TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
2004raptor
time to emancipate

Does ther mini come with a breakout cable?

Trying to connect my mini with a soundbar. I found (I don't think it's a tivo brand) cable that has the mini jack on one end and red/with composite on the other. I assumed they're all the same but I just get loud screeching when I connect them.
I can't remember if my mini came with the cable and if it did, there's no telling where it is now.

So:
1) Does it matter?
2) Where can I get one super cheap?

2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
eric102

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Trying to connect my mini with a soundbar. I found (I don't think it's a tivo brand) cable that has the mini jack on one end and red/with composite on the other. I assumed they're all the same but I just get loud screeching when I connect them.
I can't remember if my mini came with the cable and if it did, there's no telling where it is now.

So:
1) Does it matter?
Minis didn't come with the breakout cable.

eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Please define "super cheap".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TiVo-AV-...UAAOSwl-FXNMJP

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Mini-3f...sAAOxymmJTkLm-

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
mdavej

Since you don't need the component cables, you can get just a composite/L/R cable super cheap on ebay, probably around $2, any one with the same 3 rings and geometry as pictured above. Your current one may work if you swap the RCA plugs. If the spacing isn't right between the rings, you'll get video bleeding into the audio, hence the screeching. So unplugging slightly or plugging in deeper my also fix it.

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
2004raptor
time to emancipate

Thanks all. The one I have now is like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-1-8-Ja...RohNQiavMkS_-w

So, it only has two bands around the tip. I would have thought that's fine but I'm guessing the inside of the port is the issue???

2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
mdavej

Quote:
Thanks all. The one I have now is like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-1-8-Ja...RohNQiavMkS_-w

So, it only has two bands around the tip. I would have thought that's fine but I'm guessing the inside of the port is the issue???
Most definitely the wrong cable. You are shorting the audio and video. The third band separates them. The screeching you hear is the video signal on the audio line. I'm surprised you haven't permanently damaged your Tivo.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-20-2016 at 04:11 PM.
mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
samsauce29

Quote:

So:
1) Does it matter?
I have a new in package breakout cable that I bought from Weaknees. Three rings on the Mini end and yellow, red, white on the other. Just found today during some cleanup.

If this is what you need, pm me your address and I'll send it your way.

samsauce29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #8
lightsRon

I have used a cable that is just like that without problems

lightsRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Most definitely the wrong cable. You are shorting the audio and video. The third band separates them. The screeching you hear is the video signal on the audio line. I'm surprised you haven't permanently damaged your Tivo.
Yeah, the 3.5mm jacks are TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) for the composite video adapter with the Tip being Video (goes to Yellow RCA), Ring (Left Audio), Ring (Right Audio), Sleeve (Ground)

While a 3.5mm to RCA Audio cable which he's using is a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) with the Tip being Left Audio, Ring (Right Audio), and Sleeve (Ground)

So the Mini's Video is connecting to the Left Audio RCA plug, the Mini's Left Audio is connecting the Right Audio RCA Plug, and the Tivo Mini's Right Audio is being shorted to Ground as the 2nd ring is now on the sleeve which is also connected to ground.

- Roamio Plus (3TB) 5/13/15
- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
CCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

I've made the exact same error as the OP trying a cable I had hanging around and the sound is horrific. Get the right cable with the video signal and just ignore the video out. It was about $2 on Amazon.