TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
spotterman26

TiVo Mini Audio

New to the forum, first post!
I know the mini is a new product, and support is nearly impossible to find, but I figured I'd ask here as a shot in the dark. First off the details of my setup.. TiVo premiere q, two TiVo minis, Suddenlink cable.
One mini works great, these things are very cool, works perfectly for my purposes. The other is the issue. After 1.5 hrs of inactivity, the mini goes into standby. When I turn the tv back on, I get the standby screen, and when I press the TiVo button to reactivate the mini, I get picture but no audio. The only way to bring it back is to pull the plug and reboot. After it goes into standby again, repeat the previous scenario.
I've had a tech out here twice and they've been great, but the issue persists. They've swapped out that specific mini once already and again, same issue. The other mini has no issues, box comes back from standby without problems.
I talked to TiVo, and the tech didn't even know what the TiVo mini was. At least I tried, right?
Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
spotterman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterman26 View Post
I know the mini is a new product, and support is nearly impossible to find, but I figured I'd ask here as a shot in the dark. First off the details of my setup.. TiVo premiere q, two TiVo minis, Suddenlink cable.
One mini works great, these things are very cool, works perfectly for my purposes. The other is the issue. After 1.5 hrs of inactivity, the mini goes into standby. When I turn the tv back on, I get the standby screen, and when I press the TiVo button to reactivate the mini, I get picture but no audio. The only way to bring it back is to pull the plug and reboot. After it goes into standby again, repeat the previous scenario.
I've had a tech out here twice and they've been great, but the issue persists. They've swapped out that specific mini once already and again, same issue. The other mini has no issues, box comes back from standby without problems.
I talked to TiVo, and the tech didn't even know what the TiVo mini was. At least I tried, right?
Just a shot in the dark, but you may be having a problem with your hdmi handshake. Try a new hdmi cable, or if it has the connections try component cables.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
overFEDEXed

Try here.

Quote:
Welcome to the forums. We have lots of questions for you also, about the Mini's

Post here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...491537&page=18 and you might get better results. There is no Mini forum, yet. Maybe somebody could move the thread.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 02-18-2013 at 08:41 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
spotterman26

I'll give another hdmi cable a try, thanks for the idea. I'll check out the mini thread too, glad to contribute!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
spotterman26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Just a shot in the dark, but you may be having a problem with your hdmi handshake. Try a new hdmi cable, or if it has the connections try component cables.
Swapped out hdmi cables, same issue. When I get home this afternoon I'm going to try two things:

1. Setting the Q to only allow 1 tuner. I figure it can't hurt, plus I'm curious what happens.
2. Swap the minis out and see if it's a line issue or the box itself. I highly doubt it's the box since this is the 2nd one I've had, they swapped it out once already. But at least I can eliminate that for good if I swap them.

Sorry for the repeated posts, I'm trying to get my post count up so I can post pictures!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
TZR916

Things you can do on the Tv-
Unplug it from power for 5 minutes.
Do a Factory Reset.
Update the Tv Firmware.
Bypass any surround sound/soundbar (connect it directly into Tv).
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I agree - swap the minis and I bet the problem presents itself again on the same TV and is not Mini specific. If I am correct, then your problem is likely an HDMI handshake issue - your TV is not handling the communication properly.

If that is the problem, a component cable setup will bypassess the DRM handshake.

Do you have a receiver or anything else connected to this TV / Mini?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
spotterman26

Nothing else is connected to this TV or Mini. I had a Premiere connected before the Mini became available. I never had this issue then, the Mini was connected via the same HDMI that the previous Premiere was using (before I swapped it out for a spare HDMI last night). Then again the Premiere didn't use a standby feature.. obviously something is going on when the Mini goes into standby.
The Mini doesn't have a traditional component connection. It's got what looks to be the size of a headphone jack labelled component. The tech yesterday said he was told in training to use HDMI first (the mini comes with an HDMI cable) and then if there are issues, I could order a component setup from TiVo. There isn't anything on the TiVo site like this yet..
I spoke with a TiVo rep today, he said they were beginning training on the mini later today.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Nothing else is connected to this TV or Mini. I had a Premiere connected before the Mini became available. I never had this issue then, the Mini was connected via the same HDMI that the previous Premiere was using (before I swapped it out for a spare HDMI last night). Then again the Premiere didn't use a standby feature.. obviously something is going on when the Mini goes into standby.
The Mini doesn't have a traditional component connection. It's got what looks to be the size of a headphone jack labelled component. The tech yesterday said he was told in training to use HDMI first (the mini comes with an HDMI cable) and then if there are issues, I could order a component setup from TiVo. There isn't anything on the TiVo site like this yet..
I spoke with a TiVo rep today, he said they were beginning training on the mini later today.
Swap the MiNi's and that will help diagnose your problem.

I did a little research and it looks like Roku's use a similar 3.55mm cable to component connector:

hthttp://support.roku.com/entries/22...mponent-cable-

Let us know how your test goes this evening.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 02-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
spotterman26

That connector looks right. Hopefully I won't have to go that route, but it's cheaper than buying a new tv if it's a hdmi handshake issue. Got a few more hours at the office and then it's time to experiment! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

If you identify that this is an HDMI handshake issue, check with the television OEM to see if there is a firmware update available.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Please post some photos of the Mini!

This way when it fails at launch for us retail customers, at least we can see what it would have looked like!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
spotterman26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If you identify that this is an HDMI handshake issue, check with the television OEM to see if there is a firmware update available.
Swapped Minis, same problem. I'm willing to give in that this is the issue. So, tried waking the mini before turning the tv on, and *POOF*, I have picture and sound. Cycled power on both, repeated the same method and everything works. The mini has gone to sleep once and come back fine since then.
I've got a 3.5mm to RCA around here somewhere, I might try that if it happens again before looking into 1) buying 3.5mm to component cables or 2) tv replacement.
Thanks again for giving me some insight into what the issue might be. Seems like we've got it figured out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Please post some photos of the Mini!

This way when it fails at launch for us retail customers, at least we can see what it would have looked like!
I loaded a bunch of photos of the mini and linked them to the thread posted higher in this thread. Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...491537&page=32
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I've got a 3.5mm to RCA around here somewhere
If it is designed for a component cable, I don't think that an RCA cable will work. I would call TiVo and have them send you a proper component cable.

Do check on the TV firmware options. I don't know how old your TV is, but the HDMI handshake problem caused a lot of software adjustments - if you TV is more then a couple of years old, I bet you have an update available.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Ben_Jamin75

Just an idea, but what happens if you change inputs on the TV? If the mini is connected to HDMI1, switch to HDMI2 then back.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
vsherel

No sound

I just installed my mini and all went well till I shutoff the TV when it comes back on no sound.
Tried my hdmi cable from my Apple TV and it's hdmi position 3 still no sound.
Dd a re-start with the TV on and the sound comes back, but if I turn off the TV the next time I turn it on no sound with out a restart?
vsherel is offline   Reply With Quote