TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Help with codec?

I've had TiVoToGo installed on my computer before. I removed it because I needed the space, and now I'd like to reinstall it, but it says I need the codec needed to play .tivo files.

Looking at the website it looks like this is something you have to pay for? Am I misreading it? Help!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
jbernardis

I couldn't get .tivo files to play on my PC until I forked over the $25 and bought TivoDesktop Plus. As soon as I did that, it started working like a champ!!

I even tried reinstalling BOTH WMP and TivoDesktop first before buying plus, but it didn't help; I kept getting the codec error.
jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
dwit

If you have WinDVD, CyberPower DVd, Nero, etc. , players already in your systems, those players have codecs that may/should work with Tivo Desktop.

I don't have Tivo Plus and I'm sure many more(maybe most) don't have plus.

If you like the features of Tivo Plus, that's fine but if you just want to play your Tivo videos on your system, Tivo plus may be a last resort.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 10-24-2007 at 08:19 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
gdomeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit
If you have WinDVD, CyberPower DVd, Nero, etc. , players already in your systems, those players have codecs that may/should work with Tivo Desktop.

I don't have Tivo Plus and I'm sure many more(maybe most) don't have plus.

If you like the features of Tivo Plus, that's fine but if you just want to play your Tivo videos on your system Tivo plus may be a last resort.
I have Nero on my pc and it will not play the tivo files I have transfered over (hd)
gdomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
classicsat
Astute User

.tivo files are MPEG2.

Officially/Legally, MPEG2 codecs need to pay a license fee to the MPEG Licensing authority.

You can get technically illegal MPEG2 free codecs and players though.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdomeier
I have Nero on my pc and it will not play the tivo files I have transfered over (hd)
I won't speak on HD(hi def) as I don't have a hi def tivo. That may or may not be related to just the codec.

I have 3 computers with Tivo Desktop on all three. None are the plus version.

My laptop came with WinDVD and Intervideo decoder shows as the video codec when playing Tivo shows.

On one desktop, Nero shows as the video codec. An oem version of Nero I recently installed probably became the default decoder.

On my most recent build, something called DScaler Mpeg2 decoder is listed as the codec. I don't even know where that came from. I have several players on this system: PowerDVD, Nero oem, Snapstream BeyondTv4. For a while, the Snapstream codec took over and Tivo Desktop would not use it. So I didn't use this computer with Tivo for a while. When I decided to udate to version 2.5 Tivo Desktop, it adopted this Dscaler codec from somewhere, but it works.

Now I need to update my Snapstream BeyondTv4 but I'm leery of doing so as it may become the default codec and not work with tivo again.

I guess no codec at all is one problem. Too many and conflicting codecs is another.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 10-24-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
jmpage2

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with such problems. I reported in another thread that I was having issues with playback of .Tivo empeg files for some programs, they would play back and show truncated lengths, etc.

Playback on another PC with a different video encoder demonstrated that the problem did appear to be related to the codec used on this particular Vista PC.

Interestingly enough querying the Windows Media Player during .Tivo or .mpg playback showed Nero as the audio codec but for the video codec there is just a '-' character.

Then I made the mistake of loading the Vista Codec pack that many people claim have solved their codec issues in Windows Vista. After doing this the audio and video were out of synch and nothing I did seemed to correct the issue.

This is a mess. At this point I am doing a full system restore with a backup snapshot from about three weeks ago. If after loading this and reloading Tivo Desktop (and maybe uninstalling nero first) things continue to not work I will have to contemplate re-installing the machine from scratch, which would really, really suck.

Why the hell can't MS provide a codec cleaner/scrubber or at least a windows media player installation or repair kit for Windows Vista?

What a mess.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
greg_burns
Now in HD

I've recommended in the past Cole 2K codec pack. YMMV

http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Downloaded that, and I'm still getting the message that it won't work.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead
What version of WMP are you using?

Also, has your system received all updates from Microsoft?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 10-24-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead
You're getting a message? During playback? Usually, when a codec doesn't work you just don't see anything or it looks garbled.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
justen_m

I've used the K-Lite Codec Pack temporarily on a workstation that didn't include any DVD software, despite having a DVD burner. The DVD drive was just for installing software. I used version 6.6. Looks like it is up to 9.8.5 now, so obviously that was a long time ago.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote