TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Zatz announces Plex will Hit TiVo's next week

I am not sure if this has made the rounds yet or not. Last we heard Plex was scheduled to officially rollout on June 8, but Dave seems to think the rollout will begin next week.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/tivo-plex/

He is confirming a few rumors:

It will be a top level app in the Music & Photos section
It will NOT require a Plex Pass
It will NOT integrate with OnePass
It will initially deploy as 720P with an update later to 1080P

It makes a lot of sense to put it in the Music & Photo section simply to avoid confusion about the lack of OnePass integration. That and Plex is for all your personal / local media - Movies, TV, Photos, and Music.

This is a Blog post showing several UI screens for Smart TV's... I would have shown a few more of the video screen options - but if you haven't seen Plex, this will give you an idea of the presentation.

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/04/16/huge...-smart-tv-app/

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys; 05-24-2015 at 08:04 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

One reason I will keep a Plex Pass is it allows you to upgrade their standard music library to a Premium Music library. Among other things it bumps your library up to Vevo and allows you to watch a music video for the selected song.

I hope that feature is available on the TiVo app.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 05-24-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Jepato

Very good news if it's a top level app.

Jepato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepato View Post
Very good news if it's a top level app.
It is, see the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
........ It will be a top level app in the Music & Photos section .......

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
shwru980r

Will the Tivo version of Plex be able to access the various plugins that you can install for the Plex server on your computer?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Will the Tivo version of Plex be able to access the various plugins that you can install for the Plex server on your computer?
From what I have read the initial release will not support additional "channels", but support will be added at a later date.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
jcthorne

It does seem an odd location to put the menu item for a video server. Or at least an item that is primarily a video server. Wonder if it will appear in my shows as well like netflix amazon et al.

Still, its far better than buried inside the opera app.

Truly look forward to trying this. My first stab at setting up the server side is running and waiting its new client.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
It does seem an odd location to put the menu item for a video server. Or at least an item that is primarily a video server. Wonder if it will appear in my shows as well like netflix amazon et al.

Still, its far better than buried inside the opera app.

Truly look forward to trying this. My first stab at setting up the server side is running and waiting its new client.
I suspect that was chosen to diferenciate it between integrated and non integrated services. With that I doubt it will appear in the my shows list.

I agree it is better than being buried in the Opera Store.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
whitepelican

Could anyone explain to me what the advantage of Plex is over things like PyTivo or Streambaby?

whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Unified access (with nice pics and metadata) from any device to all your non-Tivo content, basically - Tivo now being another client.

If all you're doing is pyTivo and/or streambaby today, there's not a whole lot you're going to gain with Plex.

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
spaldingclan

I will finally be able to say bye bye to the buggy and never working pytivo

spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
wizwor

Advantages of Plex

There are Simple and Tablo apps for Plex. You should be able to access an inexpensive 'whole house' dvr/library from a TiVo or Mini.

wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #13
mstrumpf

What can Plex do?

I currently have pyTivo set up on my HP MediaSmart server and it works well enough. I don't have ripped DVDs, just Tivo files that I'd like to watch again. The biggest problem is that I can not watch videos on my mini without first transferring them to the Roamio.

Will Plex allow me to stream my tivo videos as is, or will I have to convert them to another format? Will they keep the meta data?

Is there a Plex server for WHS?

Does anyone think that Tivo will ever create a new Tivo Desktop that supports streaming?

Thanks

mstrumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #14
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrumpf View Post
I currently have pyTivo set up on my HP MediaSmart server and it works well enough. I don't have ripped DVDs, just Tivo files that I'd like to watch again. The biggest problem is that I can not watch videos on my mini without first transferring them to the Roamio.
If it streams, it could work on the mini
Quote:
Will Plex allow me to stream my tivo videos as is, or will I have to convert them to another format? Will they keep the meta data?
Plex does not understand .TIVO files, if you converted it to another format, Plex will most likely understand the format. Plex transcodes on the fly like pyTivo. Plex has it's own meta data infrastructure.
Quote:
If you managed to install pyTivo on WHS, then you should be able to install Plex on WHS
Quote:
Does anyone think that Tivo will ever create a new Tivo Desktop that supports streaming?
I don't think so.

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrumpf View Post

Thanks
If you still have all your content as .tivo, I suspect Plex will not work. If you have decrypted your content then it will work fine. (TV shows need a specific naming convention)

You can remote deskptop into your server and install Plex just as you would on any other PC. That is how I ran Pytivo on my MediaSmart.

I would love to see TiVo update desktop, but I suspect it is mostly an abandoned product at this point.

I used Pytivo for years and it worked great. I never really got into stream baby, but people do seem to like it quite a bit. What I like about Plex is the modern implementation, it automatically gets all your media art and metadata. It natively streams, it is available on all mobile devices and frankly it looks good.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #16
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
pyTivo has worked flawlessly for me for years. Most of the problems I've read with pyTivo were due to configuration, networking or user error. pyTivo is not for everyone. Plex may be a better option for you.

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
confinoj

Zatz's post was on 5/24 and said coming "next week". The official date has been said to be 6/8 (2 weeks after). So when are people thinking this will drop? Maybe "next week" refers to those on priority list? Which would be when, this week? I know this is speculation just trying to sort out the discrepancies.

I'm looking forward to Plex on Tivo. I've been using it for years for my DVD/blu-ray collection but don't have a set top box that officially supports it. Have used plexconnect on my ATV but recently it has had some problems for me and is still a bit of a hack.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #18
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Zatz's post was on 5/24 and said coming "next week". The official date has been said to be 6/8 (2 weeks after). So when are people thinking this will drop? Maybe "next week" refers to those on priority list? Which would be when, this week? I know this is speculation just trying to sort out the discrepancies.

I'm looking forward to Plex on Tivo. I've been using it for years for my DVD/blu-ray collection but don't have a set top box that officially supports it. Have used plexconnect on my ATV but recently it has had some problems for me and is still a bit of a hack.
Zatz's inside information indicates that it will drop this week, so it could be anytime now. (But as he says, if it doesn't drop until the 8th, he is only a day off!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
pyTivo has worked flawlessly for me for years. Most of the problems I've read with pyTivo were due to configuration, networking or user error. pyTivo is not for everyone. Plex may be a better option for you.
The community developers have spent countless hours and significant passion delivering PyTiVo - and I agree, it works fine. It does take a novice a little reading and experimentation to get it up and running, but it is a good product.

My complaint isn't with PyTiVo, it is with TiVo itself. When they implemented MRS streaming and the HDUI for TiVo to TiVo, they should have exposed that for external file shares as well.

PyTiVo does everything it needs to do and does it very well under the constraints of the TiVo architecture. Plex has the advantage of bypassing the TiVo architecture.

I used to fastidiously update metadata files and download image art and associate all that with my DVD archive. It all worked great - until you MRV'd the movie - none of it followed the file.

Plex automatically updates and manages the metadata and media art for both my movies and my music... I don't have to do anything.

I loved PyTiVo and the server is still up and running, but I will move pretty much exclusively to Plex once it lands unless I really need something pushed to my TiVo.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #19
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Zatz's post was on 5/24 and said coming "next week". The official date has been said to be 6/8 (2 weeks after).
24th (Sun) is this week. Next week begins May 31st (Sun). I don't have great intel on timing, but believe it's possible we'll see Plex next week. In any event, we're very close - the meat of my post was more about the implementation details than the timing. TiVo timing, and software deployment timing in general, is always a crapshoot.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
confinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
24th (Sun) is this week. Next week begins May 31st (Sun). I don't have great intel on timing, but believe it's possible we'll see Plex next week. In any event, we're very close - the meat of my post was more about the implementation details than the timing. TiVo timing, and software deployment timing in general, is always a crapshoot.
Thanks Dave.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
oh I'm sure its a config thing but after working flawlessly for months, it just stopped working..maybe an ip address change ?

spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #22
Test

What do I need to do to have my setup ready to go for when the update is released? I have an osx machine running pytivo with a few different video formats.

I figure I'll need to install Plex, do I need a Plex account to use their services (free or paid)?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #23
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
What do I need to do to have my setup ready to go for when the update is released? I have an osx machine running pytivo with a few different video formats.

I figure I'll need to install Plex, do I need a Plex account to use their services (free or paid)?
A Plex account will not be necessary. Install Plex and add your local content folders/shares to it. You can play content thru your web browser for now.

mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #24
HarperVision

Apparently Bradleys is reporting getting PLEX on his Roamio on Zatz' site.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #25
miller890

PLEX was originally developed on MAC OS but is now available on all of the common operation systems as well as many NAS. If you have a Synology NAS which is missing the PLEX package, you may want to download the latest update. My Synology DS214+ NAS just received PLEX package with the latest update today. Nice to see PLEX discovers and plays lossless FLAC files which PLEX site reported as in development.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...t-Step-by-Step

Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
never working? IIRC, it was a pain to set up the first time, but since then, was easy to use..

I was hoping Plex would be EASIER to use (just a double-click app, maybe drag in a 'media folder'), but on the page someone else mentioned, it requires a VERY strict file naming scheme...

What a pain. I have my shows downloaded with a folder/naming structure that *I* want, along with the metadata files, with kmttg..

So it sounds like I *couldn't* just start using Plex along with this existing set of downloads.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #27
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
never working? IIRC, it was a pain to set up the first time, but since then, was easy to use..

I was hoping Plex would be EASIER to use (just a double-click app, maybe drag in a 'media folder'), but on the page someone else mentioned, it requires a VERY strict file naming scheme...

What a pain. I have my shows downloaded with a folder/naming structure that *I* want, along with the metadata files, with kmttg..

So it sounds like I *couldn't* just start using Plex along with this existing set of downloads.
For movies it doesn't require a strict naming scheme - it just seems to find everything just fine. Same with music... For a television series it does require a naming scheme that is pretty easy to do with kmttg.

Movies: create a movie channel and point to your Movie directory
Music: create a music channel and point to your music directory
TV Shows: create a tv show channel and point to a directory named TV Shows with content using the following naming convention.

TV Shows/Show_Name/ShowName - sXXeYY

Kmttg: [mainTitle][/][mainTitle " - "][SeriesEpNumber]

Plex will find all the metadata and poster /album art for your media.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 05-28-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #28
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
For movies it doesn't require a strict naming scheme - it just seems to find everything just fine. Same with music... For a television series it does require a naming scheme that is pretty easy to do with kmttg.
Thanks, but what I mean is -- what about all of the tons of shows I've already downloaded that *don't* have the "correct" naming scheme?

sure, I could probably write a python script to convert them.. but I thought Plex was supposed to be the friendly way to have a media server... whereas as I said, pytivo and the tivo talk together to use the same metadata files to (at least usually) show me the actual show info, rather than my own manual filename.

Yes, I admit I'm mostly "whining", and/or trying to learn how this will help me use my *existing* setup?

I MAY still try it out for future downloads..

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #29
Azlen

Quote:
Thanks, but what I mean is -- what about all of the tons of shows I've already downloaded that *don't* have the "correct" naming scheme?

sure, I could probably write a python script to convert them.. but I thought Plex was supposed to be the friendly way to have a media server... whereas as I said, pytivo and the tivo talk together to use the same metadata files to (at least usually) show me the actual show info, rather than my own manual filename.

Yes, I admit I'm mostly "whining", and/or trying to learn how this will help me use my *existing* setup?

You should be able to download the server for free now, have it scan your library and see what kind of results it comes back with.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #30
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:

Yeah - it doesn't work out of the box with TV series as it does for Movies and music. That said, pytivo doesn't have an automated mechanism to associate cover art and metadata. I had to do that one file at a time.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)