Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
waynomo
My One Time

Updated TiVo app version 2.0.0 with Android Streaming

It's finally here.

Anyone notice that we're all beta testers?

I wonder if that's intentional (ala Google) or just an artifact that they forgot to remove.

It looks nice and so far runs well.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
It's finally here.

Anyone notice that we're all beta testers?
I saw that release note as well.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

On my home network I had 3 devices working with no problem. I connected a fourth device and it stuttered as it played a program. The other 3 devices still played fine.

Devices used:
Nexus 10
Galaxy Tab 7
Samsung S3
Samsung S4 (this was the last one connected)

Do we know what the limit is for number of devices that we can connect with?

ETA: This was with a Roamio Pro.

Last edited by waynomo : 09-30-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Gadfly

Quote:
On my home network I had 3 devices working with no problem. I connected a fourth device and it stuttered as it played a program. The other 3 devices still played fine.

Devices used:
Nexus 10
Galaxy Tab 7
Samsung S3

This could be more a limitation of your home network (or any home network for that matter) than the program or your Tivo box.

Not saying it is not a limitation of your Tivo box.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
This could be more a limitation of your home network (or any home network for that matter) than the program or your Tivo box.

Agreed.

I'm not complaining. The odds of even having 2 devices streaming here are pretty slim.

I know there us a limit of either 10 or 12 TiVo devices on an account. That includes TiVo boxes and minis.

I'm assuming devices like tablets and phones don't count towards that limit, but I'm wondering if there is a limit to how devices have the ability to stream at any time, not at the same time. Could I have 20 Android devices with the TiVo app installed and would be able to stream if they wanted to?

Last edited by waynomo : 09-30-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Stream hardware can only transcode 4 streams simultaneously, so that's the limit. Phones, Tablets, etc... do not count toward your 12 device limit, that only applies to TiVos and Minis.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Stream hardware can only transcode 4 streams simultaneously, so that's the limit. Phones, Tablets, etc... do not count toward your 12 device limit, that only applies to TiVos and Minis.
Why would a mini count? It doesn't have any content to stream!
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

The limit has to do with the key system they use for protecting content. It's a public/private key system and they only allow so many devices to have access to the public key. I think the Stream itself might count toward the total too.

It use to be 10 devices max, but recently it was discovered that they increased the limit to 12.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

So there is a max limit of streaming to 4 devices at one time. Is there a limit to how many devices can be setup to potentially stream to? Could I potentially have 20 or 30 devices with the app installed, etc. that have the potential to stream from my Roamio Pro?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
tatergator1

Quote:
So there is a max limit of streaming to 4 devices at one time. Is there a limit to how many devices can be setup to potentially stream to? Could I potentially have 20 or 30 devices with the app installed, etc. that have the potential to stream from my Roamio Pro?
I believe the device limit for stream clients is 12.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
That's the limit for the number of TiVos/Minis you can have on your account. AFAIK there is no limit to the number of mobile devices you can have linked to the Stream, but with the way the Android app only works when logged into your account and doesn't support the MAK option like iOS they may be moving toward a limit of some sort. Perhaps in preparation of the release of apps for settop boxes like Roku?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
BigJimOutlaw

If you go into the Stream's System Information page in the Tivo app, there will be a line that reads "Streaming Clients: x/12" (x being the number of streaming devices.) Presumably that's where the 12-limit is coming from.

Unrelated to the account limit of 12 Tivo boxes. Both are apparently 12.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I thought that was a limit of concurrent connections. Also I think it use to say "x/30".
Old 10-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

I recall it being higher too, but not sure what it was. I always assumed it was a device limit.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I thought that was a limit of concurrent connections. Also I think it use to say "x/30".
I don't have the time to search for them right now, but I'm confident there have been past threads from users who had hit the Stream Client max and were unable to stream to a particular iDevice. Once they used the reset button on that sysinfo page for the Stream, they were back in business.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
chelman

I don't mind being beta tester. I'm happy that It's finally here. Unfortunately, my Motorola Xyboard doesn't neither have the hardware, nor the software to stream. So, I may have to get a Samsung Galaxy S.

Manny
Premiere XL4 w/Ethernet connection
Premiere w Ethernet connection
Stream with Android devices
HomeRun HD Prime
Chromecast
chelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
CharlesH

Quote:
I don't have the time to search for them right now, but I'm confident there have been past threads from users who had hit the Stream Client max and were unable to stream to a particular iDevice. Once they used the reset button on that sysinfo page for the Stream, they were back in business.
How do you reset that number when your "Stream" is a Roamio Plus?

(Answering my own question) The "Restart streaming device" button in the "Stream Info" screen of the app's Settings screen? I was afraid to hit this, for fear that it meant to reboot my Roamio. Now I have figured out that the only UI to the Stream is via the App, and that one can think of it as if there were a separate Stream device embedded in the Roamio. That button is just resetting the Stream part, not the whole Roamio.

Last edited by CharlesH : 10-02-2014 at 04:35 PM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
waynomo
My One Time

Being able to delete a program on the TiVo from your phone using the app is a nice plus. That wasn't there before, was it?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
humbb

Another nice feature of the streaming app: Unlike the slingbox player, you can watch a different live program on your phone/tablet than what is playing on your tv. So, for example, you can watch two NFL games simultaneously using your phone as a substitute picture-in-picture.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #20
waynomo
My One Time

For that matter I could use 2 tablets to stream 2 different games and watch a third on the TV.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #21
JWhites

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
How do you reset that number when your "Stream" is a Roamio Plus?

(Answering my own question) The "Restart streaming device" button in the "Stream Info" screen of the app's Settings screen? I was afraid to hit this, for fear that it meant to reboot my Roamio. Now I have figured out that the only UI to the Stream is via the App, and that one can think of it as if there were a separate Stream device embedded in the Roamio. That button is just resetting the Stream part, not the whole Roamio.
Quote:
Been mentioned across the forum the "reset client list" button doesn't work, even tech support admitted it. Their response was that it should reset automatically every 30 days from the activation date, though I've never had that happen nor heard reports of it happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I recall it being higher too, but not sure what it was. I always assumed it was a device limit.
It used to be a 50 streaming client limit before the OOH update last November. When a 13th client is connected a message pops up saying the limit was reached and allows you to reset the count. This was discussed on the past threads when the OOH update rolled out by users who had alot clients connected before the update and received the message after it.

Last edited by JWhites : 10-13-2014 at 01:23 AM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #22
Anchorman

Quote:

Devices used:
Nexus 10
Galaxy Tab 7
Samsung S3

ETA: This was with a Roamio Pro.
It should be able to stream to 4 devices on your home network, but only 1 device out-of-home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

I would think that if it was a limitation of the home network it would affect the first three devices as much as the fourth. Wouldn't the available bandwidth be equally shared among all the devices?

I have a Galaxy S5 and my wife has a Galaxy S3. Both devices have at times worked very well and at other times been subject to the stuttering and pausing you are talking about.
Tivo S2 (Retired)
DirecTivo (Retired)
Tivo Humax w/DVD Recorder (Retired)
Tivo Sony S1 (Retired)
Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote