TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
andrew1883

Shifting service plans between TiVos?

I have 3 active TiVos (and one inactive) and having just lost analog cable I'm wondering if there's a way to shift the plans around. The machines are:
  • S2DT (500GB) [S2/500]: Service only, annual (paid through May 2013)
  • S2DT (80GB) [S2/80]: TiVo Lifetime Service since 2004
  • Premiere (320GB) [P]: Service Only, 1 Year, Monthly (looks like I'm committed through Aug 2013)

I assume TiVo won't refund the remaining partial year on the S2/500? Or credit to another box? In that case I'm wondering about loading it up with recordings from the PC, the S2/80, and maybe SD from the P (if SD recorded on the P is compatible with an S2), then not renewing service in May. I don't have a signal for it to record any more (I could invest in a digital-analog adapter I suppose, but it seems like throwing good money after bad).

Is there likely any way I can move the LT from the S2/80 onto either the S2/500 or the P? I guess if not, I could again transfer SD recordings from the past or from the P. If I were willing to lose (or transfer to PC) everything on the S2/80, I could swap in the 500GB and use it with LT service?

Finally, if TiVo's not going to let me transfer the LT from S2/80 to P, am I allowed to sign up for LT on the P now? I just paid $13 for another month and I'm thinking that if I want LT then I might as well get it now for $400 rather than waiting another 6 months. Is $400 (MSD price) the best I'm likely to get on the P?

[added: I also noticed there's no offer of a year @ $99 on the S2/500. Only $9.95/mo or $399.99 LT (MSD pricing). Is that new?

Thanks!
=aw

Last edited by andrew1883 : 02-21-2013 at 12:31 AM.
andrew1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

You could transfer (swap drives) the 500gb drive to the lifetime box. On letting it go inactive Tivo might offer a deal on lifetime service. Then sell it on ebay and put that toward switching the premiere to lifetime.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Lifetime is fixed to the single box, not transferable. The other subs are transferable.
If you log in to your tivo.com account, you can see and make future plans for when those run out. $99 lifetime, you might be able to get after the subs run out and calling Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
andrew1883

Thank you both. I'm thinking in the short term, it makes sense to leave the 500GB in the inactive TiVo, after filling it with recordings from the other(s)? Because that's 500GB of watchable material. The 80GB w/LT can at least pull stuff off the PC or Premiere going forward. Am I right an SD recording on the Premiere will play on the S2DT?

Good idea about selling an S2 w/LT, I was thinking there was no value to analog any more but of course that's not entirely true. Also the one with LT now is from 2004 and the one that (might) get the $99 LT is from 2008.

They didn't offer a LT deal when I let the third S2DT go inactive, but maybe they will this time.

I'm not being offered $99/yr on the S2DT, just $9.95/mo or LT. Have they dropped the annual deal on those? That box is finishing a $99 year in May.

=aw
andrew1883 is offline   Reply With Quote