TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
jroofjr

Sync problems

Since early December I've had problems with my audio/video sync. Technical support acknowledges the problem and says there are others with the same problem. I don't understand why it's taking so long to fix the problem. Any thoughts?
jroofjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroofjr View Post
Since early December I've had problems with my audio/video sync. Technical support acknowledges the problem and says there are others with the same problem. I don't understand why it's taking so long to fix the problem. Any thoughts?
On a TiVo? Which model?

Analog cable? Digital cable? SDV? OTA?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
nov1942

audio and picture sync

i too have been having problems. i rewind a few seconds and then go forward again and it seems to sync up. anyone with any ideas on what is issue and how to cure please post.
nov1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
jroofjr

Sync Problems

I've got a Premier XL with analog cable. Don't know what SDV or OTA are.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
tivosupport_kaitlyn

Audio and Video Sync

jroofjr and nov1942,

Can you answer the following questions? Also, could you please send me a Private Message with your TiVo Service Number in it so I can open a case for you, please?

- Does a powercycle resolve? (If so, how long?)
- What cable are you using, i.e. HDMI? (Have you tried more than one?)
- Are you using an A/V receiver? (y/n, what model?)
- Does changing the audio settings resolve? (Dolby Audio or PCM?) To choose Dolby Digital output on these DVRs, go to TiVo Central and select Messages & Settings > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital. Follow the instructions on the screen

Thank you,

Kaitlyn
TiVo Customer Support representative
tivosupport_kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroofjr View Post
I've got a Premier XL with analog cable. Don't know what SDV or OTA are.
Thanks
Switched Digital Video

They don't put the channel (by which I mean the actual content source, like CNN or Lifetime Movie Network or Speed) on the cable on a channel (by which I mean a frequency band 6MHz wide) until a customer asks for it.

The way the customer asks for it is to try to tune their cable box to that "content" and the cable box sends a request back up the cable to something at the cable company which is supposed to put the "content" on the cable and tell the cable box what the center frequency of that 6MHz band is so that it can tune to it. It isn't necessarily going to be at the same frequency it was yesterday or last week.

With a TiVo, not only does this require a cable card or two, it also requires a Tuning Adapter, which connects to the coaxial cable so that it can send the request back up the line to the cable company and connects to one of the USB ports on the TiVo so that the TiVo and it can communicate about what "channel" the TiVo wants to tune to in order to receive particular content.

If it had been designed by Rube Goldberg, it would have been more simple.

If you're using analog cable you don't have to worry about any of that yet.

Over The Air

Television station broadcasts, which are now digital and no longer analog, which your Premiere XL is capable of receiving with a good enough antenna feed.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
jroofjr

video sync

I do not have a cable box or cable cards. I am feeding the cable straight into the Tivo, or TV as appropriate. The Tivo worked properly until the latest software update in early December. I dodn't have any external audio either. Just the Tivo box and the TV.