TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
pmyers

Top Chef: Seattle Entire Season Thread

It looks like we've gone back and forth with a season thread vs episode thread so I'm starting a Season thread but we can always change if people want.

I like the start of this season with the judges picking who goes.

Was sad not to see any Padma though!
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I really enjoyed this episode more than any 1st episode I can remember.

I thought everyone's omelette looked mediocre. I was disappointed in that challenge because it seemed like he ended up judging based on the stuff they put in there other than egg. I would have sent most or all of them home.

I've been to Star Noodle in Maui. It was very good. It has to be good - the location is odd (business park, no view) and the wait is long. I think it took us 45 minutes to get in.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
pmyers

yeah...you'll have to watch to understand.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
pmyers

I think Collicio had the hardest challange as they were actually working in a functioning kitchen rather than just preparing a dish on their own.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks, i hadn't realized it was on either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

SPs won't pick it up because the city is added to the show title. Annoying!

But I did catch it. I also thought everyone's omelette looked bad. And some of those soups were barely soups.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
SPs won't pick it up because the city is added to the show title. Annoying!

But I did catch it. I also thought everyone's omelette looked bad. And some of those soups were barely soups.
I'm used to soups like those. Thin and brothy types. I thought they all looked tasty.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
sharkster

I posted this show, a while back, in the 'Season Passes' forum. Not only was the name changed (again!), but it was acting kind of weird for a while so, even after I started a new SP for this season, it wasn't picking it up. It seems to be worked out now.

Anyway, as to S10E01, it was pretty good the way they began the choosing. One thing I liked about that was that it was concentrated on only 5 or 6 people at a time. When seasons start with so many contestants, I have a hard time really noticing anybody.

When I first heard that Puck was going to be a judge I didn't really see that as a positive, as I think he's kind of a d!ck, but I liked him in this episode. I like Unibrow guy (although he initially did have to grow on me when he was a cheftestant!), so good to see him.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I watched it tonight. Thought the one guys gazapacho was going to fall on the other chefs head when it was in the freezer. They had a shot of the chef putting in on a shelf and then another shot when a female chef went in there of the same pan, only it was way up high and half off the shelf.

I liked how each judge had different methods of determining who to go and who to stay and Tom's was probably the toughest. It will be an interesting season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I liked how each judge had different methods of determining who to go and who to stay and Tom's was probably the toughest. It will be an interesting season.
I wonder if the judges have side bets going to see if the cheftestant they pick to be on the show wins it all.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I really enjoyed this episode more than any 1st episode I can remember.

I thought everyone's omelette looked mediocre. I was disappointed in that challenge because it seemed like he ended up judging based on the stuff they put in there other than egg. I would have sent most or all of them home.

I've been to Star Noodle in Maui. It was very good. It has to be good - the location is odd (business park, no view) and the wait is long. I think it took us 45 minutes to get in.
Everyone's omelet looked terrible. I can make a better omelet in 10 minutes than all of those people made in 45.

You don't put **** in omelets! It's just egg and butter and salt!

In the short clip during the commercials, they showed WP make an omelet and my gf says "Hey - that looks exactly like your omelets!"

I would have taken any of the soup people over all of the omelet people.

Is it just me or does it seem like there weren't many contestants chosen? I didn't keep track - it just looked low.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
It seemed like, but I didn't keep track, that one chef let only one person go, while another let 2 or 3 go. I wonder if there will be another trial like this one to choose some more chefs.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Everyone's omelet looked terrible. I can make a better omelet in 10 minutes than all of those people made in 45.

You don't put **** in omelets! It's just egg and butter and salt!

In the short clip during the commercials, they showed WP make an omelet and my gf says "Hey - that looks exactly like your omelets!"

I would have taken any of the soup people over all of the omelet people.

Is it just me or does it seem like there weren't many contestants chosen? I didn't keep track - it just looked low.
I thought his omelet looked a little bit too brown on one side. I am also of the butter and salt camp. MAYBE some fresh thyme or similar.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

I'll agree about the omelets. Only one of them looked like something I'd actually eat.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
I thought his omelet looked a little bit too brown on one side. I am also of the butter and salt camp. MAYBE some fresh thyme or similar.
Yes it was a little more brown than I like - a tiny bit of browning on the top of the folds is OK, but I try to stay away from even that...I was just happy that she compared me to WP.

A good French Omelet doesn't need anything else. You haven't eaten an omelet until you've had one the right way. They're amazing
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
sharkster

Seeing your posts about the ometlets I recall thinking, at the time, that no chef would push through a totally brown omelet. I don't like eggs, so I'm not a connoisseur of omelets, but I know how they are supposed to be and I only recall seeing one that was correct (sloppy, but cooked properly).

I fully expected WP to send 'em all home.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
A good French Omelet doesn't need anything else. You haven't eaten an omelet until you've had one the right way. They're amazing
Yeah. I used to make them a lot that way. My wife doesn't like slightly runny eggs though so it's hard to motivate to make one regularly anymore. For a while I was making them several times a week so would put a bit of something else on them to keep the excitement going, but you are right that it is not needed. I've also used a tiny amount of truffle salt as a finishing salt.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
Agatha Mystery

I'm sure most of them are used to making omelettes at home, in a non-stick pan and they didn't have one of those. So, they all had problems with sticking. At least Puck taught them how to do it right in one of his skillets. My husband thought that WP was kind of funny. "If you're missing something, it's because I ate it." I'm a fan of Hugh. His blogs after the fact are always funny. Tom's challenge was interesting, in that he was putting people into making something they aren't used to making, recipe wise. I think he was just trying to gauge skill in the kitchen, and not the recipes in their heads. I think it was interesting that he sent someone forward so quickly.

I'm going to feel sorry for the guy who made the show and is now going to miss the birth of his child. I have a feeling he isn't going to do well, and is going to be stuck in a hotel, waiting for the show to come to its conclusion, before he gets to go home and talk to his wife. They aren't allowed to talk about how they are doing, since things are recorded early, to prevent people who are betting on the outcome from being able to cheat.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
sharkster

I always have kind of a torn feeling about the ones who say they will miss the birth of their kid while they are on the show. REALLY? You're already a chef, so you are employable (and they usually ARE employed), and maybe if the timing works out badly for a season of TC you could wait until the next one comes around (?).

I don't know - I don't have kids and I'm not a guy but I would think that if I WERE a guy I would want to be there with my wife for the birth of my kid MORE than I would want to be on a TV show. If I were his wife I think I would want to know that the birth of our kid is more important than some TV show. Maybe I'd be fine with agreeing for him follow this 'dream' or whatever, but I would want him to prefer to be there for the labor and the birth.

Who knows. Maybe that's the way it went down - he said 'no, I want to be here for you' and she said 'well, I'm glad you do but I want you to be able to take advantage of this opportunity, so go ahead and do it'.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Agatha Mystery

Well for some of these chefs it makes a HUGE difference in their career for being on the show. It's almost like a military deployment. If you think it is going to help your family out in the long run, I can see you being willing to do it as well as your family supporting it.

If things are especially tight, money wise, the incentive is even greater.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

To me, it's interesting a guy like John Tesar is on this show. He's pretty well established and has run some well known places in Dallas. Of course, he's had a colorful past.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Sorry Agatha, but we're talking about professional chefs here - and NO self-respecting chef would EVER use a non-stick pan!

A properly seasoned skillet is the only way they would cook - at home or otherwise - and they would know how to use oil or other fats to get the best result.

They just failed under the pressure of competition, or more likely, it's been so long since they were called upon to make something as straightforward, they got the details wrong.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Sorry Agatha, but we're talking about professional chefs here - and NO self-respecting chef would EVER use a non-stick pan!
I've been in a lot of really high end kitchens, and seen a lot of nonstick pans. Just sayin'
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Favorite line of the night, as she was packing her knives: "I'm not just a chef and nutritionist, I'm a movement!"
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
bryhamm
randomize

Crap. Didn't realize this started. How many eps have I missed?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Just one. Should be pretty easy to find the ep in rotation
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #27
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Just one. Should be pretty easy to find the ep in rotation
Just set up the SP and chose "both". Hopefully I get the 1st ep, but if not I haven't missed that much.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

They almost always repeat the previous episode before the new one on a Wednesday night, so you shouldn't have a problem getting two this week.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
I've been in a lot of really high end kitchens, and seen a lot of nonstick pans. Just sayin'
Yup. I saw an article not too long ago where Gary Danko and a few others were talking about this. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a misnomer but there certainly are high end restaurants where non-stick is used.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Yup. I saw an article not too long ago where Gary Danko and a few others were talking about this. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a misnomer but there certainly are high end restaurants where non-stick is used.
The application I've seen them used the most for is scallops. But I've been in no end of high-end kitchens with stacks of non-stick pans for just these sorts of things. The ones I can specifically think of were Galatoire's and Arnaud's in New Orleans, and Per Se in NYC. I think I even have a picture of them from Arnaud's.

Just because it's not always needed doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense to use them.