Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #91
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
had no idea so many people disliked Jimmy Fallon so much. I rather like him.
I had no idea people actually liked Fallon as a talk show host.

IMO, he's nothing special as a comedian.
He does a poor monologue and he's a poor interviewer.
He occasionally has a funny skit or bit but that's about it.
He's so bland that Jay Leno is more interesting.

I find every other late night host better than Failon.

The timing of this is interesting as well.
A few months ago, they were saying the Leno would be reupped for a couple of more years.

Is Leno stepping down because he wants to or because Lorne Michaels wants the Tonight Show?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #92
brianric

I record both Leno and Letterman for the monologue and for any interesting guests. Once Leno and Letterman goes, so will my late night viewing.
brianric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #93
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I had no idea people actually liked Fallon as a talk show host.

IMO, he's nothing special as a comedian.
He does a poor monologue and he's a poor interviewer.
He occasionally has a funny skit or bit but that's about it.
He's so bland that Jay Leno is more interesting.

I find every other late night host better than Failon.

The timing of this is interesting as well.
A few months ago, they were saying the Leno would be reupped for a couple of more years.

Is Leno stepping down because he wants to or because Lorne Michaels wants the Tonight Show?
Well people do like Fallon and he is comfortable. Yes he may not be edgy but the 11:30 slot will never be edgy. Thats what late night is about.
11:30 is about the largest amount of ratings possible and therefore you have to be comfortable.

NBC is worried about Kimmel and wanted to go younger. Leno finally agreed, who's to know how hard he fought but its one thing to go against Dave who is basically a peer then against Kimmel who has more future years in the bank. I expect there to be pressure on Dave at some point and I don't think he would care if he retired at this point.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #94
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm not fond of Fallon. He sort of bugs me the way he delivers his jokes rather awkwardly, and he always seems to be more amused by them himself than anyone else.

That said, there are bits here and there that I can see that help to explain why I've seen him called the next Johnny Carson.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #95
SeanC
ECT

I really like Jimmy Fallon. I find him entertaining and refreshing. I like that he breaks all the time, I laugh with him.

In the past I have had season passes for Jay, Dave, Conan, and Jimmy. Jimmy is the only one I record now.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #96
mattack

I record basically all of the late night shows (2 NBC, 2 CBS, Conan, Kimmel). The only one I watch entire episodes of (at faster than realtime) is Letterman, but even that I end up with a ton saved up and then watch a bunch in a short period of time. (I should turn it into podcasts again and listen to just the audio -- that gives me the vast majority of the entertainment value, even faster.)

I think Fallon has the most interesting skits -- most of his weird game show skits. Leno with headlines & Jaywalking & _sometimes_ the go spoof movies/songs with apartment dwellers.
Conan with pretty much only "fan corrections". Kimmel with some of his Jaywalking-ish ask people questions they won't know the answer to, and the various YouTube videos (some are mean, some are mean BUT still funny, e.g. telling kids the parents ate the Halloween candy).

…and musical performances from most of the shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #97
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Well people do like Fallon and he is comfortable. Yes he may not be edgy but the 11:30 slot will never be edgy. Thats what late night is about.
11:30 is about the largest amount of ratings possible and therefore you have to be comfortable.
There's comfortable and then there's bad.
I think that Fallon's just a bad talk show host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
NBC is worried about Kimmel and wanted to go younger. Leno finally agreed, who's to know how hard he fought but its one thing to go against Dave who is basically a peer then against Kimmel who has more future years in the bank. I expect there to be pressure on Dave at some point and I don't think he would care if he retired at this point.
Letterman turns 66 this month (Leno turns 63 this month as well) so I have to think he's got be thinking of retiring shortly.
The question is, who moves into Letterman's slot if Ferguson doesn't want to.

Leno is still beating Letterman and Kimmel in demo (most of the time) but his share has eroded over the past couple of years (primarily due to the 2009 debacle).

So it may be time to change hosts if NBC wants to retain the demo lead but I wonder if Fallon will do as well against Kimmel at 11:30.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #98
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

There's comfortable and then there's bad.
I think that Fallon's just a bad talk show host.

Letterman turns 66 this month (Leno turns 63 this month as well) so I have to think he's got be thinking of retiring shortly.
The question is, who moves into Letterman's slot if Ferguson doesn't want to.

Leno is still beating Letterman and Kimmel in demo (most of the time) but his share has eroded over the past couple of years (primarily due to the 2009 debacle).

So it may be time to change hosts if NBC wants to retain the demo lead but I wonder if Fallon will do as well against Kimmel at 11:30.
Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter wrote a piece a couple weeks ago about how he thinks Stephen Colbert should drop his right-wing persona and replace Dave as himself. Colbert would do a great job.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #99
dfergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
NBC really wants to ensure it loses all it's audience
They didn't learn from the Conan fiasco... I've watched the Tonight Show since the black and white days, no more when Jimmy takes over... (didn't watch when Conan had it either). I do watch Fallon occasionally for his musical guests.
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #100
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I like Fallon better than Conan, but there's no doubt that Conan was much more polished and had a much bigger following when he took over. So I can't imagine that NBC will be expecting Fallon's ratings to be any better than Conan's were.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #101
gschrock

I think Fallon is ok, but he's definitely still somewhat in the awkward stage, where he doesn't seem to be completely comfortable in his job, and I do kinda wonder how that will work out when he's moved to the earlier show. Now, I honestly feel the Roots are a far better band than what's currently on the tonight show though.

I've gotten to the point where I don't watch much much of the nightly talk shows anymore. Used to watch both Leno and Dave, then I found Dave starting to get more and more annoying. Conan I've never liked.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #102
FilmCritic3000

Letterman gets the last laugh, as he'll have outlasted Leno, which I love; rumors swirl he might retire in 2014 & Jon Stewart would get offered the spot. But Letterman controls his timeslot and the one after his, plus he gets to pick his successor - it's in his contract. Letterman likes Stewart, but I think he will wait until Conan's recently renewed (through November 2015) tbs contract expires, then offer him "Late Night". Letterman's relationship with Conan is very much like Dave's was with Johnny Carson.

Anyway, just a theory of mine.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #103
Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
They didn't learn from the Conan fiasco... I've watched the Tonight Show since the black and white days, no more when Jimmy takes over... (didn't watch when Conan had it either). I do watch Fallon occasionally for his musical guests.
You refuse to watch these young hooligans and their shenanigans?

I guess your sense of humor never made it out of the '80s.
Roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #104
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCritic3000 View Post
I would LOVE for that to come true. Conan got jobbed.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #105
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCritic3000 View Post
Letterman gets the last laugh, as he'll have outlasted Leno, which I love; rumors swirl he might retire in 2014 & Jon Stewart would get offered the spot. But Letterman controls his timeslot and the one after his, plus he gets to pick his successor - it's in his contract. Letterman likes Stewart, but I think he will wait until Conan's recently renewed (through November 2015) tbs contract expires, then offer him "Late Night". Letterman's relationship with Conan is very much like Dave's was with Johnny Carson.

What would CBS' motivation be for doing this? They've now seen what kinds of ratings Conan gets at 11:35 on a broadcast network and at 11:00 on a cable network. I guarantee they would not be happy with the numbers Conan is pulling.

The networks really have two options: fresh talent or new formats. I don't think Conan satisfies either if those.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #106
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I would LOVE for that to come true. Conan got jobbed.
You'll get to see Leno's side on 60 Minutes tonight.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jay-leno...ht-show-twice/
Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #107
dfergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
You refuse to watch these young hooligans and their shenanigans?

I guess your sense of humor never made it out of the '80s.
I've watched Jimmy's late night and my sense of humor is just fine, I hope NBC goes down in flames again like the Coco fiasco... nothing against Jimmy but after having timers only interrupted by the Conan days of the Tonight Show with first Johnny, then Jay the tonight show will die for me when Jay leaves.
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #108
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

I don't like Ferguson. I can't stand to watch him except if his guest is interesting. That skull persona that he has on his show is middle school humor.

I like Colbert, Fallon and Kimmel, but don't watch any of them as much as I use to watch Jay or John Carson.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #109
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I like Fallon. Much funnier than Jay. His stuff is so stale.

Was at a restaurant last night and they had the Leno interview on 60 Minutes showing on one of the monitors. I couldn't hear it, but just looking at Jay, he looks like he could have been on the Sopranos. He reminds me of a cross between Johnny Sack and Paulie.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #110
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Good interview on Today this morning with both Jay and jimmy (and Matt Lauer.). Part 2 next week.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #111
vertigo235

I havn't really kept up with Fallon's show, but we watched that "Best of Jimmy Fallon" thing that was on a week or two ago and I was suprised how funny it was from start to end.

I forgot how talented Fallon is as a performer and entertainer. Well I guess I really didn't know at all before. despite seeing him in SNL years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #112
mlsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I havn't really kept up with Fallon's show, but we watched that "Best of Jimmy Fallon" thing that was on a week or two ago and I was suprised how funny it was from start to end.
I saw that too and thought it was howlingly funny. But also had to keep in mind it's the best parts of several years of his show narrowed down to 2 hours minus commercials.

I do like a lot of Fallon's bits (thank you notes, slow jamming the news, to name a couple) but don't watch his interviews so can't say if he is or isn't an interesting interviewer. To me an interviewer doesn't have to be hard hitting but their conversations should be interesting. Of the bigs -- Letterman, Leno, Conan, Kimmel -- none of them strike me as great conversationalists. It's primarily softball questions to celebs plugging their latest work. I kinda wish the format would change to something more like a variety show where the guests can just intro a clip so we don't have to sacrifice precious entertainment minutes enduring awkward chitchat.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #113
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
You'll get to see Leno's side on 60 Minutes tonight.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jay-leno...ht-show-twice/
It was interesting to see Mavis talking to the reporter.
I can't recall ever seeing her interviewed.

Leno said that this wasn't his idea so it makes think more so that Lorne Michaels is pushing for Leno to step down.

I'm guessing that NBC will pay off the last year(s?) of Leno's contract.

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 01-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #114
brianric

Quote:
It was interesting to see Mavis talking to the reporter.
I can't recall ever seeing her interviewed.

Leno said that this wasn't his idea so it makes think more so that Lorne Michaels is pushing for Leno to step down.

I'm guessing that NBC will pay off the last year(s?) of Leno's contract.
Leno said he was asked this time to step down, versus being told he was being replaced by Cowan.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #115
JYoung
Series 3

Jay Leno, misused employee?

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #116
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I'm not getting why we're supposed to find him sympathetic.

Quote:
Leno's wife, Mavis, helped put the exit in perspective by venting about the notion that he is a villain.

"It made me angry because there was this perception that for some reason Jay had decided to give up the show," she told "60 Minutes. "It was like he gave the show to Conan [O'Brien], and then he took it back. That was not what happened, OK? That was not what happened."
Uh, yeah, we know that's not what happened. Leno never wanted to quit. So what? How does that make him not the villain? He still got his damn prime-time show, undermining Conan, and ultimately showing that he only cared about himself, and not the institution that was "The Tonight Show".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #117
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
How does that make him not the villain? He still got his damn prime-time show, undermining Conan, and ultimately showing that he only cared about himself (...)
Wait a minute...he's a villain because he wanted to keep working? Now if he took the 10pm show in order to "undermine" Conan", then yes, that would be villainous, but surely even you don't think that's what happened. And Conan's failure in any account was hardly due to Jay's show. His humor just didn't have the broad appeal of Jay's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
(...) he only cared about himself, and not the institution that was "The Tonight Show".
One could certainly argue that anyone who cared about the "institution" of The Tonight Show would not have wanted Leno to have been pushed out for Conan (nor even now to be pushed out for Fallon). After all, he's still #1...

If anyone didn't care about the "institution" of The Tonight Show, it was Conan's people who forced NBC to kick Jay out and the NBC execs who caved.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #118
GoPackGo

Chris Rock made a good point on Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.

He said that if Conan had a background in standup, he never would have let Leno get that 10 pm show. Every standup knows that if the guy before you is a bigger star, then no one will stay to see your set.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #119
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Chris Rock made a good point on Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.

He said that if Conan had a background in standup, he never would have let Leno get that 10 pm show. Every standup knows that if the guy before you is a bigger star, then no one will stay to see your set.
But he was fairly successful in the 12:30 slot

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #120
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
But he was fairly successful in the 12:30 slot
True, but Rock's point was that a comedian would have never agreed to the deal in the first place.