• Soap star Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson
  • Disney Channel star Zendaya Coleman and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
  • Comedian Andy Dick and Sharna Burgess
  • Reality star Lisa Vanderpump and new pro Gleb Savchenko
  • Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman and Mark Ballas
  • Olympic skater Dorothy Hamill and Tristan MacManus
  • Comedian D.L. Hughley and Cheryl Burke
  • NFL star Jacoby Jones and Karina Smirnoff

The comments over on ABC.com are, of course, full of comments from little whiners who say this is the worst cast ever, their favorite pros are missing, yada yada yada.

I for one am happy to see the new pros being stirred into the mix. The pros have their own careers, and I think it's good both for them and for the show if they are able to take some time off. If no one one had left the show since Season 1 or 2, then we wouldn't have seen Chelsie Hightower, because there wouldn't have been a place for her, you know?

Out of 11 people, I have four to root for (and one of them is in the holy crap, I can't believe it, jaw-dropping happy category), so I'm plenty happy. I guess that proves I'm an old fart, and shows why the babies are already whining WORST CAST EVER.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
tem

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
(and one of them is in the holy crap, I can't believe it, jaw-dropping happy category)
It's hard not to love Andy Dick.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Ment

Might have to watch this to see if Andy Dick goes on a bender..
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Might have to watch this to see if Andy Dick goes on a bender..
I'd prefer just to read the reports of it and not watch the actual "performance".
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
InterMurph

And the winner is:

What did Tony Dovolani ever do to deserve this (partial) list of partners?
  • Leeza Gibbons
  • Susan Lucci
  • Kate Gosselin
  • Wendy Williams
  • Martina Navratilova
  • Wynonna Judd

Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Count me in as one of the "babies" then because no one listed interests me even remotely.
I am hugely disappointed.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Count me in as one of the "babies" then because no one listed interests me even remotely.
Yes, but there's a huge difference between saying "I am hugely disappointed" (which is completely fair) and WORST CAST EVER.

In your case you say there is no one you are interested in watching. But someone saying that a cast is the worst ever, it says that no one should watch.

I haven't really kept a log book of Tristan's choreography, but if he has any kind of facility at teaching and choreographing the smooth dances, and Dorothy Hamill can bring even 75% of the grace and elegance I've seen on the ice, then we'll have some exquisite performances this season.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
And the winner is:

What did Tony Dovolani ever do to deserve this (partial) list of partners?
  • Leeza Gibbons
  • Susan Lucci
  • Kate Gosselin
  • Wendy Williams
  • Martina Navratilova
  • Wynonna Judd
I agree with your pick. Poor Tony lucked out last season and got someone who could dance, and who could bring in the "sympathy" votes. I was glad she won, and she was deserving, but I thought the other two were better. Don't write off Wynonna yet... we haven't seen her dance (though I'm betting she's a dud). Tony must be the go-to guy for "problem children".

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
alpacaboy

I still haven't found time to watch the all-stars season, and I _wanted_ to see that.
I like Kym and Karina, but probably not enough to watch this season.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I'm with you, I don't care about a single one of these "stars". I'm out.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The comments over on ABC.com are, of course, full of comments from little whiners who say this is the worst cast ever, their favorite pros are missing, yada yada yada.

I for one am happy to see the new pros being stirred into the mix. The pros have their own careers, and I think it's good both for them and for the show if they are able to take some time off. If no one one had left the show since Season 1 or 2, then we wouldn't have seen Chelsie Hightower, because there wouldn't have been a place for her, you know?
Then again, who knows which pros chose to stay off and which ones wanted to do it but were left out. I still find it highly "coincidental" that Chelsie Hightower was left out for one season after wanting to be in the first All-Stars season of So You Think You Can Dance? (and, on top of that, she only appeared on one SYTYCD episode, and, in a break with that show's tradition, was always called "Chelsie Hightower" and not just "Chelsie").
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
jradosh
Newlywed

Jan's on a role lately... 'babies', 'whiners', 'schlubs' (another thread)... express a negative thought and feel her wrath!

I'm saddened that DWTS went the train-wreck route with Andy Dick. I have no desire to hear him interviewed post-dance... let alone watch him dance.

And yet another "Disney child star"? Sure... ABC and Disney are owned by the same company but puleeze...

Go Dorothy Go!!! (does she still have the same haircut? That was SO iconic in the day. I remember all the girls at school getting that cut one year. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
zalusky

I have other stuff on Monday nights and Tuesday nights so I might not be watching regularly either. This is a show where there is so much filler and bloviating that I much prefer to watch it via DVR and compress the show by 80%.

Let's see introduce the judges, rehearsal package, judges review, walk upstairs and have a back stage interview, commercials, and more commercials. Typically the routine is what 90 seconds and it takes them at least 10 minutes per couple. There is a lot of waste. It is not a show to be watched live.

BTW it was reported that it was not Chelsie's choice. So they don't like her for various reason or they don't feel she is cutting for the demo they need just like you don't see Lacy as much anymore perhaps they are having a feud with Nigel.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post

I'm saddened that DWTS went the train-wreck route with Andy Dick. I have no desire to hear him interviewed post-dance... let alone watch him dance.
What demographic could they possibly be hoping to attract by casting Andy Dick? Nobody enjoys him and lots of people actively hate him. His agent must have signed a deal with the devil to keep him working. He is probably going to make the other stars and pros and judges and announcers miserable. And be a nightmare for producers to wrangle. Maybe Dick paid DWTS instead of vice versa. I understand casting controversial characters like Palin or Chaz Bono because they have both fans and foes, but who is a fan of Andy Dick?
Spoiler about what other job he has had recently. His role ruined the show for me completely.

Spoiler:
He was on Two Broke Girls last week

tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Jan's on a role lately... 'babies', 'whiners', 'schlubs' (another thread)... express a negative thought and feel her wrath!
Nothing brightens up your morning like going online and seeing everybody trashing the stuff you like, you know?

Quote:

And yet another "Disney child star"? Sure... ABC and Disney are owned by the same company but puleeze...
Look at the big picture. I don't expect Andy Dick to last very long. We will have D. L. to make jokes after he's gone. (Have they cast two comedians before? Can't remember....)

And the last time I said "not another Disney star", the kid turned out to be really good and fun to watch. So you never know.

Quote:
Go Dorothy Go!!! (does she still have the same haircut? That was SO iconic in the day. I remember all the girls at school getting that cut one year. )
She has updated her haircut, but still looks fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
What demographic could they possibly be hoping to attract by casting Andy Dick? Nobody enjoys him and lots of people actively hate him.
He's in the role of the person we love to hate. I agree that it's a stupid idea, because who wants to attract the demographic of people who deliberately vote for someone bad, just to screw up the competition?

And I do agree with zalusky that the packaging is getting really tiresome. Even so, I still want to see the performances. <shrug>

You never know when someone is going to really surprise you, like Evan Lysacek's tango. And even though you often have to sit through a bunch of crappy performances in order to get there, the really good moments can make it worthwhile.

P.S. to zalusky. Feud with Nigel?

Last edited by murgatroyd : 02-27-2013 at 11:29 AM.
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
BTW it was reported that it was not Chelsie's choice. So they don't like her for various reason or they don't feel she is cutting for the demo they need just like you don't see Lacy as much anymore perhaps they are having a feud with Nigel.
If that were true, then why have SYTYCD Season 9's Lindsay - er, Lindsay Arnold as one of the new professionals?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

No Louis. No Maks.

I am sad.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
swinca
Menace to society

I only recognize 4 of the 11. I feel so out of touch!

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
If that were true, then why have SYTYCD Season 9's Lindsay - er, Lindsay Arnold as one of the new professionals?
It was more a joke than anything because it seems like the SYTYCD pro crossovers are disappearing: Chelsie, Lacy, Dimitry and since Chelsie was video quoted by TMZ that it was not her choice when it came to coming back.

I just think ABC wants to shake things up with new blood because they see the competition and the ratings dropping. They probably have done all sorts of analysis on which pro's are drawing viewers.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
No Louis. No Maks.

I am sad.
Me too, but maybe if they come back, they'll be better for taking a break from the show.

IMHO Louis is a much better teacher now than he was on the first season of DwtS. Going off to do other work, then coming back, was good for him.