It's not very often that I download shows from my Series 2, so it wasn't until last night that I got hit by this bug. I didn't feel like turning my computer's clock back a full month, so I found another solution. The root of the problem is an expired Session ID (sid) cookie. If you're using an up-to-date version of Firefox, you can fix it with these steps:
- Using Firefox, log on to your TiVo's Web interface.
- Hit Shift-F2. A small toolbar will open at the bottom of the browser window.
- Type cookie set sid 1 into the toolbar and hit Enter.
- Close the toolbar and download your shows.
These steps will replace the expired cookie with a new one that is good until you close Firefox. Once you quit and start Firefox again, you will need to repeat these steps.
toolbar is not available in older versions of Firefox. If you are unable to upgrade to the latest version, there are a few add-ons you can install that will allow you to edit cookies. Install one, find the sid
cookie for your TiVo and change the expiration date.
If you use another browser, you'll have to find a method of editing cookies that is appropriate for that browser.
Thanks goes to CuriousMark for his information on cURL cookies in the thread "Ultra 4 no longer archiving Tivo files
" over at readynas\dot\com, and to Martin Brinkmann for his article "Edit or remove cookies from Firefox’s Developer Toolbar
" over at ghacks\dot\net. (Sorry, I'm too new here to post actual links.)
Hopefully TiVo gets this fixed soon and this hack becomes unnecessary.