TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
Leh0287

Exclamation TiVo Series2: "Searching for signal on: Basic Cable In."

I just set up my TiVo Series 2 single tuner TiVo with basic cable and a digital converter box. I chose "cable without a box." I actually made it through Guided Setup (which proved difficult before). I was so excited, then found that I could not watch live TV. The message "searching for signal on: basic cable in." shows up on every channel.

It will only show one channel. Channel 4. This is the same channel the converter box is set to. It is showing the ABC channel when the TiVo guide thinks its HSN.

The wiring is as follows:
Cable from wall->digital converter box
Cable from box->TiVo
AV Cord from TiVo-> TV

I then tried to set it up as "antenna with box." This gave me what looked like the option to change channels, but the same channel showed up each time I "changed" the channel.

Side note: this is a used TiVo purchased from eBay. The TV I'm connecting it to has been previously used with the digital converter box with no issues.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. I'm assuming I just need to pick the correct setup option. What would that be for basic cable with a digital converter box?

If you think it's something besides that, let me know any other suggestions. Please! Kinda ready to pull my hair out
Leh0287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
supasta

Here is the TiVo Support Page:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1277

You actually need to choose Cable WITH Box, according to the linked page.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Did the TiVo come with an "IR blaster"? If not, you will need to acquire one or you might be able to use a direct control cable. The TiVo needs to be able to change the channel on the box.

What is the model number of the cable box? Does it have a/v out or just coax?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Leh0287

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Did the TiVo come with an "IR blaster"? If not, you will need to acquire one or you might be able to use a direct control cable. The TiVo needs to be able to change the channel on the box.

What is the model number of the cable box? Does it have a/v out or just coax?
I received an IR sensor of some sort. It's not one that clamps onto the box where the IR sensor is. It's a single sensor.. Pretty small. It actually looks just like the sensor the digital converter box can with.

It has A/V and coax.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leh0287 View Post
I received an IR sensor of some sort. It's not one that clamps onto the box where the IR sensor is. It's a single sensor.. Pretty small. It actually looks just like the sensor the digital converter box can with.

It has A/V and coax.
You need something that looks like this:

You should use a/v cables to connect the a/v out of the cable box to the a/v in of the TiVo and not use the coax in of the TiVo. After doing that and setting up the IR blaster (it is not a sensor. Instructions here), You will need to re-run guided setup. As supasta said, you need to select "Cable with box", connected via a/v. For that, you will need the brand and model number of the box.

You can buy an IR blaster from a number of places, including TiVo, weaKnees, Amazon, or eBay.

If the cable box has a remote IR sensor, you may be able to use a direct connect cable instead of an IR blaster. What is the brand and model number of the cable box?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Leh0287

You should use a/v cables to connect the a/v out of the cable box to the a/v in of the TiVo and not use the coax in of the TiVo. After doing that and setting up the IR blaster (it is not a sensor., You will need to re-run guided setup. As supasta said, you need to select "Cable with box", connected via a/v. For that, you will need the brand and model number of the box.

You can buy an IR blaster from a number of places, including TiVo, weaKnees, Amazon, or eBay.

If the cable box has a remote IR sensor, you may be able to use a direct connect cable instead of an IR blaster. What is the brand and model number of the cable box?[/quote]

It's a Series 2 by Scientific Atlantic. If its possible to use the remote IR, could you walk me through that? I would love to not have to buy anything else.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leh0287 View Post
It's a Series 2 by Scientific Atlantic. If its possible to use the remote IR, could you walk me through that? I would love to not have to buy anything else.
"Series 2" is not a model number and more than likely refers to the TiVo, not the cable box. There should be a label on the box with model number on it. Examples would be 4200 or 8500.

I have no idea why you would have received a remote IR sensor with your TiVo. I know some of the older model TiVos put out IR from the front so perhaps you're supposed to plug the remote sensor into the cable box and then place the other end in front of the TiVo. It's possible that would work but I don't know anyone who has ever done it that way.

If that doesn't work, you will have to buy something, either an IR blaster or a direct connect cable, if there is one available that will work with your model cable box.