TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
jfe

Question Going to cut the proverbial cord

I recently had an argument with Directv, and I have been a customer with them since the Primestar days, 1998 I believe, but I think it's time to part ways

My problem is that my main tv is a little old, it's a 65" Mitsubishi HD, that has no HDMI, just a DVI and component.

I would like to get a Tivo that can receive OTA and output to component, and it also has apps like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime

New or used with a lifetime would be great

What model would anyone recommend getting?

jfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
I recently had an argument with Directv, and I have been a customer with them since the Primestar days, 1998 I believe, but I think it's time to part ways My problem is that my main tv is a little old, it's a 65" Mitsubishi HD, that has no HDMI, just a DVI and component. I would like to get a Tivo that can receive OTA and output to component, and it also has apps like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime New or used with a lifetime would be great What model would anyone recommend getting?
Does your TV's DVI port support HDCP copy protection? If so, you can get a Roamio base model and just use a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. If it doesn't, you still may be able to do something similar of you research and buy an HDMI splitter that strips hdcp.

If that fails, then your only TiVo option for OTA with component outputs would be a two tuner Premiere or TiVo HD. It's is reported that the HD has a better OTA tuner, but in contrast the premiere is better for the apps and uses the newer GUI like the Roamio.

My thoughts are, if it fits in your budget, would be to also upgrade your tv to one with HDCP enabled HDMI connections and buy a base model Roamio.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
confinoj

I would get the Roamio OTA with lifetime currently being offered for $399 plus an HDMI to component/audio converter.

Edit:
Agree with HDMI to DVI cable/adapter if that's an option but unlikely your TV supports HDCP if it's that old. The above linked HDMI converter reportedly can handle HDCP.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I would get the Roamio OTA with lifetime currently being offered for $399 plus an HDMI to component/audio converter. Edit: Agree with HDMI to DVI cable/adapter if that's an option but unlikely your TV supports HDCP if it's that old. The above linked HDMI converter reportedly can handle HDCP.
That's good idea too, but I was hesitant to recommend the OTA unit because he's coming from many years with DTV and was worried that if cutting the cord didn't work out well for him that he'd have no option to go to cable.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
With the OTA there would be no worry about HDCP. At least not for recorded content. OTA recordings never have copy protection and as such do not require HDCP. Some content on Netflix and Amazon do though, so if you plan to use those services then HDCP will still be important.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

OP referenced his "main TV", from which I infer that he may have other TVs in his house. If so, then he could get a Roamio OTA and a TiVo Mini and use the Mini at his "main TV" since it does have a component output.

A new Roamio OTA w/lifetime is $400 and a Mini w/lifetime is $150, plus if your house isn't wired for ethernet, then you'll probably need at least 1 MoCA adapter for $50. So you can take care of 2 TVs for around $600.

Last edited by tarheelblue32; 05-26-2015 at 07:06 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
If that fails, then your only TiVo option for OTA with component outputs would be a two tuner Premiere or TiVo HD. It's is reported that the HD has a better OTA tuner, but in contrast the premiere is better for the apps and uses the newer GUI like the Roamio.
The HD has no streaming apps other than Netflix, and that app is not the greatest. (The OP said he wanted Amazon and Hulu apps).

I'm sticking with my THD for now but I have an Amazon Fire TV for the streaming apps. Besides the cost of the FTV, another disadvantage of my approach is having to select different inputs (on TV or AV receiver) when switching between TiVo and FTV -- and dealing with different remotes (or a universal remote). Note the Fire TV stick costs only $39 and works great for most folks -- if you have WiFi.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
jfe

Thanks for all the responses

I do have other TVs in the house, but the main tv is the only one with any kind of service. The smallest one just has an OTA antenna, CRT, circa 1900's. The other one is a plasma that does have HDMI, but have a Roku and Apple TV hooked to it

Push comes to shove, I will get the mini for the main tv, and the roamio for the plasma.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:

I do have other TVs in the house, but the main tv is the only one with any kind of service. The smallest one just has an OTA antenna, CRT, circa 1900's. The other one is a plasma that does have HDMI, but have a Roku and Apple TV hooked to it

Push comes to shove, I will get the mini for the main tv, and the roamio for the plasma.
That's what I would do. You can put the Roamio at either the Plasma or the CRT, since the Roamio does have a composite video output the CRT could use, and then the Mini will give you the component connection for your main TV. You will also need to get the A/V breakout cables to use the component (or composite) output on the Mini and the Roamio. TiVo sells them on their website for $15, or you might find them cheaper on 3rd party websites.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
confinoj

Quote:

Sounds good. Which Roamio would you get? OTA or base?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
The HD has no streaming apps other than Netflix, and that app is not the greatest. (The OP said he wanted Amazon and Hulu apps).

I'm sticking with my THD for now but I have an Amazon Fire TV for the streaming apps. Besides the cost of the FTV, another disadvantage of my approach is having to select different inputs (on TV or AV receiver) when switching between TiVo and FTV -- and dealing with different remotes (or a universal remote). Note the Fire TV stick costs only $39 and works great for most folks -- if you have WiFi.
I think the extra time spent switching TV inputs is made up by the speed in which the fire tv apps load.

I wasted alot of time trying to watch youtube on my premiere, but it keeps stuttering. I'm sticking with the fire tv for OTT apps.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
jfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Sounds good. Which Roamio would you get? OTA or base?
OTA

I bought the HDMI to component adapter, and that was a bust

Ended up buying the Mini and network adapter

Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
JBDragon

Quote:
I recently had an argument with Directv, and I have been a customer with them since the Primestar days, 1998 I believe, but I think it's time to part ways

My problem is that my main tv is a little old, it's a 65" Mitsubishi HD, that has no HDMI, just a DVI and component.

I would like to get a Tivo that can receive OTA and output to component, and it also has apps like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime

New or used with a lifetime would be great

What model would anyone recommend getting?
The only difference from HDMI and DVI is that HDMI also carries Multi-Channel Surround sound Audio. DVI is Video only. Both are Digital formats.
You can buy HDMI to DVI cable and then use a normal RCA RED/WHITE plugs connections for the Sterno Audio.

I cut the cord from Comcast 3+ years ago and haven't looked back. I have been using Media Center and I'm working on switching to TIVO. I just got the Roamio OTA box for $299 with Lifetime service. That deal didn't last long. I've since gotten a Tivo Stream, which works out grear for Tivo's new Online service and a Tivo Mini. I plan to get another Mini in a month or so. The Mini's are great. It's like having the Main Tivo on another Room. Looks the same, same Interface, same Tivo Remote. No subscription charge for suing them any more. Some slight Settings differances form the main Tivo Box, but it's a TIVO, and all the capabilities of the main Tivo. Netflix, Hulu+(Which I just can't stand) Amazon Prime, Yahoo Screens is nice (Catch on on the new season of Community that Yahoo produced, like Orignal Content on Netflix!) There's PLEX support now, and for me as a cable cutter PLEX is huge for me.

I thought I would miss Comcast and all those channels, but really, a Antenna alone I get a TON of content with a Antenna!!! My Tivo is always recording. In the few weeks now I've had my Tivo, there's over 500+ Tivo Recommended programs it's recorded alone.

My Tivo only came with a 500 Gig Hard Drive. using Media Center I had a 3TB hard drive. So when I ordered my Tivo, I went to Amazon and Ordered up a Western Digital 3TB Green drive. You want the Green drive!!! It's very quite. I put my ear up to my Roamio and I can't hear it running. I have a TON of space now. My Tivo still only shows 9% filled. Swapping out the Hard drive was simple. It's the largest size you can get that's a simple drop in. I watched a youtube video on how to get the thing apart. I didn't break anything opening it up. I had the drive swapped in like 5 minutes. Done before I ever plugged it in for the first time.

I assume your TV is a Rear Projection. I used to have a 42" 1080i Mitsubishi Rear Projection set. it also only had a DVI port on it. back in the day is really was the cheapest way to get HDTV. LCD's were only 720P is 5 times the price. Plasma's were 480P. I think I paid around $1800 for it at the time. I sold it for $50! The picture was great right in front of it, but off side views sucked and I was generally off to the side.

JBDragon is offline   Reply With Quote