TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #61
JWhites

me too Dan. Tired of waiting. Got an android tablet I really want to start putting to good use.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #62
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree. Not supporting Android at launch was understandable. Not supporting it 8 months later is a bit ridiculous. They said they were working on it last November. Seems like it should really be done by now.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #63
JWhites

I asked someone in TiVo earlier today and they said they've been getting nonstop complaints about the lack of Android support and was told "it's coming extremely soon" so that's a good sign right?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #64
Dan203
Super Moderator

I hope so.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #65
Arcady
Stargate Fan

There's no way they sold enough of these to continue development.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #66
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
There's no way they sold enough of these to continue development.
Why do you say that? Do you have any data on how many they sold?

Plus there is some pretty solid evidence that Stream functionality will be built in to the next generation units, so they wont have to sell standalone TiVo Streams forever to maintain demand for the software.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #67
Austin Bike

This has little to do with the install base and everything to do with future sales. Look at how many cable dvrs have mobile apps and offer access everywhere. This is all about selling more premiere units and not about selling streams. I would not be surprised if the functionality is built into units directly one day and stream standalone units become orphans, just like the original CDROM drives were (anyone remember when they were all external?)

This will be about keeping up with the joneses from a feature checklist perspective.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #68
Dan203
Super Moderator

But you said that there is no way they sold enough to continue development. If the next gen has it built in then every TiVo will essentially be a Stream and there will be plenty of them to continue development. The standalone hardware may have a limited life span but the software seems to be part of their next gen plan, so there is plenty of reason to contiue development.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #69
Austin Bike

Yes, Ethernet used to be an add on. Two tuners used to be a "premium" model, HD was a "premium" model. When I bought my HD most of the country was probably still on CRT TVs.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #70
rainwater

It is really sad that there has been no news on Android or a web based version. It's easy to see why there is no Android version. Even the base TiVo app for Android is light years behind the iOS version.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #71
jrtroo
User

That is the effect of no development, not the cause.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #72
BigJimOutlaw

From Zatz:

"PSA: Anonymous tipster, who I can’t vouch for, claims we’re on for November with broader Android device support than one might expect from the first iteration of a video stream app on that platform."
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #73
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
From Zatz:

"PSA: Anonymous tipster, who I can’t vouch for, claims we’re on for November with broader Android device support than one might expect from the first iteration of a video stream app on that platform."
If this rumor is true, and we factor in TiVo's traditional and customary and predictable and typical and usual delays, we should realistically see this in the Spring of 2014, because November=Fall 2013.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
TiVo HD TCD652160 + WD 500GB Expander
Retired: Philips Series 1 HDR212 & TiVo Series 2 540080
NotNowChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #74
TiVo Fool

Verizon has released their Android streaming app. Just Live TV and VOD, doesn't look like you can stream your recordings (yet):

http://newscenter.verizon.com/reside...ndroid-launch/
TiVo Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #75
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wow if that's true then that means it will have been in development for a year. (TiVoStephen claimed they started working on it last November) I wonder if they decided to move away from encrypted HLS to another technology that is more broadly supported? Developing a new system like that would require a change to the software on the Stream itself, so it mig take longer to get going. If it's just using encrypted HLS like the iPad app then I wonder why it's taking so long?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #76
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes. i guess I'll be sticking with my Slingbox 350. Unless they build in stream capabilities into the new TiVo. Which will hopefully still come out this year.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #77
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Man, this really is ridiculous. My wife and daughters all embraced Apple products long ago, but I held out back in the "no mp3 support" days and still have a bad taste in my mouth from that crap (exacerbated by the no SDHC upgrade card slot in iOS devices- $100 extra for what a $10 SDHC card costs). So, here I am with my Samsung Tab and Galaxy S3 and they can stream shows to their ipads, ipods and iphones, and I am stuck. It wouldn't hurt so bad except I am the one who travels a lot for work and could use the downloads on long trips. At least I have Vudu and Ultraviolet, but my shows would be better.

Yesterday for Father's Day, they gave me a Best Buy gift Card as a gift. They told me to get an iPad and sell it once the Android stream app came out. Talk about salt in a OLD wound...

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #78
jcthorne

I travel with my Hisense android tablet with lots of my shows from the Tivo. kmttg does just fine and no stream needed.

Thank you Google for an open platform and no DRM bs in the way. Works great.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #79
cmulvaney

I got screwed twice. lol

I got screwed twice. lol I have a 1 Samsung Tablet running Windows 8 and 1 Sony Tablet Running Android. SMH
cmulvaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #80
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I travel with my Hisense android tablet with lots of my shows from the Tivo. kmttg does just fine and no stream needed.

Thank you Google for an open platform and no DRM bs in the way. Works great.
I have kmttg. I was under the impression that the strem transcodes the program to mp4 much faster than kmttg using videoredo. Is that not the case? If so I may try it.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #81
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Stream can transcode pretty fast, about 20-25 minutes per hour of video. Although if you have a high end PC then you can do the same thing in VideoReDo.

The biggest advantage of the Stream is that it transcodes and transfers all in one shot. So you don't have to transfer to PC, then transcode, then transfer to iPad. You just pick the show and click "Download". It's very convenient. Although if you go the PC route you can cut out the commercials which is nice. Plus you have more fine grain control over the bitrate so you can reduce the file size and/or increase the quality. Although I find the Stream transcodes to be good enough.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #82
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. i guess I'll be sticking with my Slingbox 350. Unless they build in stream capabilities into the new TiVo. Which will hopefully still come out this year.
Even if the stream capabilities were to be integrated into the new gen of boxes doesn't mean that it won't be restricted to Apple as well.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #83
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Stream can transcode pretty fast, about 20-25 minutes per hour of video. Although if you have a high end PC then you can do the same thing in VideoReDo.

The biggest advantage of the Stream is that it transcodes and transfers all in one shot. So you don't have to transfer to PC, then transcode, then transfer to iPad. You just pick the show and click "Download". It's very convenient. Although if you go the PC route you can cut out the commercials which is nice. Plus you have more fine grain control over the bitrate so you can reduce the file size and/or increase the quality. Although I find the Stream transcodes to be good enough.
You hit the nail on the head. While I can do the other things with a PC (and my wife loved the commercial trimming aspect), knowing that I can just have her fill her own ipad before a trip makes the stream a worthwhile investment. And the interface is tivo, so there was zero learning curve. With multiple ipads and lots of checklist items before a vacation, knowing this is so easy is a big benefit.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #84
chart

Where Is Android Support??
chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #85
Austin Bike

Another story popped up this morning:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...ntation-chart/

93% are on the latest OS and there are only a handful of devices.

According to Android's own data:

http://developer.android.com/about/d...rds/index.html

So we still have a pretty sizeable chunk (~2/3) that are on an older version than the most recent rev. This means from a development standpoint that you are either going to a.) have to support a wide range of OS's on devices (lots of work) or b.) tell a lot of people that their devices are not supported (lots of customer satisfaction issues.)

Saying that Android has bigger share than iOS is like saying that there are more hockey fans than Chicago Bulls fans. Yes, it is technically true, but it is a lot easier to make a million Chicago Bulls fans happy than a million hockey fans happy because there is less common ground beneath the hockey fans.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #86
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Another story popped up this morning:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...ntation-chart/

93% are on the latest OS and there are only a handful of devices.

According to Android's own data:

http://developer.android.com/about/d...rds/index.html

So we still have a pretty sizeable chunk (~2/3) that are on an older version than the most recent rev. This means from a development standpoint that you are either going to a.) have to support a wide range of OS's on devices (lots of work) or b.) tell a lot of people that their devices are not supported (lots of customer satisfaction issues.)
The majority of Android devices are on 4.0 or higher. Older devices can be left behind as very few 2.3 devices are still being sold. It's not as difficult to support 4.0 and higher Android devices than it is to support 2.3 devices (older and slower hardware).

Of course 93% of iOS devices will be on the latest software because that is how Apple designed devices on their eco-systems to work. Central control allows that to happen.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #87
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
The majority of Android devices are on 4.0 or higher. Older devices can be left behind as very few 2.3 devices are still being sold. It's not as difficult to support 4.0 and higher Android devices than it is to support 2.3 devices (older and slower hardware).

Of course 93% of iOS devices will be on the latest software because that is how Apple designed devices on their eco-systems to work. Central control allows that to happen.
Ice cream sandwich and jellybean are different and need to handled separately.

And when you take that into consideration, only 1/3 are on the latest version.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #88
Austin Bike

And the statement "older devices can be left behind" may sound simple, but when customers complain, it becomes an issue. It is very complex.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
...but I held out back in the "no mp3 support" days...

What days were these? What didn't support MP3s?
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #90
TiVo Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
And the statement "older devices can be left behind" may sound simple, but when customers complain, it becomes an issue. It is very complex.
Bottom line is TiVo is way behind the competition in providing streaming on Android. Enough with the excuses!
TiVo Fool is offline   Reply With Quote