TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Twoflower

Question Downloading by HTTP: "session id missing"

Hello,

Strange development today. For months I've been able to download files off my TiVo premiere by pointing my web browser at its IP address on my local network. (I can't use the tivo desktop software for some odd reason, it can't connect, but I've never had issues just straight up pointing a web browser at it and logging in with my media access key.)

But today, while I can log in with my MAK and browse the files, I can't download them. I get a message of "Bad header, session id missing." Nothing's changed with my browser or TiVo; I was downloading just fine this morning, even. I tried restarting the TiVo and no go.

Any idea what's going on and how to resolve it?
Twoflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
Hello,

Strange development today. For months I've been able to download files off my TiVo premiere by pointing my web browser at its IP address on my local network. (I can't use the tivo desktop software for some odd reason, it can't connect, but I've never had issues just straight up pointing a web browser at it and logging in with my media access key.)

But today, while I can log in with my MAK and browse the files, I can't download them. I get a message of "Bad header, session id missing." Nothing's changed with my browser or TiVo; I was downloading just fine this morning, even. I tried restarting the TiVo and no go.

Any idea what's going on and how to resolve it?
Mine started doing the same thing ... dumping the HTTP headers it was giving cookies that expired two hours ago.

Try setting the time on your computer back a day or two?
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...11#post9526311
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Twoflower

As a followup -- that thread's got the solution, if anybody else is having this problem and found this thread first.

KMTTG is able to download despite the update which broke a lot of Tivos, provided you check "use java to download instead of curl".
Twoflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
As a followup -- that thread's got the solution, if anybody else is having this problem and found this thread first.

KMTTG is able to download despite the update which broke a lot of Tivos, provided you check "use java to download instead of curl".
Actually this thread has the solution.

Like notting said, roll the PC's clock back.

'Cause Desktop users can't "use java instead".

Although that had better be the temporary solution until TiVo very quickly fixes whatever they did to screw things up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
argon18

It's not very often that I download shows from my Series 2, so it wasn't until last night that I got hit by this bug. I didn't feel like turning my computer's clock back a full month, so I found another solution. The root of the problem is an expired Session ID (sid) cookie. If you're using an up-to-date version of Firefox, you can fix it with these steps:
  1. Using Firefox, log on to your TiVo's Web interface.
  2. Hit Shift-F2. A small toolbar will open at the bottom of the browser window.
  3. Type cookie set sid 1 into the toolbar and hit Enter.
  4. Close the toolbar and download your shows.
These steps will replace the expired cookie with a new one that is good until you close Firefox. Once you quit and start Firefox again, you will need to repeat these steps.

The Shift-F2 toolbar is not available in older versions of Firefox. If you are unable to upgrade to the latest version, there are a few add-ons you can install that will allow you to edit cookies. Install one, find the sid cookie for your TiVo and change the expiration date.

If you use another browser, you'll have to find a method of editing cookies that is appropriate for that browser.

Thanks goes to CuriousMark for his information on cURL cookies in the thread "Ultra 4 no longer archiving Tivo files" over at readynas\dot\com, and to Martin Brinkmann for his article "Edit or remove cookies from Firefox’s Developer Toolbar" over at ghacks\dot\net. (Sorry, I'm too new here to post actual links.)

Hopefully TiVo gets this fixed soon and this hack becomes unnecessary.
argon18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

All I did was post a link back to Morac's workaround over there.

I deserve no credit, it all goes to the great people here.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by argon18 View Post
  1. Using Firefox, log on to your TiVo's Web interface.
  2. Hit Shift-F2. A small toolbar will open at the bottom of the browser window.
  3. Type cookie set sid 1 into the toolbar and hit Enter.
  4. Close the toolbar and download your shows.
These steps will replace the expired cookie with a new one that is good until you close Firefox. Once you quit and start Firefox again, you will need to repeat these steps.
These instructions are perfect. I did not know about that console; that will be very useful for many things in the future.

TiVo has issued a patch to make TiVo Desktop work again. I took a look at the install and noticed that they're using cURL in the app. The cURL configuration file looks like this:
Code:
user-agent = TivoDownloader/0.1
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"
Looks like the sid cookie can be set to anything; it's just the expiration that matters.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote