TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #1
TazExprez

I am considering a TiVo Roamio Plus and 6 TiVo Mini boxes and 7 Roku 3 boxes.

I am currently using Verizon FiOS and have the Quantum TV Premium package. I have 2 VMS1100 DVR boxes and 5 IPC1100 client boxes. I currently pay $85.00 per month.

I was originally considering getting 2 Roamio Plus boxes and 5 TiVo Mini boxes, with lifetime subscriptions, along with 7 Roku 3 boxes for VOD. I think that this option is too expensive up front. I recently learned that you can connect up to 8 Tivo Mini boxes to a single Roamio Plus box with dynamic tuner allocation. This system is different from Verizon's, since Verizon requires 1 VMS1100 box for every 4 IPC1100 client boxes. We don't use all all 7 TVs (actually 8, but 2 are hooked up to a single box) at the same time, so this could probably work for us.

Could you watch 6 different live shows on 6 TiVo Mini boxes, while not watching anything on the Roamio Plus box, or does the Roamio Plus box always keep 1 or 2 tuners for itself, at all times? The Verizon VMS1100 always keeps 2 tuners for itself. Can you watch the same live show on the Roamio Plus box and the 6 TiVo Mini boxes at the same time? Could you stream recorded content to all 6 TiVo Mini boxes while watching something live on the Roamio Plus box? Can every single box watch the same recording at the same time? Is there any lag on the TiVo Mini boxes?

Thanks a lot for your time.
TazExprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post
Could you watch 6 different live shows on 6 TiVo Mini boxes, while not watching anything on the Roamio Plus box, or does the Roamio Plus box always keep 1 or 2 tuners for itself, at all times? The Verizon VMS1100 always keeps 2 tuners for itself. Can you watch the same live show on the Roamio Plus box and the 6 TiVo Mini boxes at the same time? Could you stream recorded content to all 6 TiVo Mini boxes while watching something live on the Roamio Plus box? Can every single box watch the same recording at the same time? Is there any lag on the TiVo Mini boxes?
1. No, the Roamio will always reserve one tuner for watching live-tv on itself.
2. Not live per se, but what you do is hit record on the live show (starting a recording on the Roamio), and have all Minis start watching the recording.
3. All Minis can have streamed recorded content to them, possibly the same show, while watching live-tv on the Roamio (and as I said, that recorded content can be the live show on the Roamio)
4. Basically no lag other than normal delay when changing live-tv channels, though if you're talking about synchronizing audio across Roamio and Mini (if you're in a room that can hear both), you'll have difficulties.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

The Tivo/Minis can do what you asked (up to 5 simultaneous tuners used by Minis). But Crispy's method of streaming an in-progress recording instead of watching live TV all around the house is a smart way to save tuners, if you need to "budget" them.

If you choose to switch rooms it'll remember the last paused location.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:31 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

The OP mentioned using the Roku 3 boxes for VOD. Does FiOS now have VOD access on the Roku 3?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:57 PM   #5
Bigg

The OP may have been referring to other sources of VOD, not necessarily Verizon...

That should work, although with TiVo, you can always scale up with another Roamio if need be...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote