TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
jmenjes
Mouseketeer
 
jmenjes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 719
Whose Line Is It Anyway? returns in the summer

On the CW; Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie, and Ryan Stiles will return; Aisha Tyler will be the new host.

Having Whose Line back works for me.
__________________
3DS code: 4511-0768-4066
jmenjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,162
That's kind of a shame that they didn't get Drew. Maybe he couldn't do it because of Price is Right? (But that's only a couple days a month, right?)

I mean, I know it was a British original, but he made the U.S. version, and even did that GSN basically Whose Line show (which I saw a bunch of, but they rarely had guide data, so I finally stopped when I knew I was seeing reruns even though I think I haven't seen all of them.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,893
I was always more of a fan of the British original. I much preferred the more understated way that Clive Anderson hosted. I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time. (It also completely ruined the joke about the points by being so obvious about it. Typical American comedy, always has to go for the obvious instead of the subtle.)

I also would prefer if they would go back to having all four "contestants" on the panel rotate, instead of just the one guest panelist... especially since they're probably going to go for someone who is famous as that fourth person, rather than someone who is a proven improviser.

But, it'll be nice to have the show back, nonetheless.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's kind of a shame that they didn't get Drew. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
.... I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time.....
This...not a shame at all. I HATE Drew Carey and not just in Whose Line.... I won't miss him in the least. This is GREAT news....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet
 
TonyTheTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,093
As long as Colin, Ryan and, to a lesser extent, Wayne are signed up, it's a must-see for me as they are what make the show. A good host needs to be more in the background than Carey ever was.
__________________
"YOU! YES YOU! STAND STILL, LADDIE"
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's kind of a shame that they didn't get Drew. Maybe he couldn't do it because of Price is Right? (But that's only a couple days a month, right?)
According to the air date schedule at the CBS TPIR website, it looks like they tape two episodes a day, so it's quite a bit more than "a couple days a month".
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,377
Woohoo! Who's Line without Drew! I can hardly wait!
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.
 
scottjf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 22,036
Love this show, so glad it'll be back.


Whose Line Is It Anyway - Richard Simmons (Hilarious!)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

__________________
Check out my wife's amazing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottjf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
jradosh
Newlywed
 
jradosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Herndon, VA, USA
Posts: 17,154
Cary probably couldn't do it because of his competing Vegas improv show...

http://mirage.com/entertainment/drew-carey.aspx
__________________
____________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Woohoo! Who's Line without Drew! I can hardly wait!

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Cary probably couldn't do it because of his competing Vegas improv show...

http://mirage.com/entertainment/drew-carey.aspx
Although being part of both Drew's Vegas show and the new "Whose Line" doesn't seem to be an issue for Colin and Ryan...
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
According to the air date schedule at the CBS TPIR website, it looks like they tape two episodes a day, so it's quite a bit more than "a couple days a month".
Weird, didn't Barker tape a whole ton of shows at once, a couple days a month? Maybe it was 1 day a week. I mean, an hour show is really like 45 minutes most likely.. sure, they have to move around sets and such, but really, seems like a whole week in a workday, easy..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Cary probably couldn't do it because of his competing Vegas improv show...

http://mirage.com/entertainment/drew-carey.aspx
I vaguely referred to that -- but umm, the dates at that link are from last October!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet
 
TonyTheTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Weird, didn't Barker tape a whole ton of shows at once, a couple days a month? Maybe it was 1 day a week. I mean, an hour show is really like 45 minutes most likely.. sure, they have to move around sets and such, but really, seems like a whole week in a workday, easy..
You don't work in TV, obviously! An hour show, even something as simple as a game show, can take upwards of 2-3 hours to film. Not only do they have to get all the prizes in place, (which when moving cars and big furniture around, can take time!), but they have to retake reaction shots, etc. I'm sure something like Jeopardy would be quicker, but I'll bet each 30 minute show takes at least an hour.

I was visiting Granada Studios in the UK (think mini-Universal!) and we were asked if we wanted to watch a show being taped. It was a local sports quiz with four panelists and a quizmaster. The 30 minute show took most of an afternoon to film and we were upset because we lost that time in the park - and never got to see the show anyway!
__________________
"YOU! YES YOU! STAND STILL, LADDIE"
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood
 
Lee 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lazlo's Basement
Posts: 434
I used to work just up Fairfax from the studio where PiR films. There's a line of people out the door and around the block most days waiting to be selected for the audience, so they must shoot pretty regularly.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
You don't work in TV, obviously! An hour show, even something as simple as a game show, can take upwards of 2-3 hours to film. Not only do they have to get all the prizes in place, (which when moving cars and big furniture around, can take time!), but they have to retake reaction shots, etc. I'm sure something like Jeopardy would be quicker, but I'll bet each 30 minute show takes at least an hour.
Nope, "Jeopardy!" takes 30 minutes to shoot each 30-minute episode, unless there's an unexpected contestant response that the producers need to stop tape and look up, which still happens pretty quickly. The only "retakes" are that occasionally they have Alex re-read a clue, which they do during the commercial breaks. They shoot 5 in a day, 2 days a week, 2 or 3 weeks per month.

"The Price Is Right" used to take 60 minutes to shoot each 60-minute episode when Bob Barker was the host (although with, obviously, quite a bit of preparation before the taping started to get all the prizes and props ready backstage). Now that Drew's the host, they let it run a little longer and edit, but it still doesn't take too much longer than 60 minutes. I forget what the taping schedule is these days -- I think it's something like 2 episodes a day, 3 days a week.

More recent game shows, however, seem to have more of a "we'll fix it in post-production and make it perfect" mentality -- rather than the "we'll just go with it" mentality in which "Jeopardy!" and "TPIR" originated -- thus, taking hours and hours to produce a half-hour.
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Waldorf
Super Duper Member
 
Waldorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 996
I would like to see Joel McHale guest on this... There was another improv show several years ago called "Thank God You're Here" and I remember Joel was a pretty stand-out talent that seemed to have some improv experience. Trying to remember - I think Jane Lynch and Brian Posehn were pretty good also.
__________________
"Waldorf is a Super Duper Guy!" -wannaB

Last edited by Waldorf : 03-05-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,162
I thought that show was decent, but it flopped pretty quickly.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
Church AV Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: high desert California
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I was always more of a fan of the British original. I much preferred the more understated way that Clive Anderson hosted. I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time. (It also completely ruined the joke about the points by being so obvious about it. Typical American comedy, always has to go for the obvious instead of the subtle.)
I too am a greater fan of the British variant. I wish it were still on and available where I am, but alas, no. Not even the Drew version is on anymore. I am looking forward to the new show!
__________________
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
I would like to see Joel McHale guest on this... There was another improv show several years ago called "Thank God You're Here" and I remember Joel was a pretty stand-out talent that seemed to have some improv experience. Trying to remember - I think Jane Lynch and Brian Posehn were pretty good also.
I think Joel would be good as the host actually. But I imagine he's too busy with his E! duties and Community.

I don't mind Drew, so it never bothered me he hosted. It's much more about the actual improv than the host anyway. Wayne Brady is actually the one I don't like that much. There's just something about the guy that bugs me, and I don't think he's in the league with Colin and Ryan when it comes to improv.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Nope, "Jeopardy!" takes 30 minutes to shoot each 30-minute episode, unless there's an unexpected contestant response that the producers need to stop tape and look up, which still happens pretty quickly. The only "retakes" are that occasionally they have Alex re-read a clue, which they do during the commercial breaks. They shoot 5 in a day, 2 days a week, 2 or 3 weeks per month.

"The Price Is Right" used to take 60 minutes to shoot each 60-minute episode when Bob Barker was the host (although with, obviously, quite a bit of preparation before the taping started to get all the prizes and props ready backstage). Now that Drew's the host, they let it run a little longer and edit, but it still doesn't take too much longer than 60 minutes. I forget what the taping schedule is these days -- I think it's something like 2 episodes a day, 3 days a week.

More recent game shows, however, seem to have more of a "we'll fix it in post-production and make it perfect" mentality -- rather than the "we'll just go with it" mentality in which "Jeopardy!" and "TPIR" originated -- thus, taking hours and hours to produce a half-hour.
In the 70s I saw tapings of two different game shows in NYC, one NBC and one ABC and both tapings seemed to be "real time". One show was very heavy in offering prizes (Sale of the Century, with Joe Garagiola as host), so I'm sure there was some moving around of props and prizes. Maybe the British do it differently
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
jjd_87
Registered User
 
jjd_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 475
Heads up, Whose Line is back Tuesday @ 8PM on the CW.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Heads up, Whose Line is back Tuesday @ 8PM on the CW.
SP already set....
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #24
GoHalos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 4,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Heads up, Whose Line is back Tuesday @ 8PM on the CW.
Thanks! Recording set.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I was always more of a fan of the British original. I much preferred the more understated way that Clive Anderson hosted. I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time. (It also completely ruined the joke about the points by being so obvious about it. Typical American comedy, always has to go for the obvious instead of the subtle.)

I also would prefer if they would go back to having all four "contestants" on the panel rotate, instead of just the one guest panelist... especially since they're probably going to go for someone who is famous as that fourth person, rather than someone who is a proven improviser.

But, it'll be nice to have the show back, nonetheless.
+1
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,568
Tonight!
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Tonight!
YAY!
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,162
Apparently 2 new eps tonight, then one new one next week followed by a rerun of one of the ones from tonight... So total guess is that it's an hour time slot with one new one a week + rerun of previous week... but not likely enough to depend on that.. (Well, I have enough tuners & space nowadays, but I used to play games like that when rescheduling. For MTV, it sometimes worked and sometimes not.. since they'd preempt stuff often.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
kdmorse
Registered User
 
kdmorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 4,181
I was thoroughly amused.
__________________
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
"Stop slouching! It's two O'clock in the afternoon, PUT PANTS ON!"
"Statistically speaking, there are two Popes per square kilometer in Vatican City..."
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #30
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,377
Enjoyed the new host quite a bit more than Drew Carey. And liked that the game rotation didn't seem as rigid.

Loved Scenes from a Hat!
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |