TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
SnakeVargas

The Following - The Siege - S01 E05 - OAD 2/18/13

The show is becoming my favorite guilty pleasure as characters continue to take implausible sometimes nonsensical actions.

As I expected a new serial killer was introduced and then immediately killed. Unfortunately for Joe Carroll's lawyer, he cut her fingers off ahead of time but rather than seek protective custody she has become Joe Carroll's media outlet.

A virus of some sort prevents tracking the phone to an exact location. Can anyone explain this? The explanation for this slipped by me. The FBI wastes hours not sending anyone because exact location is not known. Once they decide to send someone it is of course only two agents who split up so one cannot back up the other. A spectacular spree of murders and yet a massive lack of available manpower. Fortunately a redshirt deputy is available to be killed when the decision is made to assault the cabin without backup. I suspect they'll kill off the other redshirt deputy next week.

Carroll's wife is able to ditch her FBI detail with little effort and willingly hops in a car with a follower. Nothing bad can happen from this, right?

Girl in basement is still alive. Fortunate for her I suppose, but perplexing considering she is residing with 2.5 serial killers. Best part is when Ryan puts the gag back on her because she won't shut the **** up.

Unsecured kid runs away. Duh. Returns with captor when told she will let him talk to his mom.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Azlen

I'm not a police officer and have never received any type of training but even I know that when you are holding a possible suspect at gunpoint and he acts scared but is moving toward you, that is not a good thing.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
SnakeVargas

Yes, I would expect a scared person to move away from me not to move toward me.

That deputy was destined to die since the moment he got in the car with Ryan.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeVargas View Post
The show is becoming my favorite guilty pleasure as characters continue to take implausible sometimes nonsensical actions.

As I expected a new serial killer was introduced and then immediately killed. Unfortunately for Joe Carroll's lawyer, he cut her fingers off ahead of time but rather than seek protective custody she has become Joe Carroll's media outlet.

A virus of some sort prevents tracking the phone to an exact location. Can anyone explain this? The explanation for this slipped by me. The FBI wastes hours not sending anyone because exact location is not known. Once they decide to send someone it is of course only two agents who split up so one cannot back up the other. A spectacular spree of murders and yet a massive lack of available manpower. Fortunately a redshirt deputy is available to be killed when the decision is made to assault the cabin without backup. I suspect they'll kill off the other redshirt deputy next week.

Carroll's wife is able to ditch her FBI detail with little effort and willingly hops in a car with a follower. Nothing bad can happen from this, right?

Girl in basement is still alive. Fortunate for her I suppose, but perplexing considering she is residing with 2.5 serial killers. Best part is when Ryan puts the gag back on her because she won't shut the **** up.

Unsecured kid runs away. Duh. Returns with captor when told she will let him talk to his mom.
Way to go! We think alike.

Add to the above the amount of time it (seems to) take to get to "the scene of the crime". Last week it took about 45 minutes for the young agent to go around the building and through the side door, left ajar by KBacon and shoot the wife who seemed to have plenty of time to drug Bacon, tie him up and torture him. This week it took same agent (what could be measured in) hours, to drive with the female trooper 2 miles to the farmhouse.

And the kidnapper cutting the elderly couples throats with a garden hoe!!?? I can't even start with that one.

There is just way too much contrived nonsense in the scripts to make it watchable.

I am hoping that they smarten up. I think Kevin Bacon is a superb actor and the basic premise of the show could be developed a lot better. The shows producers must be on drugs or a schedule so tight that it doesn't permit a very high degree of realism.

It's just too unbelievable.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm not a police officer and have never received any type of training but even I know that when you are holding a possible suspect at gunpoint and he acts scared but is moving toward you, that is not a good thing.
Oh yes.

I forgot that scene.

It was ridiculous.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post

And the kidnapper cutting the elderly couples throats with a garden hoe!!?? I can't even start with that one.
It's art.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
It's art.
One that they teach in Joe Carroll's School for Gifted Serial Killers?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Family

The show is 24.

Suspend all belief or don't bother watching.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Oh yes.

I forgot that scene.

It was ridiculous.
Considering all those guns that guy had, I had assumed he'd take at least one to confront the cop instead of going unarmed and taking the cop's gun.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Considering all those guns that guy had, I had assumed he'd take at least one to confront the cop instead of going unarmed and taking the cop's gun.
Yes, that was odd.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
verdugan

Quote:
Oh yes.

I forgot that scene.

It was ridiculous.
Agreed. I was rolling my eyes as the bad guy started advancing.

Another thing that is ridiculous is the defense lawyer clearly transmitting a message to Joe's followers and the FBI doesn't do anything?

I'm "this" close to giving up on this show.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Cereal_Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm not a police officer and have never received any type of training but even I know that when you are holding a possible suspect at gunpoint and he acts scared but is moving toward you that you shoot him, shoot him in the head!!.
Fixed that for you!

Like some of the other posters, I can handle a lot of bull-sheet in my TV dramas, but the law enforcement personnel in this show are beyond stupid.

How come that younger FBI guy always said, “We’ll be there in a few minutes”’ and never actually shows up until after people are dead?

How come that attorney (even if scared) didn’t tell the cops, what happened to her and why, when she first got that bloody stub of a finger?

Did she just go to a hospital and say: opps , I accidentally sliced off my finger making a sandwich in my office?

Unreal!!
Cereal_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
How come that younger FBI guy always said, “We’ll be there in a few minutes”’ and never actually shows up until after people are dead?
HE'S A FOLLOWER!

Which fits my theory that Carroll has taken over the entire human race, literally every person on Earth, except Jack Bauer Ryan, and now they're all just messin' with him.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
HE'S A FOLLOWER!

Which fits my theory that Carroll has taken over the entire human race, literally every person on Earth, except Jack Bauer Ryan, and now they're all just messin' with him.
That would explain so much! I like it.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
The show is 24.

Suspend all belief or don't bother watching.
This exactly. There's so much that doesn't make any sense. Yet, I'm still watching. I find it fun, even though it's totally unbelievable.

To me the worst was the ex-wife. Is she that irrational that she didn't realize that it was a trap? It's obvious that once Kevin Bacon closes in on the son, they will use the mom for leverage.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
VegasVic
Craps Player

Once Bacon screams "TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS!" it will be officially 24. That's all that's been missing.

But I like it
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeVargas View Post

The local Law enforcement was in a rural area. They don't see murderers in their area. Heck the officer may have never shot his gun. And I doubt he ever shot anyone. No matter what training he had, you never know how a person will react in that situation. Plenty of law enforcement officers have been killed in real life in situations where they come across someone and they still get killed even though they have a gun. I don't see this as being unrealistic.

The lady in the basement hasn't been killed because they want the one guy(aaron I think) to kill her. That is the only reason she is still alive. Otherwise one of the other two people would have killed her already, since they are the ones that have killed before. The other guy(aaron?) has never killed before and they want him to get his first kill.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
VegasVic
Craps Player

I would have thought once the new guy came in and said "you have 10 minutes to get out" the first thing they would have done is kill the basement girl. There was no time to quibble about who did it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
tiams

Local deputy - We can't see the guy's face in this grainy store video

FBI dude - let me route it through FBI servers, there ya go, crystal clear.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
VegasVic
Craps Player

Yeah I always love when they take grainy, low resolution pics and turn them into pristine HD pics.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Yeah I always love when they take grainy, low resolution pics and turn them into pristine HD pics.
Just because you can't does not mean the FBI can't. I mean, they have super duper computers and software and stuff!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Exactly...why would the FBI let local law enforcement have their super-duper high tech? Then there would be nothing to make the FBI special, and they wouldn't be able to sneer at the local yokels when they blow into town on a big case.

Sounds perfectly realistic to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
eddyj

Quote:
Exactly...why would the FBI let local law enforcement have their super-duper high tech? Then there would be nothing to make the FBI special, and they wouldn't be able to sneer at the local yokels when they blow into town on a big case.

Sounds perfectly realistic to me.

More realistic than the way people act in this show.

I have now decided that the serial killer developed a defense shield that all his followers have. It reduces the IQ of anyone chasing them by 50-100 points. It is brilliant!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I would have thought once the new guy came in and said "you have 10 minutes to get out" the first thing they would have done is kill the basement girl. There was no time to quibble about who did it.
Of course, they love killing people, but the main reason for killing basement girl was so the kid wouldn't realize they are bad guys. Since that ship has sailed, and everyone already knows who they are, no good reason to kill her except for fun.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The local Law enforcement was in a rural area. They don't see murderers in their area. Heck the officer may have never shot his gun. And I doubt he ever shot anyone. No matter what training he had, you never know how a person will react in that situation. Plenty of law enforcement officers have been killed in real life in situations where they come across someone and they still get killed even though they have a gun. I don't see this as being unrealistic.

The lady in the basement hasn't been killed because they want the one guy(aaron I think) to kill her. That is the only reason she is still alive. Otherwise one of the other two people would have killed her already, since they are the ones that have killed before. The other guy(aaron?) has never killed before and they want him to get his first kill.
In that particular rural county, they probably have seen a murder or two. It's less than 100 miles north of NYC and a couple of the big towns, probably have their fair share of crime.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
Talon
Chally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Exactly.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
bruinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
The show is 24.
Quote:
Add to the above the amount of time it (seems to) take to get to "the scene of the crime". Last week it took about 45 minutes for the young agent to go around the building and through the side door, left ajar by KBacon and shoot the wife who seemed to have plenty of time to drug Bacon, tie him up and torture him. This week it took same agent (what could be measured in) hours, to drive with the female trooper 2 miles to the farmhouse.
this is the opposite of 24.. in 24, they had warp speed travel that allowed them to drive 80 miles in traffic in 15 minutes.

I like this show, despite all of the valid arguements put forth so far.
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:

HE'S A FOLLOWER!
THANK YOU!!

Damn; can this show get any more transparent??????????
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #29
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post

I like this show, despite all of the valid arguments put forth so far.
Me too.

Oh sh**!! Did I say that out loud??
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Of course, they love killing people, but the main reason for killing basement girl was so the kid wouldn't realize they are bad guys. Since that ship has sailed, and everyone already knows who they are, no good reason to kill her except for fun.
um, what? U drunk?
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote