TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
MrStress

Question Down to my last video output :-(

Hello all, I have a tivo series 3 HD, here not to long ago my hdmi quit working which is a common issue when they get older I found out. So I switched to component output, this morning no video again, after trying different cables to no avail I tried RCA and wala I got a picture, but now on analog not digital. I took the cover off and checked out the caps, the power supply shows all the right voltages without a load on it. any help will be appreciated, I'm out of town sometimes for a day or two so might not reply right away. Thanks again
MrStress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStress View Post
I took the cover off and checked out the caps, the power supply shows all the right voltages without a load on it.
You need to check it again WITH the load.

Water pressure analogy:
Think of the power supply the same as your source of water pressure.
If the power supply is not connected to anything, it is the same thing as putting a cap on the end of a water hose. You have 100% pressure available, but it is doing no work.
Add a few taps with sprinklers, water pressure at the end of the hose will drop, but will quickly recover as long as the supply can handle the load.
If the supply can't handle the load, the sprinklers become ineffective.

The main function of a capacitor is to regulate voltage drop by opposing the change in voltage. Without a load, there is no voltage drop, and nothing for the capacitor to regulate.
A capacitor can go bad without showing any physical signs, so don't rely just on visual inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
HomeUser

You might want to check the house wiring also. Bad grounds or reversed wiring can cause damage between equipment also.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Hello all, I have a tivo series 3 HD, here not to long ago my hdmi quit working which is a common issue when they get older I found out. So I switched to component output, this morning no video again, after trying different cables to no avail I tried RCA and wala I got a picture, but now on analog not digital. I took the cover off and checked out the caps, the power supply shows all the right voltages without a load on it. any help will be appreciated, I'm out of town sometimes for a day or two so might not reply right away. Thanks again
EXACTLY what do you mean by "without a load on it"?

Does that mean that you unplugged the harness to the back of the hard drive?

Does that mean that you unplugged the plug that goes to the motherboard?

Does that mean that you did both?

Does that mean that you just disconnected everything from the exterior back panel except the power cord?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
MrStress

Still workin with RCA

I disconnected the power cord from the motherboard and checked volts, I do pc repair but my adapter for testing with a load is standard ATX not Tivo's. I have many electronics connected to that plug and none of the others are having problems, but will check volts. Yes I to think the power supply but would like to be sure b4 buying one. Don't believe I can test with load but will try. Thanks for all ur help....
MrStress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
I disconnected the power cord from the motherboard and checked volts, I do pc repair but my adapter for testing with a load is standard ATX not Tivo's. I have many electronics connected to that plug and none of the others are having problems, but will check volts. Yes I to think the power supply but would like to be sure b4 buying one. Don't believe I can test with load but will try. Thanks for all ur help....
There are 3 loads with which one can test a TiVo power supply.

1. The TiVo motherboard.

2. A hard drive (not necessarily the TiVo's hard drive)

3. The TiVo motherboard and a hard drive.

Plug the plug back onto the motherboard.

Connect the voltmeter's negative lead (probably the black one) to the metal Tivo chassis on the side away from the power supply with an alligator clip if possible, otherwise you can jam the lead down into one of the holes in the back of the plug where the wires go in. Since you need a ground connection, put it into one of the holes where a black wire goes in, preferably one away from the non-black wires as much as possible.

Take the positive lead (probably red) and use it to backprobe the plug.

Yellow wire should be +12 Volts (or thereabouts)

Red wire, +5V,

Orange, +3.3V

On an original S3, with the clock, the gray or brown or whatever is the front panel supply and I think it's something like 8 or 9 Volts, but it should be fine.

After getting readings with just the motherboard connected, hook up a hard drive and see if the readings change very much.

They shouldn't.

Be sure not to let the leads short together while testing and always know where both ends of the TiVo's power cord are at all times.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote