TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
sw10025

Tivo Series2 Not Receiving Satellite Signal

Hi, I'm having a problem with one of my two Series2 Tivos. I've had it hooked up to Dish Network for years now, no problems. A few months ago, it said it wasn't receiving the satellite signal, so I plugged the Tivo in to another Dish receiver elsewhere in the house, it received the signal fine, so I plugged it back into the original receiver, and it was working again so I figured something just got jostled.

Every once in a while since then, the same thing happens. The signal stops being passed through, or at least that's what the Tivo claims, then I restart the Tivo and it works again. Well, it happened again tonight, but despite repeatedly rebooting the Tivo, the problem hasn't been resolved, I still get a black screen and the "searching for signal" error message. I've connected the satellite directly to the TV to confirm that the signal is in fact being sent through correctly from the satellite receiver, and I even replaced the cables connecting the Dish receiver and the Tivo just in case there was a problem there. No change.

(As an aside, the curious thing is that it "failed" during a recording, yet apparently despite the fact that the Tivo claims the signal was not coming through, it continued to record part of the program I had been recording, and even recorded several minutes of the next program which was scheduled to start immediately after the first. My rebooting of the Tivo interrupted those recordings, but since I haven't been able to replicate it recording the program even when it claimed it wasn't receiving the signal.)

I've checked the Tivo.com troubleshooting section for this problem on Series2 receivers, done everything they've suggested, the video input source is still listed correctly, I ran the troubleshooting function from the Tivo, I changed channels to see if it was affecting all or just some channels (all), and rebooted the Tivo, all to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should do next? Should I redo guided setup to see if that helps? I just changed the HD about a year ago, so I'm hoping that's not the problem -- I upgraded to a larger drive sold by the fellow on eBay that folks here recommended. Think I'll have to buy a new part? (I've replaced hard drives on both Tivos, one fan, and one power supply over the years, so I can probably manage basic repairs)

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
sw10025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
sw10025

Update: Chatted and phoned Tivo technical support this AM, and they believe my input on the back of the Tivo has malfunctioned. Said it would cost me $350 to get it replaced. That's an incredible non-starter.

However, it occurs to me that I have several Series 1s and an old Series 2 lying around somewhere that aren't being used, anyone have any idea whether I can fairly easily replace the input plugs (the back panel, I'm assuming) from one unit to another without causing problems?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

What model of TiVo do you have and does it have lifetime?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
sw10025

Its a TCD240080 and yes, it has lifetime. Weaknees says it'll be $150 to repair it, unfortunately, I just don't have the money at this time to have them repair it.

I've also been checking prices for Series 2s on eBay - Tivo tells me only Series 2s will work with Dish Network...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
sw10025

Update #2: I can't believe it, the picture came back just now! Don't know how long it will last, I'm sure there's still something wrong, but the longer I can delay the expense of the repair, the better!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw10025 View Post
Its a TCD240080 and yes, it has lifetime. Weaknees says it'll be $150 to repair it, unfortunately, I just don't have the money at this time to have them repair it.

I've also been checking prices for Series 2s on eBay - Tivo tells me only Series 2s will work with Dish Network...
What are the model numbers of the other TiVos you have lying around there?

And have you opened up the problem one to visually inspect the power supply capacitors?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
sw10025

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What are the model numbers of the other TiVos you have lying around there?

And have you opened up the problem one to visually inspect the power supply capacitors?
I haven't opened it up, it started working again, and I don't want to touch it while its working in case it stops working because of anything I do.

I have to correct myself, I thought I had at least one Series 2 lying around, from looking at weaknees, its actually a Series 1. So I have a total of three Tivo Series 1s lying around that aren't in use. My recollection was that it was having some strange grid lines showing up on the screen, and something else happened, I don't remember what, which is why we replaced it. Don't think it was the power. The back says its an HDR31202 Model No. PTV300. Its probably the same as the other two Series 1s I have, since I bought them from the same source within months of each other.

If you think it might be the power supply, IIRC I've replaced one of those before on the other Series 2 Tivo, so presumably I could do it again.

Last edited by sw10025 : 02-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I haven't opened it up, it started working again, and I don't want to touch it while its working in case it stops working because of anything I do.

I have to correct myself, I thought I had at least one Series 2 lying around, from looking at weaknees, its actually a Series 1. So I have a total of three Tivo Series 1s lying around that aren't in use. My recollection was that it was having some strange grid lines showing up on the screen, and something else happened, I don't remember what, which is why we replaced it. Don't think it was the power. The back says its an HDR31202 Model No. PTV300. Its probably the same as the other two Series 1s I have, since I bought them from the same source within months of each other.

If you think it might be the power supply, IIRC I've replaced one of those before on the other Series 2 Tivo, so presumably I could do it again.

The S1s (non-Direct TV type) are all basically the same machine, whether Philips or Sony, but of no use in troubleshooting an S2 for the average not an electronics technician owner.

Check the power supply (with the unit unplugged) on that S2 to make sure that none of the capacitors show any sign whatsoever of leakage or bulging.

Especially check the ones underneath where the heat sink bends over.

The tops have to be absolutely ruler flat.

Leakage will be a rusty brown. The white stuff that looks like marshmellow creme is just glue to hold things in place while the board got soldered.

Do you actually currently have a second S2 in the house?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
sw10025

Quote:
Do you actually currently have a second S2 in the house?
Yes, I have another Series 2 that is working fine. You had previously told me how to check for the leakage when I was having problems with the other unit a year or so ago -- I ended up changing the HD and the power supply (just in case, turns out the old HD was really dead) so I have an extra power supply that I believe is in working order.

I will check the unit for the leakage next time it loses the satellite signal...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Yes, I have another Series 2 that is working fine. You had previously told me how to check for the leakage when I was having problems with the other unit a year or so ago -- I ended up changing the HD and the power supply (just in case, turns out the old HD was really dead) so I have an extra power supply that I believe is in working order.

I will check the unit for the leakage next time it loses the satellite signal...
What model is that other S2?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
sw10025

Quote:
What model is that other S2?
The other S2 is the same model number.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
The other S2 is the same model number.
Then you can swap power supplies and see if the problem follows the supply or stays put.