TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Sanjoseguy

I love my mini!

I bought a mini three weeks ago in the hopes I could get it to work over MOCA with my Premiere. My expectations were exceeded!

Aside from a 3-second delay when you first start a show, it's EXACTLY the same as my downstairs Tivo in all respects and functions. In fact, it's superior in menu loading and overall navigation.

If you've been on the fence over getting one, do it. No regrets!
Sanjoseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Pacomartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjoseguy View Post
My expectations were exceeded!
IMHO future potential is very high for the mini. Monitoring internal and external surveillance cameras, video phone, playing uniform music throughout the house for a party, diagnostics on home heating, electric, water.

I think TV is just the beginning so that there is an installed base to develop more applications.

You don't really need a network of computers throughout your house, you just need a cheap video screen and a $150 device to monitor the central inputs. You could sit in a bubble bath and catch up on a TV show, and at the same time see if the ring at the front door is important or if you should call the police.
Pacomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post
IMHO future potential is very high for the mini. Monitoring internal and external surveillance cameras, video phone, playing uniform music throughout the house for a party, diagnostics on home heating, electric, water.
I think that eventually the Mini will go away. The industry is moving toward using DLNA CVP-2 instead of dedicated streaming boxes for secondary rooms. DLNA CVP-2 allows a host device, like a TiVo, to stream content (even protected) to any certified DLNA CVP-2 receiver. It also allows the host to present a complete UI to that device via HTML5. So basically any TV, BD player, game console, etc... with DLNA CVP-2 support built in will be capable of acting like a Mini.

Those other devices (cameras, music players, etc...) will also add DLNA support and you'll be able to access them from the same TV, BD player or game console. No need for TiVo to add support for that kind of stuff on it's own.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
just4fn44

I would say if Tivo allows it. They don't even support DLNA now.
just4fn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

This would make the TiVo a DLNA host, not a receiver. There is a law in place that requires all MSO rented equipment to output a standard IP signal soon. (end of next year?) Since TiVo is an MSO equipment supplier for several smaller MSOs they are going to have to add this ability for those MSOs to meet the requirements of the law.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote