TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
jmenjes
Mouseketeer

Whose Line Is It Anyway? returns in the summer

On the CW; Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie, and Ryan Stiles will return; Aisha Tyler will be the new host.

Having Whose Line back works for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
mattack

That's kind of a shame that they didn't get Drew. Maybe he couldn't do it because of Price is Right? (But that's only a couple days a month, right?)

I mean, I know it was a British original, but he made the U.S. version, and even did that GSN basically Whose Line show (which I saw a bunch of, but they rarely had guide data, so I finally stopped when I knew I was seeing reruns even though I think I haven't seen all of them.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I was always more of a fan of the British original. I much preferred the more understated way that Clive Anderson hosted. I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time. (It also completely ruined the joke about the points by being so obvious about it. Typical American comedy, always has to go for the obvious instead of the subtle.)

I also would prefer if they would go back to having all four "contestants" on the panel rotate, instead of just the one guest panelist... especially since they're probably going to go for someone who is famous as that fourth person, rather than someone who is a proven improviser.

But, it'll be nice to have the show back, nonetheless.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's kind of a shame that they didn't get Drew. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
.... I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time.....
This...not a shame at all. I HATE Drew Carey and not just in Whose Line.... I won't miss him in the least. This is GREAT news....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

As long as Colin, Ryan and, to a lesser extent, Wayne are signed up, it's a must-see for me as they are what make the show. A good host needs to be more in the background than Carey ever was.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
That's kind of a shame that they didn't get Drew. Maybe he couldn't do it because of Price is Right? (But that's only a couple days a month, right?)
According to the air date schedule at the CBS TPIR website, it looks like they tape two episodes a day, so it's quite a bit more than "a couple days a month".
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Ereth

Woohoo! Who's Line without Drew! I can hardly wait!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Love this show, so glad it'll be back.

Whose Line Is It Anyway - Richard Simmons (Hilarious!)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
jradosh
Newlywed

Cary probably couldn't do it because of his competing Vegas improv show...

http://mirage.com/entertainment/drew-carey.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Woohoo! Who's Line without Drew! I can hardly wait!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post

Although being part of both Drew's Vegas show and the new "Whose Line" doesn't seem to be an issue for Colin and Ryan...
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
According to the air date schedule at the CBS TPIR website, it looks like they tape two episodes a day, so it's quite a bit more than "a couple days a month".
Weird, didn't Barker tape a whole ton of shows at once, a couple days a month? Maybe it was 1 day a week. I mean, an hour show is really like 45 minutes most likely.. sure, they have to move around sets and such, but really, seems like a whole week in a workday, easy..
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post

I vaguely referred to that -- but umm, the dates at that link are from last October!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Weird, didn't Barker tape a whole ton of shows at once, a couple days a month? Maybe it was 1 day a week. I mean, an hour show is really like 45 minutes most likely.. sure, they have to move around sets and such, but really, seems like a whole week in a workday, easy..
You don't work in TV, obviously! An hour show, even something as simple as a game show, can take upwards of 2-3 hours to film. Not only do they have to get all the prizes in place, (which when moving cars and big furniture around, can take time!), but they have to retake reaction shots, etc. I'm sure something like Jeopardy would be quicker, but I'll bet each 30 minute show takes at least an hour.

I was visiting Granada Studios in the UK (think mini-Universal!) and we were asked if we wanted to watch a show being taped. It was a local sports quiz with four panelists and a quizmaster. The 30 minute show took most of an afternoon to film and we were upset because we lost that time in the park - and never got to see the show anyway!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

I used to work just up Fairfax from the studio where PiR films. There's a line of people out the door and around the block most days waiting to be selected for the audience, so they must shoot pretty regularly.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
You don't work in TV, obviously! An hour show, even something as simple as a game show, can take upwards of 2-3 hours to film. Not only do they have to get all the prizes in place, (which when moving cars and big furniture around, can take time!), but they have to retake reaction shots, etc. I'm sure something like Jeopardy would be quicker, but I'll bet each 30 minute show takes at least an hour.
Nope, "Jeopardy!" takes 30 minutes to shoot each 30-minute episode, unless there's an unexpected contestant response that the producers need to stop tape and look up, which still happens pretty quickly. The only "retakes" are that occasionally they have Alex re-read a clue, which they do during the commercial breaks. They shoot 5 in a day, 2 days a week, 2 or 3 weeks per month.

"The Price Is Right" used to take 60 minutes to shoot each 60-minute episode when Bob Barker was the host (although with, obviously, quite a bit of preparation before the taping started to get all the prizes and props ready backstage). Now that Drew's the host, they let it run a little longer and edit, but it still doesn't take too much longer than 60 minutes. I forget what the taping schedule is these days -- I think it's something like 2 episodes a day, 3 days a week.

More recent game shows, however, seem to have more of a "we'll fix it in post-production and make it perfect" mentality -- rather than the "we'll just go with it" mentality in which "Jeopardy!" and "TPIR" originated -- thus, taking hours and hours to produce a half-hour.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

I would like to see Joel McHale guest on this... There was another improv show several years ago called "Thank God You're Here" and I remember Joel was a pretty stand-out talent that seemed to have some improv experience. Trying to remember - I think Jane Lynch and Brian Posehn were pretty good also.

Last edited by Waldorf : 03-05-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
mattack

I thought that show was decent, but it flopped pretty quickly.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
Church AV Guy

Quote:
I was always more of a fan of the British original. I much preferred the more understated way that Clive Anderson hosted. I also didn't like the way that Drew would continually tell completely awful jokes about how "the points don't matter." It wasn't funny the first time, and it got continually less funny each subsequent time. (It also completely ruined the joke about the points by being so obvious about it. Typical American comedy, always has to go for the obvious instead of the subtle.)
I too am a greater fan of the British variant. I wish it were still on and available where I am, but alas, no. Not even the Drew version is on anymore. I am looking forward to the new show!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
I would like to see Joel McHale guest on this... There was another improv show several years ago called "Thank God You're Here" and I remember Joel was a pretty stand-out talent that seemed to have some improv experience. Trying to remember - I think Jane Lynch and Brian Posehn were pretty good also.
I think Joel would be good as the host actually. But I imagine he's too busy with his E! duties and Community.

I don't mind Drew, so it never bothered me he hosted. It's much more about the actual improv than the host anyway. Wayne Brady is actually the one I don't like that much. There's just something about the guy that bugs me, and I don't think he's in the league with Colin and Ryan when it comes to improv.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Nope, "Jeopardy!" takes 30 minutes to shoot each 30-minute episode, unless there's an unexpected contestant response that the producers need to stop tape and look up, which still happens pretty quickly. The only "retakes" are that occasionally they have Alex re-read a clue, which they do during the commercial breaks. They shoot 5 in a day, 2 days a week, 2 or 3 weeks per month.

"The Price Is Right" used to take 60 minutes to shoot each 60-minute episode when Bob Barker was the host (although with, obviously, quite a bit of preparation before the taping started to get all the prizes and props ready backstage). Now that Drew's the host, they let it run a little longer and edit, but it still doesn't take too much longer than 60 minutes. I forget what the taping schedule is these days -- I think it's something like 2 episodes a day, 3 days a week.

More recent game shows, however, seem to have more of a "we'll fix it in post-production and make it perfect" mentality -- rather than the "we'll just go with it" mentality in which "Jeopardy!" and "TPIR" originated -- thus, taking hours and hours to produce a half-hour.
In the 70s I saw tapings of two different game shows in NYC, one NBC and one ABC and both tapings seemed to be "real time". One show was very heavy in offering prizes (Sale of the Century, with Joe Garagiola as host), so I'm sure there was some moving around of props and prizes. Maybe the British do it differently
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
jjd_87

Heads up, Whose Line is back Tuesday @ 8PM on the CW.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
SP already set....

XL4
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #24
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Thanks! Recording set.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:

I also would prefer if they would go back to having all four "contestants" on the panel rotate, instead of just the one guest panelist... especially since they're probably going to go for someone who is famous as that fourth person, rather than someone who is a proven improviser.

But, it'll be nice to have the show back, nonetheless.
+1
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
mwhip
All better

Tonight!

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Tonight!
YAY!

XL4
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
mattack

Apparently 2 new eps tonight, then one new one next week followed by a rerun of one of the ones from tonight... So total guess is that it's an hour time slot with one new one a week + rerun of previous week... but not likely enough to depend on that.. (Well, I have enough tuners & space nowadays, but I used to play games like that when rescheduling. For MTV, it sometimes worked and sometimes not.. since they'd preempt stuff often.)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
kdmorse

I was thoroughly amused.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #30
Ereth

Enjoyed the new host quite a bit more than Drew Carey. And liked that the game rotation didn't seem as rigid.

Loved Scenes from a Hat!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote