TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Jeff Lam

Selling a Tivo with Lifetive Service...

I have a series 3 with lifetime service that I no longer use and need to sell. I did a "delete everything", but I'm not sure how to go about deactivating the box from my account and transfering it to the new owner. What do I need to do on my end to prepare the tivo for the new owner and make sure my personal info and account is safe.
Jeff Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
P42

A Clear & Delete Everything is the most you can do, it will return the Tivo to the factory settings. There is no way of removing it from your account. You'll have to wait until the new owner transfers it to their account for it to disappear off of your.

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
poppagene
User

Call customer service and let them know you intend to transfer the tivo to anothers account. They can make a ote in your account record and will give you a reference number that the new owner may need to finish the transfer.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
A Clear & Delete Everything is the most you can do, it will return the Tivo to the factory settings. There is no way of removing it from your account. You'll have to wait until the new owner transfers it to their account for it to disappear off of your.
Even then it might not disappear from your account. I still have TiVos showing up on my account that I sold years ago. Of course I don't have access to them to make any changes but they still show up on the list of TiVos cluttering everything up.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even then it might not disappear from your account. I still have TiVos showing up on my account that I sold years ago. Of course I don't have access to them to make any changes but they still show up on the list of TiVos cluttering everything up.
Only one way I know to fix that is: create a new TiVo account, move your active TiVos into that new account, than change all the information on the now old account, fake address phone etc, than change your new TiVo account to your correct address phone etc and you will have a clean TiVo account BUT your media access key will change, it will take your TiVos a few days to able to use MRS etc. You can speed this up by forcing a few call home from each TiVo. Another advantage to this is that as you sell your old TiVos now in that new account they will not appear anymore in your new account, only TiVos you activate in your new TiVo account will stay as you sell them.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Only one way I know to fix that is: create a new TiVo account, move your active TiVos into that new account, than change all the information on the now old account, fake address phone etc, than change your new TiVo account to your correct address phone etc and you will have a clean TiVo account BUT your media access key will change, it will take your TiVos a few days to able to use MRS etc. You can speed this up by forcing a few call home from each TiVo. Another advantage to this is that as you sell your old TiVos now in that new account they will not appear anymore in your new account, only TiVos you activate in your new TiVo account will stay as you sell them.
The MAK changing is the reason I won't do this. I already had a CSR change my MAK a few years ago for another issue which reall y had nothing to do with the MAK.(the CSR did not understand the consequences and neither did I at the time) Because of that, I lost access to many terabytes of recordings on my TiVo Desktop machine and my TiVos. I don't want to go through that mess again.

Last edited by aaronwt : 02-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Jeff Lam

So as far as my initial work, as long as I clear and delete everything, I'm good to go to list it for sale and ship it out?
Jeff Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lam View Post
So as far as my initial work, as long as I clear and delete everything, I'm good to go to list it for sale and ship it out?
Yes; Only a few people take the trouble to C&D all before a sale, but it can't hurt.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lam View Post
If you have it linked to something like your Amazon account (or maybe Netflix), then you will want to remove that link on the Amazon/Netflix site.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes; Only a few people take the trouble to C&D all before a sale, but it can't hurt.
It can hurt, or at least make things inconvenient.

I don't like it when people do a clear and delete. Then I can't see that it has lifetime until I get it all set up. And nothing to watch either until I get some recording on it or live TV.
I can call TiVo and ask them if the TiVo has lifetime, but like to do both when buying in person.
If a local person has done a clear and delete and I can't see if has lifetime on the TiVo or by talking to TiVo, then I will not pay the 'lifetime' price, a difference of $50 to $500.
When I see someone has done a clear and delete on a eBay offered TiVo it irritates me.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

I don't do a Clear and Delete Everything anymore when I sell a TiVo. I just leave all the shows on the box and do the delete that clears the season Passes and clears out the personal info. Plus if the TiVo has the THX calibration video, that would be deleted with a C&D everything. So I want that to stay on the box.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
andrew1883

Quote:
Because of [changing MAK], I lost access to many terabytes of recordings on my TiVo Desktop machine and my TiVos.
Would you not be able to watch them on the PC at least, by changing back to the old MAK temporarily or having 2 machines or a TiVo with different MAK that could only access those files? This sounds somewhat expensive (2nd TiVo, 2nd PC) but if we're talking multiple TB of content it might be worth it?

Or is the MAK more complex than that? I assumed it was like a PIN, so if you gave the external HD to (say) your brother, he could access the content on his PC if he had the MAK.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. And obviously even how I understand it is inconvenient for the user.

=aw
andrew1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1883 View Post
Would you not be able to watch them on the PC at least, by changing back to the old MAK temporarily or having 2 machines or a TiVo with different MAK that could only access those files? This sounds somewhat expensive (2nd TiVo, 2nd PC) but if we're talking multiple TB of content it might be worth it?

Or is the MAK more complex than that? I assumed it was like a PIN, so if you gave the external HD to (say) your brother, he could access the content on his PC if he had the MAK.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. And obviously even how I understand it is inconvenient for the user.

=aw
Yes you can change the MAK on TiVo Desktopt to view the content, but you can't change the MAK on the TiVos. So the only way to ever watch the content again on the TiVos is to strip the .tivo extension on every file and change it, like with VideoReDo. Which was a needless step for me that was a pain with several terabytes of content. If the MAK would have never been changed then I could have tranferred any show, as is, to a TiVo on my account to watch.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #14
andrew1883

Thanks, it makes sense you can't change the MAK on a TiVo I guess.

Alternatively you could hook up a PC to the TV and watch through Windows Media Player? An inferior solution (and not good enough to change the MAK) but I just wanted to check that the old shows were viewable through the PC in case of desperation.

kmttg would also be acceptable for de-MAKing the files in batch, right? Still a pain but just wondering about Video Re-Do vs. kmttg.

Thanks!
=aw
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:

=aw
The way the external drives are set up part of each show you record goes on the internal drive and part goes on the external drive (and no, it's not something semi-convenient like the first 30 minutes on one and the next 30 minutes on the other), so if you disconnect the external, you lose all the shows except the ones that were already on the TiVo before you added the external.

As for those shows not limited by the cable company setting the CCI bit to no copy, if they're on there when you buy the TiVo, once you put the TiVo on your own account and it downloads the MAK for your home network, you can copy them to the PC or another TiVo on the same account with the same MAK on the same Local Area Network.

The shows aren't tied to the MAK that the TiVo had at the time they were recorded, they were tied to the TiVo's TiVo Service Number, which is why you can't move the internal drive to another TiVo of the same model and watch them there.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
andrew1883

Ah, so if I move my 500GB from the S2DT with service ending May 2013 (not renewing) to the older S2DT with LT from 2004, I won't be able to watch the stuff on the 500GB?

My thought (described in another thread) is to fill the 500GB from the PC before the annual sub ends in May. Then I can watch what's on there until I've seen it all, then either reactivate for a month or (more likely) move the 500GB to the LT machine. If I understand, I'd lose access to whatever was on the 500GB because of the TSN even though they have the same MAK? I could recopy off the PC if I had them though?

Thanks!
=aw
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Ah, so if I move my 500GB from the S2DT with service ending May 2013 (not renewing) to the older S2DT with LT from 2004, I won't be able to watch the stuff on the 500GB?

My thought (described in another thread) is to fill the 500GB from the PC before the annual sub ends in May. Then I can watch what's on there until I've seen it all, then either reactivate for a month or (more likely) move the 500GB to the LT machine. If I understand, I'd lose access to whatever was on the 500GB because of the TSN even though they have the same MAK? I could recopy off the PC if I had them though?

Thanks!
=aw
Copy them to the PC and then back to whatever TiVo you still have operating.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
andrew1883

Thanks. Obviously I lose a room with a TiVo if/when I move the 500GB to the LT machine, which is why I was thinking of loading it up first (before May) so I've still got both machines going. I'm paying for service on the $99 year through May, but haven't had analog since end of December, so it's not entirely unfair.

=aw

Last edited by andrew1883 : 02-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The way the external drives are set up part of each show you record goes on the internal drive and part goes on the external drive (and no, it's not something semi-convenient like the first 30 minutes on one and the next 30 minutes on the other), so if you disconnect the external, you lose all the shows except the ones that were already on the TiVo before you added the external.

As for those shows not limited by the cable company setting the CCI bit to no copy, if they're on there when you buy the TiVo, once you put the TiVo on your own account and it downloads the MAK for your home network, you can copy them to the PC or another TiVo on the same account with the same MAK on the same Local Area Network.

The shows aren't tied to the MAK that the TiVo had at the time they were recorded, they were tied to the TiVo's TiVo Service Number, which is why you can't move the internal drive to another TiVo of the same model and watch them there.
But the shows were tied to the MAK they had when they were recorded. This is what I found out when my MAK got changed. But with TiVo Desktop I could enter the old MAK and access them on the PC. Without the old MAK they were not accessible.

And if I remember correctly, the shows with the old MAK did play on the TiVo box they resided on, but could not be transferred to another of my TiVos since they had the new MAK. But I could be mis-remembering. I do remember it was a huge PITA when my MAK changed. But this was back in 2010. And the CSr changed my MAK thinking it would solve some issue that was caused by having alot of TiVos on my account. Of course it didn't solve anything. Just made things more than one hundred times worse.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But the shows were tied to the MAK they had when they were recorded. This is what I found out when my MAK got changed. But with TiVo Desktop I could enter the old MAK and access them on the PC. Without the old MAK they were not accessible.

And if I remember correctly, the shows with the old MAK did play on the TiVo box they resided on, but could not be transferred to another of my TiVos since they had the new MAK. But I could be mis-remembering. I do remember it was a huge PITA when my MAK changed. But this was back in 2010. And the CSr changed my MAK thinking it would solve some issue that was caused by having alot of TiVos on my account. Of course it didn't solve anything. Just made things more than one hundred times worse.
The copies on the PC were tied to the MAK when they were copied onto the PC.

By, at the time, showing the TiVo the same MAK as it had, Desktop said the magic word to the TiVo that got it to uncouple the recording from the TSN as it fed out the copy, which copy was tied to that MAK in the process of being copied to the PC. The original remaining on the TiVo remains tied to the TSN.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #21
tygerdan

I'm selling my Sony Series 1 SVR-2000 that I bought my lifetime back in 2000 and it doesn't have an online account, but it does have my name and address linked to it, but I'm kinda worried if the new owner will click those coupon specials and I would get them in the mail. Does resetting everything on the box reset my account info for it or I guess they would need to call TiVo to update the info?
tygerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
mattack

When in 2000? If early 2000, you could be eligible for the 1 time lifetime transfer to a new Tivo.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #23
tygerdan

june 8, 2000
tygerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #24
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerdan View Post
june 8, 2000
Missed it by half a year.