TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
AintHurtinNobody

Need image for Tivo Premeire 320GB

From poking around on this forum and using the The Google, I think I know the answer to my question before I even ask it, but I'm going to check to see if any of the smarter folks on here have a better idea than me.

I bought the Tivo Premiere TCD746320 from Woot! in September. A couple of weeks ago I got the GSOD. It was making it to the screen that means, per my understanding, that it was reading from the drive. The kickstart codes did nothing, it just kept looping. After a few days, I used winmfs tools on it, which I realize screws it up -- but it wasn't working anyway, so...

I've come to accept the fact that the only way to fix the drive is to do a bit-for-bit copy from a good one. But most of the options to do that don't make sense for me.

You see, I bought the Tivo really just to use as an OTA converter box. We recently cut the cord, and we have an older Mitsubishi HD projection TV that is HD (1080i) but has an analog tuner. So I just wanted a simple HD tuner for the remainder of the TV's lifespan (it is impossible to find HD OTA standalone tuners). So I was using the Tivo without subscription. It gave me the channels, without the guide and DVR, of course, but we really didn't have a lot of need for that, anyway.

Because I don't want/need the subscription, buying an upgraded drive makes zero sense to me (especially considering they are 3x what I paid for the Tivo). And I thought about borrowing one from Best Buy, etc., to copy the drive, but the 320GB can't be found in B&Ms (wonder why it was on Woot?).

The closest reasonable option I've found would be to buy a used one on eBay and copy it. By the time I pay shipping, though, a used one will cost as much as I paid for this one.

So, does anyone have any better ideas than me just adding a 320GB, $55 drive to my PC and move on to some other solution (HTPC?)?

Last edited by AintHurtinNobody : 03-03-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo, which I cannot tolerate.
AintHurtinNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

As far as an image, there is not one currently available but I think another forum member is working on creating one. You might ask over in the Premiere upgrade thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote