TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Azlen

Criminal Minds star tops list of most appealing TV actors among faith based audiences

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/criminal-mi...--finance.html

I saw this article and I thought I was reading something from the Onion. Criminal Minds doesn't seem anywhere close to being a faith based show and the actress is openly gay. I guess NCIS is popular with church goers as three of the top five are from that show, but weirdly Mark Harmon isn't one of them. Something just seems very off with this.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/criminal-mi...--finance.html

I saw this article and I thought I was reading something from the Onion. Criminal Minds doesn't seem anywhere close to being a faith based show and the actress is openly gay. I guess NCIS is popular with church goers as three of the top five are from that show, but weirdly Mark Harmon isn't one of them. Something just seems very off with this.
It's too bad she can't be openly gay in the tv show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
It's too bad she can't be openly gay in the tv show.
I just don't think they've ever considered it, but I certainly think her character is enough of a free thinker that she could expand her dating pool and still be true to herself.

OTOH I find it wonderfully ironic that she's thought of as appealing to faith based audiences
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
JMikeD

I find it unsettling that a faith-based audience would be watching a show that seems to specialize in showing violence towards women. Or it did back when I watched it.

Just my $0.02 worth.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I find it unsettling that a faith-based audience would be watching a show that seems to specialize in showing violence towards women people.
FYP. But this x1,000.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I find it unsettling that a faith-based audience would be watching a show that seems to specialize in showing violence towards women. Or it did back when I watched it.

Just my $0.02 worth.
what a ridiculously stupid thing to say

its a show about a team of FBI agents who catch serial killers

what is the show supposed to specialize in ?
FBI agents having cooking contests with surprise ingredients in baskets ?

you watch the show and see a show specializing in showing violence towards women.

the faith-based audience watches the show and sees highly trained, skilled and caring professionals who bring killers, sex traffickers, child abductors and other dangerous criminals to justice while showing empathy and compassion to the victim's families

I think the difference between what you see and what they see says quite a bit about you
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post

you watch the show and see a show specializing in showing violence towards women.

the faith-based audience watches the show and sees highly trained, skilled and caring professionals who bring killers, sex traffickers, child abductors and other dangerous criminals to justice while showing empathy and compassion to the victim's families

I think the difference between what you see and what they see says quite a bit about you
Are you saying that Criminal Minds doesn't frequently include graphic depictions of violence and abuse? Sure, it shows the perpetrators get caught, but that doesn't negate the fact that CM is one of the most, if not the most, violent shows on broadcast network TV.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Are you saying that Criminal Minds doesn't frequently include graphic depictions of violence and abuse? Sure, it shows the perpetrators get caught, but that doesn't negate the fact that CM is one of the most, if not the most, violent shows on broadcast network TV.
Not necessarily directed at you because JMikeD raised the question initially, but have you seen "The Passion of the Christ"?

Hopefully the faith-based audience isn't sitting there watching with their young children, but I've watched the show for years and enjoy it. The violence is, after all, a fictional depiction. I quite agreed with this:
Quote:

JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:

Jeez, dude. Tone it down some.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
mrdazzo7

I found this quote interesting:

Quote:
"These are very entertaining shows, but they don't push the envelope when it comes to content. They are not trying to be controversial," Philpott added.
I'm not typically a squeamish person but CM easily has some of the most gruesome, sadistic, twisted, and unsettling scenarios I've seen on TV - especially network TV. I can totally see people watching and appreciating that the show is really about the men and women who stop the people who perpetuate the crimes, and there's ultimately a 'good triumphs over evil' vibe, but to say the show doesn't push the envelope or isn't controversial is hilarious. 90% of their content is messed up, and it's not like all of it 'hinted at' - they take it pretty far most of the time.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I'm not typically a squeamish person but CM easily has some of the most gruesome, sadistic, twisted, and unsettling scenarios I've seen on TV - especially network TV. I can totally see people watching and appreciating that the show is really about the men and women who stop the people who perpetuate the crimes, and there's ultimately a 'good triumphs over evil' vibe, but to say the show doesn't push the envelope or isn't controversial is hilarious. 90% of their content is messed up, and it's not like all of it 'hinted at' - they take it pretty far most of the time.
I think this season's marionette episode was easily one of the most disturbing pieces of fiction I have seen on television in quite some time.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I think this season's marionette episode was easily one of the most disturbing pieces of fiction I have seen on television in quite some time.
Yes. Just yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I've also had a tough time adapting to the violence, but the stories are so well written I had to suck it up and plow through. Over time I'm better at dealing with it, and glad I do, but there are episodes like the marionette one that are really hard and I have to pause.

FWIW it's not the gore that ever gets to me, that I can ignore, but the actual violence and evil.