seeing. Turning the TV on establishes the HDCP connection and allows the show to play.

The easiest way to fix this is to buy a cheap HDMI switchbox, connect it between the TiVo and the TV, and the click it over to one of the other inputs when you're watching via the portable DVD player. That will break the HDMI connection and make it so the TiVo isn't aware that HDCP is even possible.
So it's HBO that causes the weirdness? It's the only channel copy flagged on Comcast [that I subscribe to]. I should pay more attention to see if HBO content is involved when this happens...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote