TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
test drive

Premiere XL - snap, crackle and pop?

Has anyone else been experiencing a very loud pop or crackle noise using Tivo Premiere XL via digital optical to AV? Each time we stop and then start audio feed (ie, pause and restart, replay, FF and RW then play, or alternating tuners via live TV) both live and recorded, there is a speaker sourced "electrical pop" that rotates seemingly randomly. However, the type and location of noise occurs in the same speaker if I replay the same spot in source (via replay) suggesting it's in the processing of the material too.

For background, while the AVR receiver is an older one, it never did this before with prior HD units using the same optical feed. I tested a new optical cable (high end) to replace the original (high end) just in case, but that made no difference. I also hooked up my 2nd new Premier to the same AV system to test the configuration, and that did not "pop", but does make a light "crackle"...

Would appreciate knowing if others have the same issue present or past, and any fixes - last post I could find on this was 2007 with the new S3s...no clear resolution back then from thread, and not sure how that played out...thanks

Last edited by test drive : 04-08-2010 at 05:49 AM.
test drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
jenz

I had the same problem; my Premiere XL was an in-place replacement for my S3 and started getting the same noise. I also noticed I didn't have the TiVo sound effects while in the main menu, so I changed audio to PCM and both problems were solved - no more pop and sound effects returned.
jenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post
I had the same problem; my Premiere XL was an in-place replacement for my S3 and started getting the same noise. I also noticed I didn't have the TiVo sound effects while in the main menu, so I changed audio to PCM and both problems were solved - no more pop and sound effects returned.
Thanks for prompt reply...yes, i tried that with same result, but with PCM switched on, there is major loss of quality in audio signal decoding (presumably losing Dolby Digital native processing) so at least for me, it defeats the purpose of the DD audio...

Interestingly, I went back and tried the 2nd Premiere again (non-XL) in the original configuration and the pop/crackle remains less prominent in all material sources versus the XL, so I wonder whether this is a unit-to-unit issue, a particular XL model effect, and/or mostly configuration dependent?

Last edited by test drive : 04-08-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: "HD" to "DD"
Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
DeWitt

I had this problem with an older receiver and the Tivo HD. The cure was actually simple. The receiver defaulted to auto detect signal optical digital vs anolog rca coax. The HD stopped sending a signal during FF so it was trying to switch to analog. I set the input to optical digital only and the problem went away.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
jenz

OH, I didn't even know the sound quality was different. My ex set this up for me, so I never mess with it. Long story short, I went to a HD channel, and there's a noticeable difference in sound quality between PCM and DD.

Which brings me to the same place as the original post. I have a Sony CT500, and I am getting that pop noise as well. I just tried changing some settings on the receiver to make the pop go away and none worked. Anyone here have this unit and can point me in the right direction?
jenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post
OH, I didn't even know the sound quality was different. My ex set this up for me, so I never mess with it. Long story short, I went to a HD channel, and there's a noticeable difference in sound quality between PCM and DD.

Which brings me to the same place as the original post. I have a Sony CT500, and I am getting that pop noise as well. I just tried changing some settings on the receiver to make the pop go away and none worked. Anyone here have this unit and can point me in the right direction?
The difference is between DD AND pcm, It's taking a 5.1DD signaland converting it to 2.0 PCM.

If it kept it at 5.1PCM they would both sound the same.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
I had this problem with an older receiver and the Tivo HD. The cure was actually simple. The receiver defaulted to auto detect signal optical digital vs anolog rca coax. The HD stopped sending a signal during FF so it was trying to switch to analog. I set the input to optical digital only and the problem went away.
Great advice here from all...given I have a legacy Sony receiver, I believe the default input mode for all components was for auto format decode which "gives priority to digital signals when there are both digital and analog connections. If there are no digital signals, analog is selected". Seems that the other posters who describe this as a momentary loss of D signal reverting to analog and then back to D in any interrupted signal activity state may be correct. I will try to input the override to specify digital audio signals only to the digital optical input jack component.

Update: well it seems that i can not override the auto format decode function that samples analogue mode during the nanosecond transition even by assigning digital only input modes, but for those here at least the issue seems identified as receiver-based. I'll either get a solution from Sony (which I will post for others), or more likely need to upgrade the AVR unit.

Thanks again.

Last edited by test drive : 04-09-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
bfrye

Hi!

This is happening to me as well. The Premier XL just replaced an S3 and I'm getting the sounds described above. Mostly a high pitched "tink" sound with recordings. The settings are the same from the old S3 and on the Premier XL to send DD to the amp but mine is over a direct HDMI connection. Also the sound level seems to be lower with the Premier. I have to turn up the volume on the amp much higher that I did with the S3.

Ugh.

Any ideas?
bfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye View Post
Hi!

This is happening to me as well. The Premier XL just replaced an S3 and I'm getting the sounds described above. Mostly a high pitched "tink" sound with recordings. The settings are the same from the old S3 and on the Premier XL to send DD to the amp but mine is over a direct HDMI connection. Also the sound level seems to be lower with the Premier. I have to turn up the volume on the amp much higher that I did with the S3.

Ugh.

Any ideas?
Some good discussion on this for quite some time...see this forum thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=413495
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
mr68gto

i have an hd tivo and the poping was not there when i got it. only thing i can think of is that its a buggered software update in the box. i get the pops even during changes between comercials and stuff.. any one else have it to this extent
mr68gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
vermurle

I've had the pops and crackle happen when leaving menus, skipping forward or backward, changing channels, or between commercials. Pause-Resume seems to fix it.

getting real annoyed.
vermurle is offline   Reply With Quote