TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
mitkraft

Can a Premiere record the output of RF Modulator (Ch 3)?

Can a Tivo Premiere record the output of an RF modulator? I have the 2 tuner OTA capable Tivo Preiere. I'd like to archive some stuff my DTV DVR before I disconnect it all together. Can I connect its VHS ouputs to an RF modulator and record it on the Premiere? Would I just tune the premiere to CH3? How would I tune to an analog channel 3 (as opposed to the cable card or atsc channel 3)? Anyone done this?
mitkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's probably doable, but there are better ways. Consider a video capture device that connects to your computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
mitkraft

I'm more interested in quick and easy.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Is it stuff that is never going to air again, ever, on any channel? If not, why not set up an autorecord wishlist for it on the Premiere and get it when it airs again?

Otherwise, you should be able to do what you propose with an RF modulator, but the recording will be named something like "manual recording" and you can't edit it. It would be better to capture it to a computer, convert it to a .tivo file, then send it to the Premiere with any program info and name you want.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitkraft View Post
Can a Tivo Premiere record the output of an RF modulator? I have the 2 tuner OTA capable Tivo Preiere. I'd like to archive some stuff my DTV DVR before I disconnect it all together. Can I connect its VHS ouputs to an RF modulator and record it on the Premiere? Would I just tune the premiere to CH3? How would I tune to an analog channel 3 (as opposed to the cable card or atsc channel 3)? Anyone done this?
I guess your DTV DVR doesn't have a built-in modulator like VCRs have. But you can connect the output of some channel 3 modulator to either the antenna input or the cable input on the TiVo, whichever one you're not already using. You're only trying to feed in one NTSC analog channel, and the frequency assignment for cable channel 3 is the same as for OTA channel 3, so either should work (without guide data, of course). For the TiVo to even try to tune a channel from the input you're not already using, you'll probably have to rerun Guided Setup and tell the TiVo you have both antenna and cable. Connect the modulator before you do that. If you have different channel plans available, just pick one, since you won't actually receive any of those channels anyway. When the TiVo gets done detecting channels, it should have found your usual channels plus analog channel 3 on the other input. It may actually show you guide data for channel 3, but that has nothing to do with your channel 3 feed. You'll have to schedule recordings from the modulator manually.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Better idea, get a DVD recorder connect the rca out to rca in on the recorder. Once done you can use it to archive shows off your TiVo onto DVD (alternative to transfers to pc) this also allows recording video from other sources perhaps not so easily transferred to pc.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (awaiting Android support/app update)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
bobdole888

I don't think premier can record ch3 from VCR.

Premier only has digital tuner. I can't record analog ch3 from VCR.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
mitkraft

I foolishly thought that I might not get the usual "why the heck would you want to do that" or "it'd be so much better if you could do such and such" but I fear I left too much unsaid. This isn't content that I will just die if I don't get saved which also is why I don't want to go through the trouble of getting my unused-for-quite-some-time video capture pc up and running again. I'm also looking for a free solution with what I have on hand. The content is event coverage and not a show so it won't be re-aired or at least not to that extent.

Because of all that I'd like to just capture it in some easy readily available method and since the two DVR's are sitting next to one another and I have at least one rf modulator laying around it seems like a good option. But the Tivo tuning capabilities aren't as cut and dry lately and I've been DTV for a while so haven't kept up and I'm not sure about the Premiere's ability to record an analaog RF signal or how

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
you'll probably have to rerun Guided Setup and tell the TiVo you have both antenna and cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
I don't think premier can record ch3 from VCR. Premier only has digital tuner. I can't record analog ch3 from VCR.
These are the two bits of info I was really looking for. First of CAN the premier even record analog ch3 (the suggestion above about hooking to the "antenna or cable in" isn't exactly that straight forward on a Premiere. The cable in is for the cable card (as I understand it) and the Antenna in I'm not sure does NTSC. bobdole888 is saying he doesn't think it can which is what I feared. I was looking for confirmation one way or the other.

But even if it did, as David suggested, would I have to re-run guided setup (bad option because it would disrupt current lineup and scheduled recordings) or could I just tune to Ch 3.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's only the Premiere 4 (and variants) that's limited to digital channels.

I don't know if the Premiere handles broadcast NTSC, since it's been off the air (except for a handful of channels around the country... none here) since before the Premiere came out. But, broadcast channel 3 and cable channel 3 are the same, so you can at least use the cable connector. The next hurdle is getting it to recognize channel 3. Do you happen to have one in your lineup already? If you get an analog channel 3 from your cable company, and it's not overlaid by a digital, that might be the easiest to deal with...

But I would really question whether this is the "quick and easy" solution you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
L David Matheny

Quote:
I foolishly thought that I might not get the usual "why the heck would you want to do that" or "it'd be so much better if you could do such and such" but I fear I left too much unsaid. This isn't content that I will just die if I don't get saved which also is why I don't want to go through the trouble of getting my unused-for-quite-some-time video capture pc up and running again. I'm also looking for a free solution with what I have on hand. The content is event coverage and not a show so it won't be re-aired or at least not to that extent.

Because of all that I'd like to just capture it in some easy readily available method and since the two DVR's are sitting next to one another and I have at least one rf modulator laying around it seems like a good option. But the Tivo tuning capabilities aren't as cut and dry lately and I've been DTV for a while so haven't kept up and I'm not sure about the Premiere's ability to record an analaog RF signal or how

These are the two bits of info I was really looking for. First of CAN the premier even record analog ch3 (the suggestion above about hooking to the "antenna or cable in" isn't exactly that straight forward on a Premiere. The cable in is for the cable card (as I understand it) and the Antenna in I'm not sure does NTSC. bobdole888 is saying he doesn't think it can which is what I feared. I was looking for confirmation one way or the other.

But even if it did, as David suggested, would I have to re-run guided setup (bad option because it would disrupt current lineup and scheduled recordings) or could I just tune to Ch 3.
The 2-tuner Premieres can indeed record analog NTSC signals, although I've never actually tried that. I will assume that you're currently receiving digital OTA signals via the antenna input. I don't think you can activate the other input (cable) without doing Guided Setup, but I could be wrong. So first try connecting the modulator output to the (currently unused) cable input and do a "Scan for channels" under Settings. Analog doesn't require a cable card. If that fails to find a new cable channel 3, then you could disconnect your antenna feed, connect the modulator to the antenna input, and retry the scan, which should then find it. Or with that (already active) input you might be able to just enter "3" as the channel number and get it added to the channel list. Once you can view the modulator output through the TiVo, you should be ready to go, using manual recordings of course. Since you're recording analog, you might want to look at the recording quality setting, wherever that is under Settings.

The reason I suggested rerunning Guided Setup (for antenna and cable) in my earlier post was to allow you to leave your antenna connected and thus leave the Premiere able to record (on one tuner anyway) even while you're transferring old recordings from the DTV DVR. Guided Setup shouldn't mess up your season passes, but it would take a while, during which recordings would not take place.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 02-26-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Better idea, get a DVD recorder connect the rca out to rca in on the recorder. Once done you can use it to archive shows off your TiVo onto DVD (alternative to transfers to pc) this also allows recording video from other sources perhaps not so easily transferred to pc.
I second this. I have a dvd recorder with HDD and regularly record things from my Dish dvr, Tivo and Roku player. I can edit on the HDD, if I want, and then burn to dvd. It only makes SD recordings though. You would need a pc capture device to keep things in HD. But going through s-video or composite would look a lot better than going through a rf input.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
mitkraft

Thanks for the extra info. A question though: it was mentioned that I might "connect to the unused output" and also that I might need to rerun setup to initilize the analog tuner. I don't have an unused output since the Premiere only has two conectors, one for antenna and one for cable. I have both connected since I'm currently configured for Digital OTA as well as Digital cable via cable card. Does anyone know which connection is used for analog cable? Is it the cable (which I thought was only for the cable card) or is it the antenna? I'm starting to think maybe I'll just have to connect it and expriment. My cable service is currently all digital and tuned via cable card so there is currently no analog signal mixed in.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
L David Matheny

Quote:
Thanks for the extra info. A question though: it was mentioned that I might "connect to the unused output" and also that I might need to rerun setup to initilize the analog tuner. I don't have an unused output since the Premiere only has two conectors, one for antenna and one for cable. I have both connected since I'm currently configured for Digital OTA as well as Digital cable via cable card. Does anyone know which connection is used for analog cable? Is it the cable (which I thought was only for the cable card) or is it the antenna? I'm starting to think maybe I'll just have to connect it and expriment. My cable service is currently all digital and tuned via cable card so there is currently no analog signal mixed in.
OK, I hoped you were using only an OTA antenna or maybe only digital cable, but not both. If you use both, then there's no way to connect the NTSC modulator analog signal without first disconnecting one of your inputs and thus wrecking guide recording from that input for the duration of a transfer session. A cable card shouldn't interfere with feeding the modulator signal through the cable input since people with digital cable can still record analog cable too. You just have to get analog channel 3 into the channel list for at least one of the inputs.

Try this: Sometime when your to-do list is empty (for a few hours) for one input or the other, tune to a station on that input, disconnect that input cable, connect the modulator to that input connector, then manually tune channel 3. Hopefully that will add analog channel 3 for that input and you will see the output of the modulator, which you can then record manually. If entering "3" doesn't add the channel, you can try using "Scan for channels" under Settings, as discussed earlier. You will, of course, have to swap cables and do your transfer work only during periods when nothing (from the guide) is scheduled on the input you're using. You'll also have to beware of overlap on shows recorded from the other input.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 02-26-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Does anyone know which connection is used for analog cable? Is it the cable (which I thought was only for the cable card) or is it the antenna?
Cable is cable. Analog and digital channels come in together on the same line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
A cable card shouldn't interfere with feeding the modulator signal through the cable input since people with digital cable can still record analog cable too.
...unless the CableCard says, "Here, take this digital channel and map it to channel 3," overriding the analog channel.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
mitkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Cable is cable. Analog and digital channels come in together on the same line.

...unless the CableCard says, "Here, take this digital channel and map it to channel 3," overriding the analog channel.
Where as I've never been unclear that "cable is cable" and that they are on the same line, I guess I was unsure how the Premiere treated the cable input when a cable card is installed. I was always under the impression when the cable company was digital and analog that all the channels were digital and only some of them were duplicated in analog. Meaning I thought that a digital cable box (or cable card) didn't bother itself with analog channels since it could get them all digitally. Therefore I wasn't sure if a Premiere with a cable card even recognized alaong channels on the cable input. I also didn't know if there was any analog tuner on the antenna input. I will report back if/when I get a chance to experiment.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I was always under the impression when the cable company was digital and analog that all the channels were digital and only some of them were duplicated in analog.
Many cable systems are that way, but some aren't, and have channels that are only in analog.

Quote:
Meaning I thought that a digital cable box (or cable card) didn't bother itself with analog channels since it could get them all digitally.
There are digital-only cable boxes, like the Premiere 4. But the regular Premiere tunes both analog and digital cable.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
SNJpage1

I've never tried it and have no idea if it would even work, but can the hard drive be taken out of the DVR and connected to a PC and take the files off the hard drive doing it that way?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I've never tried it and have no idea if it would even work, but can the hard drive be taken out of the DVR and connected to a PC and take the files off the hard drive doing it that way?
No, that won't work.

If it were an old DirecTV TiVo unit, and it was hacked for MRV, then the recordings could theoretically be moved off that way, but that is not the case here.

With a DirecTV DVR (non-TiVo) you can't extract anything.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #19

Everyone's making this too complicated. Just hook your output device to the antenna input on your TiVo. Then scan for channels and record channel 3.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
mitkraft

Everyone is making it appropriately complicated given the fact that nobody has tried it and can say for sure. Not all tivos can record analog OTA, does a cable card take over the cable input, is a channel scan required (because it would no longer see your regular channels on the input the RF mod was using). Sure its a lot of chatter for a simple task but its not like the particulars are clear. And since I haven't had the chance to try it yet I appreciate the discussion and information. This isn't my old Phillips Tivo 1 we are talking about.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
SNJpage1

I have an old Panasonic DVD recorder that I use to use to transfer saved Tivo programs to DVD with. However since getting VideoRedo and a bluray burner for my PC I do everything on the computer. Any way maybe you can find a friend that has a DVD burner that you can borrow.