TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
JulienPDX

New Tivo App (2.0) awesome but won't run on Jailbroken iOS devices

Title says it all. I got so upset about this issue, I responded to the thread on TiVo's website with a filedropper link to the previous version (1.9.1) as well as instructions on how to put it back on your ipad/iphone so that it will run.

Tivo is blaming CableLabs for this "glitch" saying that CableLabs requires that they not be running on a jailbroken iOS system.

I say this is over-reaching and that the few companies that have tried to do this before were shotdown in the tech press for doing it; as well as having to deal with a lot of pissed-off customers.

(see Skype, myAT&T, NetFlix).

I've asked TiVo to either tell us what/how this app is "checking " (Since there are reports of people getting this error message even when they are not jailbroken) and why specifically this isn't allowed; since the new application still doest not give us real access to the recordings (unless you own an as-yet available streaming device)
JulienPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
SullyND
W:29-16

What do you mean by "as-yet available"?
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This has been known since the app was released last Monday. There is a project called xCon that allows people to trick apps into thinking they are not running on a Jailborken device but they have to adjust it for ever app. Someone already submitted the TiVo app and they are working on adding support for it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienPDX View Post
I got so upset about this issue...
I imagine the OP is the type of person to get upset over everything (including my post) but it's not hard to unjailbreak an iPhone and get the use of the TiVo app back.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
falken98

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
I imagine the OP is the type of person to get upset over everything (including my post) but it's not hard to unjailbreak an iPhone and get the use of the TiVo app back.
If someone put a padlock on your door you could also burn down your house and rebuild it to fix the problem. I would rather just figure out a way to remove the padlock.
falken98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken98 View Post
If someone put a padlock on your door you could also burn down your house and rebuild it to fix the problem. I would rather just figure out a way to remove the padlock.
This analogy is not very good. A more accurate version is that I have been evicted for breaking the terms of my lease.

Some apps don't support jailbroken phones. It's not complicated, if you want an easy life you do things properly. If you want to spend your time messing with broken software that works perfectly for everybody else that's your choice. It's not something to be 'upset' over because it's an entirely self-created unnecessary problem.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
spaldingclan

there is a newer version released yesterday (2.0.1) Anyone who's "stuck" on 2.0 dare to try it and see if it "fixed the Jailbreak issue? I was able to get back to 1.9.1 so I'm not about to try.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

2.0.1 still won't run on a jailbroken device. It did seem to get a little further though. Instead of just crashing, I could see the "pick a DVR" screen behind the jailbreak notice but I couldn't tap on anything.

The xCon work seems to be proceeding, so there might be a fix available soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by windracer : 09-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
rudolpht
HD Maven

Tivo App will not work with iOS 6.0 Golden Master, i.e., the download everyone will be making next Wed. I assume there will be yet another Tivo app revision to contend with to mitigate the JB issue.
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post
Tivo App will not work with iOS 6.0 Golden Master, i.e., the download everyone will be making next Wed. I assume there will be yet another Tivo app revision to contend with to mitigate the JB issue.
The app (2.0.1) works just fine on ios6 GM on my iphone 4 and ipad 2. I did not try it with 2.0
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
ShayL

I did have an interesting issue with the app. It complained about my ipad being jailbroken. It is not currently, but used to be. I set it up as a new ipad and worked fine. There is something is the settings that it is detecting even though it is no longer jailbroken.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Jeff_DML

The app is checking because I assume Cablelabs is requiring TiVo to do it so they could be allowd to stream cable content via TiVo Stream to the app.

I wouldnt blame TiVo and seems like a reasonable request from Cablelabs. You would rather not be allowed to stream cable content to your appple device?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
The app (2.0.1) works just fine on ios6 GM on my iphone 4 and ipad 2. I did not try it with 2.0
The app "works" but Tivo stream does NOT, meaning the app doesn't fully work. Did you get Tivo stream to work and how????
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
BigErn

There is a new version of xCon available that works with app version 2.0.1. It enables all features including the Tivo stream. So much for that unbreakable jailbreak detection Tivo.
BigErn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #15
ShayL

Quote:
The app "works" but Tivo stream does NOT, meaning the app doesn't fully work. Did you get Tivo stream to work and how????
I just said play on device and it worked fine. I think you should contact TiVo support.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Works just fine on my iPhone 4s running the GM of iOS6

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
I just said play on device and it worked fine. I think you should contact TiVo support.
What version of the OS and what did you use to JB? If it is no longer JB, then it seems like a useless comment in this thread.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Works just fine on my iPhone 4s running the GM of iOS6
Thank you. Maybe it's an iPad issue.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErn View Post
There is a new version of xCon available that works with app version 2.0.1. It enables all features including the Tivo stream. So much for that unbreakable jailbreak detection Tivo.
Excellent. Do you have a repo for the newer version of xCon and do you need to patch the Tivo app?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
bguzik
Barry R. Guzik

Quote:

Excellent. Do you have a repo for the newer version of xCon and do you need to patch the Tivo app?
My understanding is that it will be released via Cydia ASAP. In the meantime, it is available as a download from the xCon issues support page. If you have xCon already installed (v36), then you can get to the xCon support site via Cydia.

The patch is BRAND new this morning. It works great w/v2.01 and my JB iPad 3.
bguzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
rudolpht
HD Maven

GitHub comes to the rescue. https://github.com/n00neimp0rtant/xCon-Issues/issues/94
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
windracer
joined the 10k club

The xCon patch worked on my iPhone 4S and first-gen iPad (both running iOS 5.1.1). I don't have a Stream but I'm happy to have the app back.

|
Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

Cool. Can anyone with a Steam confirm that streaming and transferring work with this patch?if somis there any way to use the Jailbroken status of your device to copy the sideloaded video to a PC?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This has been known since the app was released last Monday. There is a project called xCon that allows people to trick apps into thinking they are not running on a Jailborken device but they have to adjust it for ever app. Someone already submitted the TiVo app and they are working on adding support for it.

Dan
New version fixes the problem for me
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
bguzik
Barry R. Guzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Cool. Can anyone with a Steam confirm that streaming and transferring work with this patch?if somis there any way to use the Jailbroken status of your device to copy the sideloaded video to a PC?

Dan
Hi Dan,

Yes, I have the new Stream, and a Jailbroken iPhone 4 and iPad 3. Streaming and downloading work just as well now with the xCon patch as they do on my Non Jailbroken iPad 2.

While the Stream works and is usable, my feedback would be that the TiVo App & Stream Software is still a "work-in-progress", that still needs some major fixes. (Like a rearrange of how it has to stream by first starting a recording of LiveTV. ...which is stupid. If there is no way around that, then TiVo needs to delete the recording automatically after you're done streaming.)
bguzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #26
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzik View Post
Hi Dan,

Yes, I have the new Stream, and a Jailbroken iPhone 4 and iPad 3. Streaming and downloading work just as well now with the xCon patch as they do on my Non Jailbroken iPad 2.

While the Stream works and is usable, my feedback would be that the TiVo App & Stream Software is still a "work-in-progress", that still needs some major fixes. (Like a rearrange of how it has to stream by first starting a recording of LiveTV. ...which is stupid. If there is no way around that, then TiVo needs to delete the recording automatically after you're done streaming.)
the ipad app asks you if you want to delete...
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
mrizzo80

I tried cleaning up (deleting old passes mainly) my Season Pass list via the iPhone app tonight. This functionality appears broken. Swipe-to-delete looks like it works, but when you exit the SP Manager screen and go back to it the deletions did not actually commit.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #28
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
the ipad app asks you if you want to delete...
I don't think it does if you are watching live tv only if you stream a recording.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
spaldingclan

so any idea when xCon will be updated to support the Tivo app?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
so any idea when xCon will be updated to support the Tivo app?
It's been updated already, it's just not in Cydia yet. If you know how to SSH into your phone and install a package, you can find the download link to the "beta" version in the issue thread:

https://github.com/n00neimp0rtant/xCon-Issues/issues/94

|