TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
bicker
Gruff

Mini doesn't think Roamio Plus is valid choice

I'm working my way through the setup of my new Mini and I reached the page where I have to choose which DVR it will be connected to. Both my S3 and my Roamio Plus are showing up with Slashed Red Circles, and the setup won't let me go further. I have gone back to the Roamio and connected to the TiVo service. Is there anything I can do to resolve this myself or is this something TiVo has to fix?

Series 3-648 (Vito) (semi-retired)
Roamio -848 (Monty)
Mini -A93 (Mimi)
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I'm working my way through the setup of my new Mini and I reached the page where I have to choose which DVR it will be connected to. Both my S3 and my Roamio Plus are showing up with Slashed Red Circles, and the setup won't let me go further. I have gone back to the Roamio and connected to the TiVo service. Is there anything I can do to resolve this myself or is this something TiVo has to fix?
Easy to do: check your account at TiVo.com and check that your Mini is there. Next, wait until tomorrow. Sometimes it takes a day for TiVo to get their computers to link a new Mini. If it's still bad I would call then. However, if you bought it from TiVo it should work out of the box.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
fcfc2

Quote:
Hi,
Does the new mini show up correctly in your Tivo account?

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
bicker
Gruff

I'm hoping that rebooting the Mini by unplugging it is okay, because there is no other way off that one screen.

Roamio -848 (Monty)
Mini -A93 (Mimi)
Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
I'm hoping that rebooting the Mini by unplugging it is okay, because there is no other way off that one screen.
Cycling the power was the only way I could get my Mini (V1) to reconnect to TiVo's servers and find out that it had finally been properly activated. They need to rewrite the setup code to cause the unit to keep checking periodically, or maybe at least allow us to do a programmed restart without cycling the power. And it's hard to imagine how Mini activation can take so long. We can send an email around the world in a matter of seconds, but it can take more that 24 hours for TiVo to activate a Mini. Surely an automated process couldn't take that long, so I suspect that a person has to make some trivial change to the account manually.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
bicker
Gruff

Okay the Mini is connected to the Roamio now. Whew!

On to the next problem...

Roamio -848 (Monty)
Mini -A93 (Mimi)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
tivowiz

I just setup a Mini over the weekend, had the same thing happen. I called Tivo Support, after 20 minutes they got on the line and told me to wait 72 hours, then power off everything - my Roamio, my other Mini and the new one and that was the fix. I said, why don't I try recycling power on the Mini and he said, that wont do anything.
After getting off the line with the support guy who was just trying to get his time to resolve callins, I cycled power no the Mini and voila - I could select the Roamio just fine. Nice Tivo Support!!!

tivowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
samccfl99
SamCCFL99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivowiz View Post
I just setup a Mini over the weekend, had the same thing happen. I called Tivo Support, after 20 minutes they got on the line and told me to wait 72 hours, then power off everything - my Roamio, my other Mini and the new one and that was the fix. I said, why don't I try recycling power on the Mini and he said, that wont do anything.
After getting off the line with the support guy who was just trying to get his time to resolve callins, I cycled power no the Mini and voila - I could select the Roamio just fine. Nice Tivo Support!!!
Yes, their support sometimes is atrocious. The instructions that come with the MINI suck and it does not even reference sound at all. I got my Mini and it activated right away, booted up and then it updated to 20.5.2 and then it still said it could not connect to my Roamio Pro. So when what was recording finished, I rebooted the RP and then the Mini and Voila, it worked. No need to call those tech people. Also I had to wait extra time because do they expect people to have those special cables for Y-R-W or useless component cables with the small jack going into the Mini? They should be in the box, but at least when I called they sent them out for free. I did investigate this before I bought it WITH THEM. OH TIVO SUPPORT AND DESIGN DEPARTMENT.

PS, where is the optical audio jack (yes i found out there is a converter box out there for $40 where you can plug the HDMI in and it has an HDMI out for the TV and optical audio out to the A/V)??? This is a bedroom unit with an older non-HDMI A/V receiver, which is now using COMPOSITE cables for audio, thankfully I only have 3 speakers in there so it don't make too much difference... LETS NOT EVEN TALK ABOUT THE CRAZY TIMEOUT/NO ACTIVITY FUNCTION WHICH HAS NO OPTION TO TURN IT OFF OR THAT IF YOU ARE WATCHING A RECORDING AND IT IS FINISHED IT DOES NOT GO BACK TO THE TUNER AND JUST GOES TO TIVO CENTRAL!!! WE PAY FOR THESE BOXES, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY TIVO NEVER DOES ANYTHING COMPLETELY RIGHT...OR CLOSE TO IT!!!

Oh, I must say that it is amazing with the MOCA setup and the only reason I finally bought one for the bedroom was because they got rid of that extra monthly charge...Thank you TiVo!

Last edited by samccfl99; 08-31-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: A GOOD WORD
samccfl99 is offline   Reply With Quote