TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
tgmii

Zero Hour Canceled!

http://www.13wham.com/entertainment/...z9OouwWfQ.cspx

They got me again. I figured this was pretty safe. LOST-ish, Anthony Edwards, you'd think after Top Gun, and ER, he'd be safe.

I was going to watch Red Widow, but I'm going to Tivo it and not even think of watching it until its renewed. I think if they keep this up, networks will be forced to do it Netflix-style and release an entire season. This is happening way too often

On the plus side The Americans was renewed.
tgmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Mikeyis4dcats

you thought it was safe? had you watched it?
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

The second episode was much less cheesy than the first one. Although still way too much of the weird touchy feely hipsters and their awkward dialogue.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
you thought it was safe? had you watched it?
Precisely!

I am not surprised at all. What surprises me are the decent ratings for "The Following", although it's got a great cast and major promotion by FOX.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Figures. It wasn't a great show, but I wanted to see where they were going with Einstein and the Nazi plot.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

That was fast. It looked kinda interesting in the previews, but I guess I'm glad I never bothered watched an ep.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
justen_m

I was interested in seeing where they were headed with the whole nazi/church conspiracy plot idea. I think it was poorly marketed. I set up a season pass, because I was curious, but before the first episode I had no idea what this show was going to be about. Perhaps the producers were hope Anthony Edwards would be a big enough attraction to draw an audience.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
tiams

I was so-so on it but then I watched the Einstein episode and started getting really interested in the plot. Now I want to know all the answers to all the questions dammnit.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
malayphred
Underpowered User

I think the producers decided they would never come up with a reasonable solution to the plot.

I mean, let's face it "bigger than God", "the end of the universe"??? How the hell were they going to come up with THAT scenario.

It was just too ambitious. And poorly written/developed.

MHO.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
malayphred
Underpowered User

Oh - and the greatest scientific minds at the world's premiere educational institution were incapable of figuring out Einstein last chalkboard entry.

Luckily there was a low level FBI agent there to decipher it.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

It's a conspiracy! Pope Benedict made a deal with the Rosecrucians that he'd resign in order to keep Church secrets from being exposed by Zero Hour!

The show was ridiculously silly but I expected it to last more than three episodes. Especially with the way it was hyped.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
danterner
Not it!

After watching the pilot, I sandbagged the other two episodes and waited to get a sense of whether it would survive. Guess I can delete them.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
DouglasPHill

Poor writing and it also had the BSG no plan feel to it. Good cast.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
I think the producers decided they would never come up with a reasonable solution to the plot.

I mean, let's face it "bigger than God", "the end of the universe"??? How the hell were they going to come up with THAT scenario.

It was just too ambitious. And poorly written/developed.

MHO.
According to Edwards, they had the end before they started and wrote the 13 episode arc to get to that exact point.

I'm hoping they'll make the entire arc available someplace. I'd like to see where it was going.
rosieambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm sure whatever they've shot will be aired at some point. They have nothing to lose by showing it when nobody's watching (e.g., summer).

The question is, have they shot it all yet?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They have nothing to lose by showing it when nobody's watching
That was apparently their strategy from the outset. ;-)

Kidding aside, I was interested enough by the pilot that I'm sad to hear that the network didn't give this more of a shot. It seems like networks are so quick with the axe these days, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - nobody tunes in until they hear that everyone has tuned in and that its likely to continue. Since nobody tunes in, it becomes unlikely to continue. A feedback loop develops.

I don't know if I'll bother watching 2 and 3 (probably not, unless a good number of other episodes were completed and do become available), but I'd be interested to at least read about how it would have played itself out.

I recall finding a site a while ago that collected "how it would have ended" descriptions for cancelled shows based on post-cancellation interviews with their writers, show-runners, and producers. It was discussed here, several years ago, I think. Anyone recall the name of the site, or know of anything similar?

ETA: I found what I was thinking about - a website called CliqueClack - the blogger did a post-cancellation interview with the writers of Reaper. He had done something similar with regard to Defying Gravity.

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2010/02/01...-the-creators/
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 03-04-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

This is the type of show that is right in my wheelhouse. But given the time slot and the poor reviews it got, I knew it wasn't going to last long. I decided not to watch and wait and see if the whole show ever became available.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
eddyj

Good thing I waited, now I can delete them. I did not have a good feeling about this show, even though I did not actually watch it.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmii View Post
I was going to watch Red Widow, but I'm going to Tivo it and not even think of watching it until its renewed.
Exactly what I'm doing. I was actually going to watch this last night (2 hours?), but decided I will wait and see the buzz, plus the ratings. Why waste time on a DOA show?

It's a toxic loop. They can't get the eyeballs to keep shows on the air, and we won't watch until we know the networks are committed to showing them. I'm not sure the Netflix model is the way to go, but at least commit to showing a minimum number of eps--9 or 11 or whatever the front end is.

I also read somewhere, just within the last week, that Zero Hour was written as a mini-series. I never saw this before now. If true, it should have been heavily promoted as such, and then they should commit to show the entire run. Again, unless a show is high on the buzz-o-meter, I will stack 'em until I know it's a winner. Maybe not so much for Fall pilots, but definitely for mid-season replacements.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This is the type of show that is right in my wheelhouse. But given the time slot and the poor reviews it got, I knew it wasn't going to last long. I decided not to watch and wait and see if the whole show ever became available.
Yep, me too. I actually recorded the first ep, but never watched. The timeslot was REALLY bad for me as I watch Community and Big Bang. Throw in a hockey game or two and it was next to impossible to commit to the show.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
SnakeVargas

I was excited for it and watched the premiere, but it just fell flat immediately. It didn't die to any single huge flaw, the problem was that every aspect of it was mediocre. The casting, the acting, the writing, none of it had that spark that grabbed my attention. It gave me the immediate feeling of a show that was destined to be soon canceled. I didn't even bother to Tivo the second or third episode.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

Yep, me too. I actually recorded the first ep, but never watched. The timeslot was REALLY bad for me as I watch Community and Big Bang. Throw in a hockey game or two and it was next to impossible to commit to the show.
I don't mean the time slot was crowded for me personally. I meant that the time slot is horrible for ABC. They've been trying to launch shows there for several years with no success. With BBT and Idol in that slot taking all the viewers, it's going to be nearly impossible for another show to succeed there. I knew Zero Hour would suffer because of that and figured it wouldn't last long.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It seems like networks are so quick with the axe these days, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - nobody tunes in until they hear that everyone has tuned in and that its likely to continue. Since nobody tunes in, it becomes unlikely to continue. A feedback loop develops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's a toxic loop. They can't get the eyeballs to keep shows on the air, and we won't watch until we know the networks are committed to showing them.
So wait - is it a feedback loop, or a toxic loop?

I like to keep my loops straight.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
danterner
Not it!

A toxic feedback loop.
| Twitter:
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Azlen

Outside of The Following, I don't think there is a new series that has launched this year (2013) that has received ratings greater than a 2.0. Both ABC and NBC have debuted shows to record low ratings. I would not want to be a network TV exec right now.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
cheesesteak
Meh.

I bet this show would still be on if it had vampires in it.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't mean the time slot was crowded for me personally. I meant that the time slot is horrible for ABC. They've been trying to launch shows there for several years with no success. With BBT and Idol in that slot taking all the viewers, it's going to be nearly impossible for another show to succeed there. I knew Zero Hour would suffer because of that and figured it wouldn't last long.
I said the same thing about The Last Resort early on. If they moved it, it might have succeeded. Then of course the show went off the rails and it might have failed anyway.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I guess I can delete episode 3 off my recorder. I enjoyed the first two episodes for what they were.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I also read somewhere, just within the last week, that Zero Hour was written as a mini-series.
The plot and all questions were supposed to be tied up at the end of the first season. They would start a new story with season 2.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I bet this show would still be on if it had vampires in it.
Maybe it does.

The lesson: Reveal your vampires in the pilot.