TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
johnfasc

Connection with Mini

So I have my Roamio connected with cable, and an ethernet connection to my router. I would like to put a tv in the garage for the summer and use a mini to watch tv out there. It is across a room and through a couple walls. Does it pick up the Roamio wirelessly or do I have to connect the mini to the roamio with another cable? I am looking for the EASY button.

johnfasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfasc View Post
So I have my Roamio connected with cable, and an ethernet connection to my router. I would like to put a tv in the garage for the summer and use a mini to watch tv out there. It is across a room and through a couple walls. Does it pick up the Roamio wirelessly or do I have to connect the mini to the roamio with another cable? I am looking for the EASY button.
No easy button for you today. Most will suggest running coax and going with MoCA. The next idea would be power line adapters. The Mini has no built-in WiFi, nor will it accept a USB adapter. Is your router a newer model with a long range? Is money more important than easy?

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
johnfasc

Router is long range...power line adapters do what? And how/what are they? I take that back...I did try a power line adapter (pair) but got so so results so gave up on them. But would like the easiest way.

Last edited by johnfasc; 04-13-2015 at 09:55 PM.
johnfasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Router is long range...power line adapters do what? And how/what are they? I take that back...I did try a power line adapter (pair) but got so so results so gave up on them. But would like the easiest way.
Well, you could try a wired to wireless adapter. My Roamio is on one, the ASUS EA-N66R, but that device has doubled in price lately. The Mini is using an old TiVo AN0100 that I had on my Premiere. The Mini is only 50 feet from the router, a Netgear R7500, and there are two plaster walls inbetween. I don't think the TiVo adapter is so good. It is 5GHz, but never sold as "range extender", like other devices. I do feel the router, ugly as it is, is more important. The ASUS is better than the Linksys or Netgear EX6200. We're still talking money here. My Roamio is on the second floor, router on the first. I also have a Blue-ray, AVR, TV and two computers all on WiFi. And a 2.4GHz printer. There are little or no diagnostics to help with this, which may be why TiVo doesn't support the Mini on WiFi. I set things up this way since I don't like wires and it's not my house. The power is poor, with frequent spikes to 160v and everything is on a UPS. I use security and there are 5 or 6 WiFi telephones visible on a scan. Amazing since I'm pretty rural. Both of my computers use external Realtek USB WiFi 802.11ac adapters. Any questions?

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Peter G

Johnfasc:

Mini needs a wired ethernet connection to your router. You'll either need to run an ethernet cable or a coax cable to the garage. Coax option will need a MoCA adpater unless you have Roamio with MoCA built in. The Mini has MoCA capability so you only need one adpater near the router to create the MoCA network. If this is not an option then you can try the powerline adapters; they would be my 3rd choice.

If it is just for the summer maybe run a temporary cable out a window and into garage? I was in a apartment for few months and just ran a long ethernet cable around edge of room and down the hall from the living room router to bedroom mini. Worked fine for 3 months and even my Wife tolerated it.

Peter G

Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
Marty1781

Quote:
Running ethernet or coax to the Mini is the preferred way. Powerline adapters are another option. If none of those work, you can try connecting the Mini using a wireless bridge. Keep in mind using wireless with the Mini can be a highly variable experience. In order to get the best results, you will obviously need a strong, quality wireless signal where the Mini is located. Wireless range extenders and/or repeaters may help if your router on its own isn't enough.

Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote