TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
ghuido

MOCA Networking Adapter

Hello Everyone

I was thinking of switching out from Wireless AP Bridges to connect all my TVIO's and switching over to MOCA Adapters.

What specific adapter are people using now? I looked up the NEtgear MOCA Adapter and it appears to be discontinued.

Thanks
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
poppagene
User

I use old actiontec mi424wr routers for verizon fios available on ebay and I convert them into moca bridges/access points using the steps outlined at dslreports. See http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C1JC4O

Seems to work pretty well with the built in MoCa inside my Elite.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
retired_guy

I also paired an ActionTec ECB2500C, connected by ethernet to my router, coax in from a splitter and coax out to a TV, with the remote Elite's MoCa adapter. And then I ran ethernet out from the remote Elite to a switch and on to a S3 and a Sony BlueRay player. Works great and with better performance than the 5GHz bridge I used to use.
The Comcast coax coming into my house is split at the router three ways, to the ActionTec, a Comcast Gateway and a TiVo Premiere. At the Elite's end the coax is split between the Elite and the S3.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime

Last edited by retired_guy : 10-10-2012 at 05:02 PM.
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
SNJpage1

I am not familiar with this device and would like to ask a question about it. It sounds as if it piggy backs the ethernet signal onto the a working coax. Does it add a channel to the TV signal as a signal injector does when you want to add a private channel to a coax signal or does it pick a freq that is out of the range that coax uses for tv signal
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
retired_guy

It uses separate frequencies which don't conflict with the cable TV channels or the cable phone serivce. More than two adapters can be used for multiple rooms. MoCa makes streaming work so well it's very close to feeling like remote recordings are playing from your local TiVo. My ethernet cable from the MoCa adapter to the router is Cat 6 cable since that tranfer is well over 100Mbps.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime

Last edited by retired_guy : 10-10-2012 at 08:48 PM.
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
ghuido

Can you connect the ECB2500C to a swith to enable multiple network devices (Wii, Blue Ray and Tivo) to run through the MOCA Adapter?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. It's just a bridge that converts Ethernet to coax. Think of it as a way to convert your coax cables into Ethernet cables. Anything that would run across the Ethernet cable will now run across coax instead.

Dan
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
ghuido

What is this specific limitation?

" Network Size 15 Devices (including NC) "

Is that 15 MOCA Adpaters or only 15 Network Devices attached through MOCA?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's 15 MoCa adapters connected to the coax. You can have as many Ethernet devices as you want connected to the bridge.

Dan
Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I am not familiar with this device and would like to ask a question about it. It sounds as if it piggy backs the ethernet signal onto the a working coax. Does it add a channel to the TV signal as a signal injector does when you want to add a private channel to a coax signal or does it pick a freq that is out of the range that coax uses for tv signal
It's sort of a DSL style approach.

It uses the frequencies above the frequencies the wire involved uses for what it was originally intended to carry.

So DSL uses frequencies above 3,000Hz and MoCA uses frequencies above 1,000,000,000Hz.

Also known as 3kHz and 1GHz.

Cable modems use chunks of bandwidth the same size as television channels (6MHz), but at frequencies below where the TV channels start (usually 54MHz).

I do not know if MoCA uses discreet 6MHz slots or not.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I do not know if MoCA uses discreet 6MHz slots or not.
No. MoCa is based on the HomePlug standard which uses mimo technology similar to 802.11N. Cable modems use DOCSIS which uses a different method to multiplex multiple frequencies into a single pipe.

Dan
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
smoberly

Do I need matching MOCA adapters?

So...a recent furniture move and internet service provider change has me reconfiguring my connectivity needs....and frankly, wireless streaming between my Premieres has been unsuccessful...so I plan to kill two birds with one stone.

I'll need three MOCA adapters...one at the router, and 1 each at the Premiere locations...right?

I am pricing adapters on eBay and my question is....is a MOCA adapter a MOCA adapter? Do I need three of the same type/model or if I find three different models/brands on eBay, will they all be able to communicate with each other?
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
So...a recent furniture move and internet service provider change has me reconfiguring my connectivity needs....and frankly, wireless streaming between my Premieres has been unsuccessful...so I plan to kill two birds with one stone.

I'll need three MOCA adapters...one at the router, and 1 each at the Premiere locations...right?

I am pricing adapters on eBay and my question is....is a MOCA adapter a MOCA adapter? Do I need three of the same type/model or if I find three different models/brands on eBay, will they all be able to communicate with each other?
brand should not matter, but don't use the directv variant (sometimes called DECA) which is not interchangeable. Also there are ways to configure Verizon FIOS routers (usually actiontec MI424WR) to act in place of a MOCA adapter. See http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
eDbolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post

I believe any MOCA adapter will work with others, as it is a standard. If you have Premier 4 or XL4 (Elite), it already has MOCA. Otherwise, you are correct - you will need a MOCA adapter at each location you have Coax but no ethernet wiring.
eDbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
csell

Might not be the best thread to ask the question, but I have a question regarding the installation and general understanding of a MOCA...

My setup at home is this - in our office/spare bedroom, a single coxial cable comes in from the outside. That goes into a cable modem. Coming out of that is the ethernet cable (which goes into a router but we can ignore that for this purpose). Now here is where I'm getting confused. I believe the ehternet coming out of the cable modem should go into the MOCA, correct? What now? It sounds like you then have to connect the coxial out of the MOCA to something, but what? I cannot figure this part out. I've looked at the diagrams but I can't get a grasp on that aspect of it. I totally get the part with connecting it to the Tivo, but I'm confused on the other part.

Thanks
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Arcady
Stargate Fan

MoCA turns ethernet into a signal that is carried on your coax wiring. What you basically need to understand is that the internet signal carried over coax to the cable modem has nothing to do with the MoCA signal which is also carried over coax.

You need two things for MoCA to work with a TiVo.
1. A connection from your ethernet network to the MoCA network (MoCA adapter plugged into ethernet)
2. A connection for the TiVo (MoCA adapter plugged into ethernet on the TiVo or a TiVo with on-board MoCA)

You say the coax comes in from outside and then connects to the cable modem. Where does that coax go? If it goes to a splitter somewhere that also connects to the other rooms in your house, then you can connect a MoCA adapter to that coax, along with the cable modem, and plug ethernet from the MoCA adapter into the cable modem or router. In the other room where the TiVo is, connect a MoCA adapter to the coax, along with the TiVo, and connect ethernet from the adapter to the TiVo. (Or use a TiVo with onboard MoCA.)
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
MoCA turns ethernet into a signal that is carried on your coax wiring. What you basically need to understand is that the internet signal carried over coax to the cable modem has nothing to do with the MoCA signal which is also carried over coax.

You need two things for MoCA to work with a TiVo.
1. A connection from your ethernet network to the MoCA network (MoCA adapter plugged into ethernet)
2. A connection for the TiVo (MoCA adapter plugged into ethernet on the TiVo or a TiVo with on-board MoCA)

You say the coax comes in from outside and then connects to the cable modem. Where does that coax go? If it goes to a splitter somewhere that also connects to the other rooms in your house, then you can connect a MoCA adapter to that coax, along with the cable modem, and plug ethernet from the MoCA adapter into the cable modem or router. In the other room where the TiVo is, connect a MoCA adapter to the coax, along with the TiVo, and connect ethernet from the adapter to the TiVo. (Or use a TiVo with onboard MoCA.)

I put a little bit more thought into it I believe this is the exact setup -

Main coaxial cable comes into the basement. Immediately hits a 3-way splitter. Two come out and go through the house to various TV's (might be more splitters elsewhere). The 3rd coaxial cable from the splitter immediately goes back outside and up the house and into the office/spare bedroom. It then goes into the cable modem.

Now I'm trying to figure out where the main Moca goes (I understand the one that connects to the Tivo). Will that go right after when it enters the basement and before it splits and ultimately heads up to the office. Or can it go in the office before hitting the cable modem.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Arcady
Stargate Fan

It can go anywhere on the coax that is close enough to plug the ethernet into your router.

Be sure there are no powered/amplified splitters anywhere in the coax run where MoCA signals need to travel.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
csell

Quote:
It can go anywhere on the coax that is close enough to plug the ethernet into your router.

Be sure there are no powered/amplified splitters anywhere in the coax run where MoCA signals need to travel.
My Tivo does use a powered amplifier. My setup is this - Coaxial comes out the wall into an amplifier then into a splitter with one going into the Tivo and the other into the cablebox. Can a workaround be:

Coaxial comes out the wall into the Moca. Ethernet comes out of the Moca and into the Tivo. Coaxial comes out of the Moca and into the amplifier and then split to the cable box and Tivo. Does that work?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
lessd

Quote:

My coax comes from the outside to a 8 way (two way) power splitter (+3.5DB per output), one output goes directly to the cable phone/modem that is next to my router the others goes to other rooms in my home, each of my 4 TiVos is feed directly from one of the outputs. Will the MoCA work on such a system. This amp goes back out the cable at 0Db for back commination with the cable co for such things as On Demand from a cable box and upload from the cable modem/telephone etc. Also would I need some type of blocker I see as an accessory to go with the MoCA.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
My coax comes from the outside to a 8 way (two way) power splitter (+3.5DB per output), one output goes directly to the cable phone/modem that is next to my router the others goes to other rooms in my home, each of my 4 TiVos is feed directly from one of the outputs. Will the MoCA work on such a system.
It may. Indeed, the odds are fairly good it will, as long as the amp is rated for at least 1000MHz. Internally, the amp probably consists of an 8-way splitter fed by the amplifier section. If this is the case, and the splitter can handle 1000MHz or better, there is a good chance it will work.

Quote:
Also would I need some type of blocker I see as an accessory to go with the MoCA.
Probably not, but it won't hurt, as long as the pass-band of the filter is above the highest channel on the CATV system but at least in part below the rated bandwidth of the amp. It may very significantly reduce the nose in the MoCA spectrum, which can help a lot.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
My Tivo does use a powered amplifier. My setup is this - Coaxial comes out the wall into an amplifier then into a splitter with one going into the Tivo and the other into the cablebox. Can a workaround be:
Why do you think you need an amplifier? Chances are you do not, especially with only a single 2-way splitter.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Why do you think you need an amplifier? Chances are you do not, especially with only a single 2-way splitter.
It was installed by the cable company because the signal strength was so weak.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
Arcady
Stargate Fan

As long as the MoCA signals are all on the amplified side of the powered splitter, it will work. I have a powered splitter where my coax enters the house. MoCA runs across the legs of that splitter just fine, but won't travel to the input side of the splitter.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a strange setup. I have one leg that goes under the house. In the middle of the house it is split, one side goes upstairs the other continues under the house to the living room. I have seperate amps on both sides of the splitter which are the remote powered kind that inject power into the coax. Even with it setup that way MoCa still works fine for connecting the downstairs leg to the upstairs. Going through both amplifiers.

Dan
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #27
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Maybe not all powered amps break MoCA. I know the ones I have do.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
lessd

Quote:
Maybe not all powered amps break MoCA. I know the ones I have do.
Most cable amps are now two way to handle cable modems/On Demand from a cable boxes etc., so MoCA should pass through them yes/no ??

Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Both of mine are specifically two way. I had one before that was not and the cable company started calling me complaining that the cable box was not calling home properly. One of the two I have even amplifies the return channel.

Dan
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
lew

Quote:
Most cable amps are now two way to handle cable modems/On Demand from a cable boxes etc., so MoCA should pass through them yes/no ??
Ones installed by the cable company yes. Old amps bought in Radio Shack years ago maybe not.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote