TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
leiff

experience setting up my harmony - any suggestions?

Set up my harmony 650 to my Tivo premier for the first time. Went ok. I used My harmony instead of logitech software. Any limitations using this I should know about? It seems my harmony offers less customization's, for instance I seem to have lost ability to turn off back up assistant.
When setting up harmony, I chose premier remote as remote. I was able to teach it missing "list" function because I had an old Directv remote hanging around. From default config: the obvious changes that needed to be made were assigning exit as zoom, and menu as Tivo, to get Remote resembling normal. Next I was able to reclaim the green @ return buttons as they did nothing. I assigned a button as a 7 press 30 skip button as a macro to skip commercials and assigned another macro someone posted "SE-PL_SE-9-SE to display clock.
Any one have any tips for other tweaking/macros? I like the harmony 650, it seems every bit as responsive as my blutooth slide remote. I have two rooms conected to the Tivo. Now I can keep the slide remote in the second far off room and keep the harmony in the TV room with the Tivo.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

I'm a bit of a nut about finding the remote, so I have four 700's (like the 650, with rechargeable batteries) at strategic locations in our extended viewing area. I have always used the Logitech setup software, and have it set to operate the entire entertainment system: TV on front projector via TiVo & a Receiver, Blu-Ray, DVD/VCR, Receiver AM/FM, etc.

I have never had to teach it IR -- all of the unit functions I've ever needed are there, but sometimes not yet attached to keys. For instance the TiVo Clear function is there, but may not be assigned to the + key by default. I usually add favorite channels to the remote's screen, and common functions, like tray open-close on Blu-Ray & DVD, again they are defined, but not assigned or as I would want them.

So if the alternate software is limiting your options, switch to the Logitech version.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
mpf541

I have used harmony remotes for years now. They are great and always control the tivo properly. I may have had to add a command that was not there but right now I am using the Touch remote and it just worked.
mpf541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Teeps

So what's the difference between My Harmony and Logictech software?

The on line guided My Harmony setup is the most aggravating experience ever... at least it has been for me. But alas nothing compares to the Harmony remote hardware. So, I grin and muddle through it...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
bigjschramm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am new to the community and to Tivo and this thread seems to be spot on for my problem.
I have a Series 4 platform system. Set up my Harmony 650 with the Logitech software and can get everything to work fine except the 3-0 keys. 1 and 2 work fine. Have adjusted the delay to 0. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for the help.
bigjschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjschramm View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am new to the community and to Tivo and this thread seems to be spot on for my problem.
I have a Series 4 platform system. Set up my Harmony 650 with the Logitech software and can get everything to work fine except the 3-0 keys. 1 and 2 work fine. Have adjusted the delay to 0. What am I doing wrong.
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, but there are many TiVo definitions in the Logitech database. Try others that should be compatible: Premiere, Premiere 4, Premier XL, Premiere XL4. You probably want to edit the key assignments anyway, as not all of them have the E and - defined in the lower corners of the keypad, but they are there as assignable functions.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjschramm View Post

Thanks for the help.
Use IR learn with the original TiVo remote and set the buttons manually.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, but there are many TiVo definitions in the Logitech database. Try others that should be compatible: Premiere, Premiere 4, Premier XL, Premiere XL4. You probably want to edit the key assignments anyway, as not all of them have the E and - defined in the lower corners of the keypad, but they are there as assignable functions.
I use my original Series 3 device for my XL4 and it works great. Even gave me access to the NPL (aka: My Shows) with a single button push.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
tomhorsley

Here's my experience with my original Harmony 628:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/...y/harmony.html

I have a newer harmony I use in a different room and possibly it wasn't quite as irritating as the older 628 setup software, but it hadn't improved a whole lot.

They do work great once you get them setup though.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote