TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
RickStrobel

One TiVo Premiere and one TiVo Series 3 with one remote?

Is there any way to control two different TiVos - i.e. a Premiere and a Series 3 with one remote?

I like the newer TiVoGlo remotes with the Select button in the center. But they don't have the "1-2" switch like some of the older TiVos. Is there any way to use that one remote to control either TiVo?

The two boxes will be in a rack. I guess without the switch there'd be no way to select which TiVo you'd be working.

So, the next question, assuming there's no good answer for my first... If you're going to have to have a unique remote for each TiVo then you'd use the procedure Controlling two TiVo boxes with separate remotes, correct?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

It would be a pita, but you could reprogram the remote each time you have to switch to the other Tivo. Other than that, you're stuck with two remotes if you insist on using a peanut remote w/o the 1-2 switch.

Last edited by scandia101 : 02-24-2013 at 09:47 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Is there any way to control two different TiVos - i.e. a Premiere and a Series 3 with one remote?

I like the newer TiVoGlo remotes with the Select button in the center. But they don't have the "1-2" switch like some of the older TiVos. Is there any way to use that one remote to control either TiVo?

The two boxes will be in a rack. I guess without the switch there'd be no way to select which TiVo you'd be working.

So, the next question, assuming there's no good answer for my first... If you're going to have to have a unique remote for each TiVo then you'd use the procedure Controlling two TiVo boxes with separate remotes, correct?
The older Glo remote has the Select in the center of 4 separate arrow buttons AND the 1-2 switch.

Is there a reason to prefer the newer one?

And a question to everyone in general, is there a reason for TiVo being so stupid as to get rid of the 1-2 switch (instead of making it a 3 or 4 way switch)?

Do they have something to gain by forcing people into a one TiVo only per room situation?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The older Glo remote has the Select in the center of 4 separate arrow buttons AND the 1-2 switch.

Is there a reason to prefer the newer one?
There are 4 buttons (A-yellow, B-blue, C-red, & D-green) on the Premiere remotes, used to sort and filter the HD menus that are not on the older Series 2 & 3 remotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And a question to everyone in general, is there a reason for TiVo being so stupid as to get rid of the 1-2 switch (instead of making it a 3 or 4 way switch)?

Do they have something to gain by forcing people into a one TiVo only per room situation?
You can still use multiple TiVos you just need a separate remote for each Premiere (unless of course you are using a good universal remote).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Just get a Harmony remote, then it can control your TiVos as well as your other devices. I have several TiVos programmed into my main Harmony remote. Each one with a different remote code. At one time I had four TiVos in that room to control. My Harmony One remote made it very easy.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I love the peanut too much to move to a Harmony, none are as good as the peanut for me.

I had the same dilemma, pondered it, and stuck with the old Glo with 1-2 switch, for the rare times I need ABCD buttons I grab the Premiere peanut from the ottoman, I use the 1-2 switch way WAY more than the ABCD buttons.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
WO312

I am not at all familiar with the Glo remote, but can't you do the press 2 buttons, select 1 -7, then right arrow to change the code that the remote is controlling? I don't remember which buttons you push anymore, but it's easy to control up to 7 different Tivos that way.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The older Glo Remotes have the 1-2 switch but not the A-B-C-D buttons. I have one of each.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I am not at all familiar with the Glo remote, but can't you do the press 2 buttons, select 1 -7, then right arrow to change the code that the remote is controlling? I don't remember which buttons you push anymore, but it's easy to control up to 7 different Tivos that way.
I swear there was another post on just how to do that within the last couple weeks in a thread, but I can't find it again for the life of me.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Well, yes, but as I stated it would be a pita to have to do it every time you want to control the other Tivo. Once the Tivos are set to different code, the process is easy. You just press and hold the pause and Tivo buttons until the red light comes on and then choose which code (1-9) that you want to use and your done. Easy, but not practical.

I have two Tivos in my living room and use an old S2 remote with the 1-2 switch. I like the Premiere remote, but I need to control two tivos and I very rarely need the colored abcd buttons. In fact, it's been so long that I have no clue how long it's been since I've needed to use those buttons.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Well, yes, but as I stated it would be a pita to have to do it every time you want to control the other Tivo. Once the Tivos are set to different code, the process is easy. You just press and hold the pause and Tivo buttons until the red light comes on and then choose which code (1-9) that you want to use and your done. Easy, but not practical.

I have two Tivos in my living room and use an old S2 remote with the 1-2 switch. I like the Premiere remote, but I need to control two tivos and I very rarely need the colored abcd buttons. In fact, it's been so long that I have no clue how long it's been since I've needed to use those buttons.
Ah, O.K., I guess I skimmed over your post. But I've done it before and it's not really a PITA. Takes 2 seconds, once the remote code on each Tivo is set up.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote