TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #61
danterner
Not it!

This was the first episode in quite a while that sparked a "wha? It's already almost over?" reaction from me. It was also the first in a while where I didn't find myself using my iPhone while watching; it got my full attention throughout.

I will say that I have given up on watching The Talking Dead. I haven't seen any of them since the show returned. 30 minutes of it was just about right for me. They're all an hour now, and an hour show talking about an hour show is just too much for me.

Also, the practical effects in this series are normally VERY well done, but it seems like lately there have been a number of real stinkers, with obvious rubbery heads etc. Hopefully that's not a trend, and hopefully we get more episodes like this one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #62
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post
Simpsons fan?
Yup, you can't say
Spoiler:
The Shining
without getting sued!!!

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #63
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Both times they passed that guy, I thought "Man, Rick is a dick." ....
Why Rick? Michonne was at the wheel when they passed him...I realize he is the de facto leader, but, lately, even that's been up in the air.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #64
ihatecable
Crazy Collies

Quote:
Both times they passed that guy, I thought "Man, Rick is a dick." You would think they'd have learned to stop turning potential allies away by now.Carl is cool.
Not really, two out of the four prisoners tried to kill Rick and the group. Also last season there was the bar scene with Hershal and Glenn where Rick had to get them out of. It seems more often than not outsiders bring trouble. Besides the guy could have been a decoy tor a ploy to slow them down
ihatecable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #65
danterner
Not it!

Even assuming the backpacker is a good guy, which is a dangerous assumption to make, at best he still represents another mouth to feed and another potential source of zombie-attracting noise. Passing him by is a hard choice (and probably not the one I'd personally make) but its probably the right one from a survivalist standpoint. Too risky to stop and help him.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #66
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, nobody's saying he's not justified in being a dick. It's just interesting that he's gotten to the point where he no longer seems to consider the possibility that any other human being could be a good, contributing member of his little (and shrinking) society.

Clearly that cannot continue. These people aren't at a point where they're thinking about the future, but at some point they will have to, and either come up with a way to move forward (and grow), or just lie down and die. The alternative is to lie down and die without realizing that's what they're doing.

Another thing that bothers me a little about this show is that these people have very little to do. It is inevitable that they would spend a fair amount of time talking about their situation, but there's no sign that they've done this beyond the very little we've seen on-screen. It's another case of a TV trope (in this case, if it doesn't happen on-screen it doesn't happen, and the characters largely remain in stasis until the next scene) being taken to extremes.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #67
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Even assuming the backpacker is a good guy, which is a dangerous assumption to make, at best he still represents another mouth to feed and another potential source of zombie-attracting noise. Passing him by is a hard choice (and probably not the one I'd personally make) but its probably the right one from a survivalist standpoint. Too risky to stop and help him.
Pick him up and make him Woodbury war fodder

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #68
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

For me it wasn't that they didn't stop to pick the guy up.
It was that they didn't even look at one another to see if everyone felt the same way- whether to validate their feelings or assuage any guilt. I think Carl looked around a bit but the two adults were both intentionally non-responsive.
It was quite powerful to just see each of them alone with their own thoughts at that particular moment.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #69
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Do you think they would have picked up the hitch hiker on the way back?

At some point you are going to need more people....and somebody who has survived this long, by themselves, is probably a pretty good asset to have.
As others have said, how good of an asset can he be if he's running down a road shouting at the top of his lungs? If he doesn't know by this point that sound attracts the walkers, then his survival is pure luck and he would be a liability for the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I think they should have picked up backpack dude only if he agreed to be bound until interrogated at the prison.
On the way there, they weren't really in a position to take a prisoner and keep their eyes on him. On the way back, they didn't have a chance.

Quote:
It was kinda funny watching two British guys playing American roles in the same scene. Do they switch the American accents off between scenes? Lenny James' accent seemed different from what I remember (barely) from Jericho and Human Target.
Seems like I've heard or read that Andrew Lincoln sticks with the American accent from the time they start shooting the first episode of a season until the season is over. Helps him keep it consistent and helps him stay in character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I will say that I have given up on watching The Talking Dead. I haven't seen any of them since the show returned. 30 minutes of it was just about right for me. They're all an hour now, and an hour show talking about an hour show is just too much for me.
My thoughts exactly. I always hated that Talking Dead ended so quickly when I watched last season and thought the extra 30 minutes would be great, but this season I've yet to watch more than about 10 minutes of an episode, because I just can't justify another full hour when I have so many other shows to catch up on. 30 minutes made it easy to just sneak the episode in, while 60 minutes means it requires a real commitment and takes the place of me watching something else.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #70
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
As others have said, how good of an asset can he be if he's running down a road shouting at the top of his lungs? If he doesn't know by this point that sound attracts the walkers, then his survival is pure luck and he would be a liability for the group.
What's he supposed to do when possible salvation zooms by, ask for help in sign language? It's a natural reaction to yell after the car in that situation. For all they knew, he could have been one zombie killin' mf'er. Or a wizard.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #71
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

TD was actually great this week. They went behind the scenes of Morgan's Zombie Obstacle Course, and it was way more detailed than we saw from the show.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #72
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Then again, if he's in a car driving away it doesn't matter how many walkers are chasing him...

Sucks for him that the first car he sees in a year is full of dicks!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #73
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
What's he supposed to do when possible salvation zooms by, ask for help in sign language? It's a natural reaction to yell after the car in that situation. For all they knew, he could have been one zombie killin' mf'er. Or a wizard.
Yelling when they first drove by is one thing, but when he was 300 yards away running down the road and still yelling at them, that made me realize they made the right decision by not picking him up.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #74
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post

Why don't they all have swords at this point? That has to be the best zombie defense weapon of them all.
How many swords were lying around when the Apocalypse happened? I don't know anyone who has a real sword.

Crazy or not, you have to give Morgan credit for surviving as well as he has. How far from the prison were they? Maybe they should all just pack up and move in with Morgan. The Governor would never find them if they're 5 hours away.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #75
Shaunnick

As it happens, I recently came into posseion of one. Tucked it under my bed.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #76
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Crazy or not, you have to give Morgan credit for surviving as well as he has.
Same thing for the guy on the road. Realistically, anybody who is still alive has mad survival skillz...he obviously spent at least part of the last year between Rick's hometown and the prison, most of which has proven to be pure living hell.

Of course, in the context of the show he's probably not somebody who has managed to survive pure living zombie hell for a year, he's just some guy on the road who allows the writers to make a point about Rick...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #77
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
How many swords were lying around when the Apocalypse happened? I don't know anyone who has a real sword.
I have two.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #78
pmyers

Quote:
...My thoughts exactly. I always hated that Talking Dead ended so quickly when I watched last season and thought the extra 30 minutes would be great, but this season I've yet to watch more than about 10 minutes of an episode, because I just can't justify another full hour when I have so many other shows to catch up on. 30 minutes made it easy to just sneak the episode in, while 60 minutes means it requires a real commitment and takes the place of me watching something else.
not to mention that the show is basically useless unless they have somebody from the show, actually on Talking Dead.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #79
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Realistically, anybody who is still alive has mad survival skillz...
Or he spent months in a bomb shelter and left when he ran out of food or water...
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #80
pmyers

Quote:
Yelling when they first drove by is one thing, but when he was 300 yards away running down the road and still yelling at them, that made me realize they made the right decision by not picking him up.
I disagree. The pure fact that he is alone and still alive proves he has skills. I'd say despiration and the fact that was probably the first moving car he's seen in a year, probably made him react the way he did.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #81
robojerk

RE: the guy on the road.

We don't know anything about him, he could be a wizard like someone suggested, or just some lucky guy. Perhaps he decided to not fight the zombies anymore because Rick and co. left him stranded. Living alone in a world like that would take it's toll. Maybe he figured he'd rather die then spend another day alone.

Rick from season 1 or 2 would have at least given him a fair shake. What they did to that him was only better than what someone like the governor would have done to that guy.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #82
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
not to mention that the show is basically useless unless they have somebody from the show, actually on Talking Dead.
Then your saying this forum is useless. It's really a place for us to share the experience and reaction to the show. Talking dead just does it a little more.

I think some of the guests who can actually say their feelings because they are not contracted to secrecy are pretty insightful. They have a lot of behind the scenes bits. DVR and play the stuff you like.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #83
voripteth
User Advocate

With all the weapons at Morgans place why didn't the pack the car full of them? I can't imagine they are all that common so stock up while you have the chance!

I hope they took some grenades...
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #84
voripteth
User Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Hmmm...Well, that pretty firmly illustrates that Judith couldn't be Rick's kid.
According to the timeline both Shane and Rick had sex with Lori on Day 61. If that was the first time between Shane/Lori then we still don't know who is the daddy.

Then again hopefully they have bigger things to worry about during the apocalypse.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #85
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
With all the weapons at Morgans place why didn't the pack the car full of them? I can't imagine they are all that common so stock up while you have the chance!

Ya - I asked SO this question about 40 times as soon as I saw what they were leaving with.

A duffle bag? The dude could have armed a small city with the stuff in that apartment and they left with a duffle bag?

Maybe they just didn't show all of it?
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #86
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Rick wasn't going to leave Morgan with nothing to defend himself. I got the sense they took at least half of the stuff, and left Morgan what he would need.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #87
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
um what?

i thought it was a great episode and it totally advanced the story in terms of Rick's crazy, the relationship with Michonne, the relationship with Carl and how far they have fallen in the way they responded to the hitchhiker

honestly i was super happy to have a Woodbury free episode

one of my favorites of the season
I don't really care about Woodbury anymore either. Episodes like this one that focus on the characters development are much more interesting to me than shoot-outs and killing walker after walker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post

This. Said much better than I could.

I liked how Rick reacted when Carl shot the guy. He seemed to want Carl to know that it was different to shoot a normal person and not a walker and that he didn't want Carl to have to do it.
Yes, and we know Carl understood the difference when he apologized to Morgan, so he isn't completely gone. So sweet of him to get Judith the picture.

I wanted Rick to let Carl drive home.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #88
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
According to the timeline both Shane and Rick had sex with Lori on Day 61. If that was the first time between Shane/Lori then we still don't know who is the daddy.

Then again hopefully they have bigger things to worry about during the apocalypse.
Depends on how accurate that timeline is. If it's correct, and if Lori was past her due date when she had the baby, then it's not possible that Rick is the father.

Normal length of pregnancy - 40 weeks from start of last menstrual cycle = 280 days.
Conception is usually about two weeks after start of last menstrual cycle, meaning time from conception to due date is approximately 265 days.

If Lori was overdue and gave birth on day 311, that means she conceived sometime on or before day 46. According to the timeline, Rick didn't wake up from his coma until Day 60.

However, I have no idea how anyone could calculate an accurate timeline, since the period between the end of S2 and the beginning of S3 was not specified, but instead was simply all the winter months, and could have been +/- a month or two from what's listed in that timeline.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #89
ihatecable
Crazy Collies

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I have two.
Three here. BTW Betts like the new avatar
ihatecable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #90
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think they took more than just a duffel bag. Maybe it was just two or three bags, but I figured they were stowing stuff in the trunk. And no, Rick was not going to leave Morgan hanging out to dry with nothing.

I bet Daryl would have loved to have seen that zombie protection that Morgan set up.

edit:
Actually that's the one thing that could have made this episode better...having Daryl in it.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote