TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
don280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
Signal strength/lost channels issue on xl4

I just went through an issue with my XL4 that I'd like to share. I am a Cable One customer in the Prescott, AZ area. I got my XL4 in August 2012. Initially, my signal stregnth was on the Tivo channel stregnth meter was between 78 and 80 for all of my channels...SNR was 31-32. I had occasional issues with "pixelation" and I was advised by a Tivo rep to install an amplifier which imporved my sinal stregnth to 88-90...SNR was still 31-32. I had no further issues until last Friday February 15 when I lost 6 of my HD channels. Signal stregnth on the affected channels went from 66 to 0 while all the other operating channels were stable at 82 -85. SNR was 28-29. I bypassed the amplifier and went straight from the wall jack to the Tivo with a new cable and the signal stregnth was down to 74 on the operating channels, and absolutely nothing on the 6 channels I lost initially. I moved the Tivo to another room with a different cable input jack and the readings were the same. Cable guy came out Monday and immediately blamed the amplifier....I watched as he put his meter in the wall jack, and then in the amplifier output jack....the bar readings were obviously higher with the amplifier and he reconnected the cables using my amplifier in the loop. He changed the cable card with no improvement. He then got another tech out to the house and together they couldn't figure out what was causing the issue. They went outside to one of their trucks for over 35 minutes...I could see they were both on their phones. Finally one guy came back to the house with a splitter and proceeded to remove my amplifier from the setup....the other guy came in a couple of minutes later and told the tech to wait a few minutes before he hooked everything back up. He got another phone call and then told the guy that it was OK to proceed. Not only did the affected channels come in, but the signal stregnth was now at 92-94 WITHOUT the amplifier and the SNR was at 35-37. When I asked what caused this dramatic transformation the guy said "we removed your amplifier". When I questioned why this didn't cure the problem the first time he removed the amplifier he was mute.

There is no doubt in my mind that they did something outside of my home to the system to make this dramatic change. I am posting this so that it might be of some help when any of you guys/girls are dealing with a cable company signal issue. I wish they had shared what they did to cure the problem, but whatever it was, my Tivo has been operating perfectly since Monday evening.
don280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |