TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
ptruman

Discrete codes....

I've found a discrepancy - which I hope can be cured

The TiVo S1 has the option to manually put the box in standby, via the remote (in the same menu as resetting the box). The VM TiVo does not have this option.

With my Pronto remote (which cannot track state) I used to have a macro which used the keystrokes to put the S1 into standby, so even though it may turn it "on" via the "TiVo" key at the start of the sequence, the end of the sequence ensured it stayed off.

I have mapped my Pronto to have the VM TiVo power key available, but it's "on/off", not "on" or "off" specifically....i.e. a discrete code.

Can anyone shed light on if there is one? I don't want to go through codes one by one to try and see if it's there....
250GB TiVo Series 1
Rev 2.2 Cachecard + WLAN > Ethernet > Internet
TiVoWeb, EndPad, TyStudio (currently being fixed!)
ptruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
cwaring
VM Tivo User

I wouldn't have thought so as it's not designed like that. To be honest, I can't see any problem as the "long way" of putting the S1 into standby was completely superfluous anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
ptruman

Actually, if you use HDMI switching, with multiple devices to one TV (or surround) input, it's quite handy to ensure it's off... :P

Nearly all new devices (esp. anything vaguely expensive) have discrete codes....my (aged) surround system and my S1 were the only ones that didn't - and I could ensure no SCART stupidity/crosstalk by ensuring it was off.
250GB TiVo Series 1
Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Tony Hoyle
Geek

This may not work but Home switches it on, so you could send Home+Power would amount to off.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
ptruman

That is actually a blindingly obvious solution (which is what my old macro did, in a more roundabout way!)

This is what I get for long days @ work - thankyou muchly Mr Hoyle

<gets hat and coat>
250GB TiVo Series 1
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
andrewilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptruman View Post
That is actually a blindingly obvious solution (which is what my old macro did, in a more roundabout way!)
Sadly, they seem to have broken this on the latest Virgin UK firmware upgrade which we got yesterday. Now sending the 'TV' or 'Home' code and then shortly afterwards the 'Power' code does not work, as the new HDD power-up sequence now takes about 10 seconds, during which time the unit does not respond to the followup 'Power' code to turn it back off...

Any other ideas folks, as the TV/Power trick had been working flawlessly for me for a year or more.

Why is it always one step forward, but break something else, with Virgin?

Andre
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote